Pic of the Day

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
On my way to work this morning. It's a shame I'll have to spend the day in the office.
IMG_5357.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Will YOU ever be the same?
Yes of course! I was only a few miles from home, it wasn't as though I was in the wilderness with roaming grizzly bears, and mountain lions, rattlesnakes and so forth.

PS: The XT mech that I bent severely was actually an SLX mech. I consulted my spares list that some of you may remember I made a week ago or so. As luck would have it, I had a new SLX mech in its box in the garage. AND I had a new slickwire inner gear cable. I spent what later seemed far too long cleaning, stripping down and straightening the bent mech. It was good to have a new one to compare it with because the new cage is subtly not straight. I very briefly pondered on refitting the straightened mech, but decided to put it on my list of used spares. It should work; apart from some scratches, it looks exactly the same as the new one.

I'm not doing too well for 12s mechs on this bike I am averaging one mech every 1024 miles. That is the original XT mech and two new SLX mechs. The one I just fitted is the fourth.

What is it about 12-speed? I never broke or bent any other mech, from 6-speed upwards to 11-speed! My previous emtb was 11-speed and all ever had to do was a mech hanger alignment and to renew the jockey wheels in almost 3100 miles.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
…..What is it about 12-speed? I never broke or bent any other mech, from 6-speed upwards to 11-speed! My previous emtb was 11-speed and all ever had to do was a mech hanger alignment and to renew the jockey wheels in almost 3100 miles.
Don’t worry. It is normal to get confused during riding as only having 10 fingers when counting shifting gears up an down. Starting at 0 works up to 11 but with 12 you quickly end up in trouble,, because to re-calibrate your brains memory you have to look down to check chain visually on the cassette and while doing so you keep running and hitting whatever comes along. That is btw why Shimano invented these gear indicators.😉

Tepi

Nov 18, 2018
Finland
Tarkoitat ketjun luistamista kuormituksen alaisena 10t vaihteella. Kaikki tarkastettiin ja todettiin olevan kunnossa. Kun pyörä kasattiin, kaikki oli OK. Epäilen siis, että se oli siivouksen yhteydessä poistettua murskattua kasvillisuutta koneeseen. Jopa ylämäkeen kiipeäminen Boostissa aiemmin tänään ei saisi sitä luisumaan, joten uskon, että se oli korjattu! Kunnes rikoin sen tänään.:kikatus:
Vaurion aiheutti todennäköisesti kasvillisuus risut takertumalla takavaihtajan pienien hammaspyörien väliin .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Vaurion aiheutti todennäköisesti kasvillisuus risut takertumalla takavaihtajan pienien hammaspyörien väliin .
"The damage was probably caused by vegetation twigs getting stuck between the small gears of the rear derailleur."

NO, I know it was definitely me! I had ridden up to the stone monument and then extracted a few bits of vegetation from the mech. I suspect that I inadvertently moved the chain to a different gear. Whatever I did, it didn't like it! When I set off, I had hardly moved a few feet when I felt and heard the mech bending into the cassette, taking the chain with it. My fault. :(

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Mielestäni Steve tarvitsee nimen uudelleen Wedding Crasherista mech masheriksi 😁
"I think Steve needs a renaming from Wedding Crasher to mech masher"

With my average of just over a thousand miles per mech on my current bike, I would agree that it would be more apt. But I'm not in charge of the Sorting Hat, so I'll have to stay as the Wedding Crasher.

But I'm off to OZ for another family wedding, this time the younger brother of the last one. I have a track record to defend! :ROFLMAO:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
"The damage was probably caused by vegetation twigs getting stuck between the small gears of the rear derailleur."

NO, I know it was definitely me! I had ridden up to the stone monument and then extracted a few bits of vegetation from the mech. I suspect that I inadvertently moved the chain to a different gear. Whatever I did, it didn't like it! When I set off, I had hardly moved a few feet when I felt and heard the mech bending into the cassette, taking the chain with it. My fault. :(
Steady on Steve ..that's a very concise reply for you mate ..is the heat getting to you or wot ? 😉

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
It really continues as a Jäger Steig aka trail made of stone slabs for quite a long distance
Some years ago in winter time I came down from up there in the back by snowboard. Loooooong ride down the valley. Lots of ski resorts in the Alps switching to summer mountain activities to compensate fading days with snow in winter. What might be not so good for their mountain nature as well.

IMG_3318.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Chase and Penyard on the Rail today. It was planned as a solo ride but by chance I met up with some people I know and occasionally ride with. Which was nice.
941C9592-8A28-4C27-B82C-3D7B8A4F5837.jpeg

Until it wasn't...
IMG_0273.jpeg

Nice little OTB on a rocky section.

In other, happier, news; my new 7IDP knee pads work.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Decided to pop up to Gisburn Forest yesterday. Good afternoon riding once I got there. I forgot the Royal Lancashire Show was on and I had to travel through all the traffic getting there. Came back a different route! ;-)

Did one and a half loops of "The Eight", 20 miles bar a few yards, 2200ft of climbing, 1650kCals burnt off.

Much drier than I was expecting after Saturday afternoon's downpours. Not that busy either, plenty of spaces in the car park.

Only weird thing there were plenty of families cycling (mum, dad, kids) - that's not the weird bit - but they were taking them on the Red runs - not safe on some of them runs!

Also, twice I came across people walking the trails! One couple were on the Hope Line walking down. I had "stern" words with them about how dangerous the trail is with bikes hurtling down to do the rollers and jumps.

Also some of the lower Eight (Circle, Rocky Road) had been harvested (trails still maintained, well done Forestry England) so it felt weird riding what were dark, tight, twisty trails with close in tree trunks in broad daylight and just avoiding tree stumps...

Evidence...
Rise and Logs.jpg

Route
Gisburn 8 loops.jpg

Battery did well on the Rise (360wHr) - almost 40% left by the end, another 16 miles range on Eco according to the display.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
View attachment 144138 View attachment 144139 View attachment 144140 View attachment 144141 View attachment 144142 This was our last stop on the Alps tour.
Winterberg bike park or as they say nowadays The Mother 😳
The Mother? As they do use otherwise on the website and for shops the german „Mutti“ the translation „Mother“ might not be accurate. The way we use Mutti is more like „Mummy“ / „Ma“.

Not to mix up with the other famous Mutti in Europe:

IMG_3321.jpeg

or our former Mutti Merkel 😂

IMG_3323.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles