Orbea Rise , anyone seen one yet ?

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Yeah it'll do me for now but I will be getting the range extender when they become available. Getting quoted beginning of April when they are due in. Just in time for when the weather should be looking better and the days longer
I ordered mine a couple weeks ago. They cannot ship directly to consumers being a battery. I heard February somewhere. I’d order now and get on the list. I believe I paid $599.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
I ordered mine a couple weeks ago. They cannot ship directly to consumers being a battery. I heard February somewhere. I’d order now and get on the list. I believe I paid $599.
I'd be getting it from the online shop where I got the bike from and they're not available to pre order yet.

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
Custom-ordered bikes from their site are due June or later next year. They are currently filling their dealer orders, so if you have an Orbea dealer anywhere near your locale, you might be able to score something they have coming in.

As an aside, YT Industries is sold out through next year. Dear lord...

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Custom-ordered bikes from their site are due June or later next year. They are currently filling their dealer orders, so if you have an Orbea dealer anywhere near your locale, you might be able to score something they have coming in.

As an aside, YT Industries is sold out through next year. Dear lord...
What does that mean they are sold out for 2021? The new Decoy isn't even out yet? Please clarify? Thanks!

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
What does that mean they are sold out for 2021? The new Decoy isn't even out yet? Please clarify? Thanks!

Got to finally ride one, albeit just a quick test ride. Figuring out size. Rode the XL and it's a taller bike for sure. The seat tube for me at 6'1" and shorter legs is just too long on the xl, so I'm in for a L for sure. The power seems more than enough and my, it's a light bike for sure. So different when you lift the bike up. Thinking this bike will be a top seller for Orbea. It's definitely a natural feeling
Oh, and finally, the EP8 is super quiet. Great job Shimano!!

IMG_4420.jpeg

IMG_4421.jpeg

IMG_4423.jpeg

IMG_4424.jpeg

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Thanks for the info West. Glad to hear about the sizing. I ordered a Large and I'm, 6'0" with a 32 inseam. Sounds like it will be just right. Those beautiful pics made be get all antsy....like a kid waiting for Santa. I was told mine would be here the first week of Dec. then it was a week or so later, now who knows. Stay calm, stay calm, breathe deeply. Sorry, just talking to myself.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Think you'll be spot on with a large , I'm around 5'8 with a 30 inseam and got a medium . First ride was interesting . This is my first ebike and have no experience of them at all , I just felt this model would suit my riding .
It's very smooth and very quiet , you get the assistance as you begin to pedal then , particularly on the flat , it tapers off like it's saying now over to you and I'm here in the background as soon as you need me if that makes sense . It clearly senses the torque input , you can feel it as soon as you hit an incline or put in some effort it comes back in , almost like it can sense the trail lol .
I did 25 miles , not much climbing but muddy , some road sections and used 50% battery mostly in trail mode . Boost is infectious , made me grin from ear to ear , when you go back to trail it feels like you've switched it off lol .
The rattle is there when not pedalling , to be honest because I knew it would it didn't bother me , rest of the time it's so quiet .
What did suprise me was how hard I worked according to my heart rate , it was as high as on my normal bike , but I felt fresher , like the fatigue wasn't in my legs .
I'm only 1 ride in so far but I'm impressed , it feels great , fits really well and looks fantastic

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
Thanks for the info West. Glad to hear about the sizing. I ordered a Large and I'm, 6'0" with a 32 inseam. Sounds like it will be just right. Those beautiful pics made be get all antsy....like a kid waiting for Santa. I was told mine would be here the first week of Dec. then it was a week or so later, now who knows. Stay calm, stay calm, breathe deeply. Sorry, just talking to myself.

Now I'm a bit worried. My LBS told me, based on sizing up on a large Orbea Occam, that I should get the XL Rise. But I'm 6 feet also with 32 inseam. So I'm worried that the XL will be too large for me. My current Santa Cruz 5010c is a Large, but the LBS rep said it actually was too small for me. So now I'm just confused.

I don't want to have to change my order from XL to L if that means that I'm going to have to wait even longer for the bike.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Now I'm a bit worried. My LBS told me, based on sizing up on a large Orbea Occam, that I should get the XL Rise. But I'm 6 feet also with 32 inseam. So I'm worried that the XL will be too large for me. My current Santa Cruz 5010c is a Large, but the LBS rep said it actually was too small for me. So now I'm just confused.

I don't want to have to change my order from XL to L if that means that I'm going to have to wait even longer for the bike.

If you look at the size guide on Orbeas website you could go L or XL just the same as I could go M or L but I looked at the geometry and felt M would be better for me . Normally if I'm on the upper of a size I'd size up , but in this case I'm glad I didn't , a L would have been too big , no question , especially with the 150 dropper .
Hope that helps

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Depending on your own preference you could ride either. infact you could even ride the medium.
Your Large 5010 is actually slightly shorter in reach than the Medium rise.
Personally I like to go slightly longer in reach on a 29er than a 27.5 and slightly shorter again on a 26"
smaller bikes and smaller wheels are more nimble, larger bikes are more stable. Ebikes have loads more stability from the weight distribution so the need to look for stability by going to a large wheelbase is reduced.
An LBS employee doesn't know you or how you ride. All he's got to go off his own preference, manufacturers recommendations and current trends.
Only YOU can know what size bike you actually prefer to ride.

Last edited:

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
Depending on your own preference you could ride either. infact you could even ride the medium.
Your Large 5010 is actually slightly shorter in reach than the Medium rise.
Personally I like to go slightly longer in reach on a 29er than a 27.5 and slightly shorter again on a 26"
LBS employee doesn't know you or how you ride.
He's going off his own preference and current trends.
Only YOU can know what size bike you prefer to ride.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll just have to see how it is when I get it. I've actually never ridden another mountain bike regularly than my 5010c. I test rode their Orbea Occam large around the block on the sidewalk, but not enough to get a good feel for it. So I have no idea how an XL will feel, if it's too big for me or not.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
If you look back through the posts you'll see Jim0905 has an XL . He's 6'2 with 34 inseam got the dropper as far inserted as it'll go and said he'd prefer to drop it another 5mm if he could . Maybe worth a message to him

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
If you look back through the posts you'll see Jim0905 has an XL . He's 6'2 with 34 inseam got the dropper as far inserted as it'll go and said he'd prefer to drop it another 5mm if he could . Maybe worth a message to him
Thanks for the feedback. I'll just have to see how it is when I get it. I've actually never ridden another mountain bike regularly than my 5010c. I test rode their Orbea Occam large around the block on the sidewalk, but not enough to get a good feel for it. So I have no idea how an XL will feel, if it's too big for me or not.
The bike is def on the large size...I am 6'1 and ride large on everything and this bike was a little tall, mostly because the dropper wont go flush with the frame...so I purchased a different dropper and problem solved

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA

For what's it worth, at 6' tall, and 32 inseam, I would not choose the xl, but that's your call. This is based upon the seat tube length. Did you test ride the Occam at your LBS? The tallest suggested rider for the Rise on the XL is 6'6" and probably a 36" inseam. I think you'll only be able to run a 125 travel dropper as this is the max I would use on the xl I believe. I've had both too small of bikes and too big. The preference to me it to remain just a tad smaller and adjust up. Look around and don't limit yourself to the LBS. There are other retailers online that might be able to get you a L if you need. Again, see if you can just ride the Occam and you be set. It's so stressful when spending big $$ and not getting the perfect fit! I feel your frustration.

Last edited:

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland

I can buy your XL if it’s too big... ?

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
I can buy your XL if it’s too big... ?

Heheh... well so far my LBS has said it's coming in July. Originally he said March, but then he said it changed. I'm hoping that it changes to earlier again though.

I've sent him a link to this thread to ask him what he thinks. These guys offer a bike fitting service, so I do trust that they know what they're talking about. He put me on a trainer on the Occam and did measurements, so hopefully it will work out.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Heheh... well so far my LBS has said it's coming in July. Originally he said March, but then he said it changed. I'm hoping that it changes to earlier again though.

I've sent him a link to this thread to ask him what he thinks. These guys offer a bike fitting service, so I do trust that they know what they're talking about. He put me on a trainer on the Occam and did measurements, so hopefully it will work out.

It'll be a tight fit for you on an XL just because of the size of the dropper they spec on them. I'm 6 2" with a 34" inside leg and I'm at the absolute limit for leg extension when pedalling

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Brendand,
I don't want to give you any more anxiety, but I also ride a large 5010 at 6'0" an 32 inseam and I find it to be sized perfectly for me. I don't care what a bike shop says. I think the XL Rise would be too big for me. The reach goes from 460 on the 5010 to 508 on an XL Rise and the stack goes from 607 to 646. The seat tube length is significantly bigger too. from 430 to 508. The geometry on the large rise is very close to the geo on the large 5010. Like West said, I too would rather have the bike slightly on the small size rather than bigger. I can always put a slightly longer stem and a little higher rise bar if I need to for fit. I'm an old goat at 62 and with a some arthritis in my neck, shoulders and wrist due to too many awkward motorcycle get offs and work overuse injury, I like a little more compact cockpit to get me more upright. That's just me though. I've learned not to trust bike shop "fit experts" too much. They always try to mess up my bike fit once I have it totally dialed in for me just because they think they can make it "right". I just tell them to go mess with your own bike and leave mine alone or else face the wrath of a grumpy old man who has been riding bikes longer than you've been alive.
I sure hope you get the best size for you as soon as possible. It's hard when you're right on the edge of two sizes.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Totally agree with everything said , I too believe it'll be too big . I'd speak to shop about your order , there are some size Large models floating around in UK that haven't been sold yet so hopefully in Canada it's the same . Don't let shop talk you into it , they've probably never had their hands on one yet , this advice is coming from some of us that already have one .
I've had experience of shops telling me what size I should have , but I know from experience what fits me , you sound like your experienced guy , make your own choice .

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
Totally agree with everything said , I too believe it'll be too big . I'd speak to shop about your order , there are some size Large models floating around in UK that haven't been sold yet so hopefully in Canada it's the same . Don't let shop talk you into it , they've probably never had their hands on one yet , this advice is coming from some of us that already have one .
I've had experience of shops telling me what size I should have , but I know from experience what fits me , you sound like your experienced guy , make your own choice .
ditto

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
Brendand,
I don't want to give you any more anxiety, but I also ride a large 5010 at 6'0" an 32 inseam and I find it to be sized perfectly for me. I don't care what a bike shop says. I think the XL Rise would be too big for me. The reach goes from 460 on the 5010 to 508 on an XL Rise and the stack goes from 607 to 646. The seat tube length is significantly bigger too. from 430 to 508. The geometry on the large rise is very close to the geo on the large 5010. Like West said, I too would rather have the bike slightly on the small size rather than bigger. I can always put a slightly longer stem and a little higher rise bar if I need to for fit. I'm an old goat at 62 and with a some arthritis in my neck, shoulders and wrist due to too many awkward motorcycle get offs and work overuse injury, I like a little more compact cockpit to get me more upright. That's just me though. I've learned not to trust bike shop "fit experts" too much. They always try to mess up my bike fit once I have it totally dialed in for me just because they think they can make it "right". I just tell them to go mess with your own bike and leave mine alone or else face the wrath of a grumpy old man who has been riding bikes longer than you've been alive.
I sure hope you get the best size for you as soon as possible. It's hard when you're right on the edge of two sizes.

I'm 54 now (my avatar is me much younger it seems!). I've just sent some more feedback to the LBS to see what he says. He seemed to think again that the XL will fit me perfect. But he did say they're getting a large in January, so I asked if I could buy that one. At this point in time, I may not care what colour it is, just so that I could have one for the start of riding season. And to hopefully not further delay my own order, which was not a custom order. Just a stock XL M-10 in coal blue.

And I'm the same height as you and same inseam.

Buying a bike without first riding it not the best way to go, but it's really hard to do it right in this crazy year. I almost bought a YT Decoy and getting the size right was my biggest worry. Well, it still is it seems :). But it was nice to be able to ride the Occam, which the Rise is based on. I don't recall it being the wrong size in feel for me. I'll go back to the LBS and take it for another spin once all this darned snow we had last night subsides a bit here in Calgary.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I'm 54 now (my avatar is me much younger it seems!). I've just sent some more feedback to the LBS to see what he says. He seemed to think again that the XL will fit me perfect. But he did say they're getting a large in January, so I asked if I could buy that one. At this point in time, I may not care what colour it is, just so that I could have one for the start of riding season. And to hopefully not further delay my own order, which was not a custom order. Just a stock XL M-10 in coal blue.

And I'm the same height as you and same inseam.

Buying a bike without first riding it not the best way to go, but it's really hard to do it right in this crazy year. I almost bought a YT Decoy and getting the size right was my biggest worry. Well, it still is it seems :). But it was nice to be able to ride the Occam, which the Rise is based on. I don't recall it being the wrong size in feel for me. I'll go back to the LBS and take it for another spin once all this darned snow we had last night subsides a bit here in Calgary.
I’m 6’ with a 34.5 inseam and I would buy a Large, just like my current bike, Ripley V4. Due to my long legs a long dropper (180)is never an issue for me. My long inseam plays a factor in, that as my seat gets higher, the ST becomes more slack and lengthens the seated reach.

I know what you mean about buying without riding first and still has me contemplating to buy or not. I can get a L Ice Green this week after just passing on a Blue one a few days ago.

For me it will be my first Ebike and they still are illegal on 80% of the trails I ride, but I still see 1-2 riding every time out.

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
I’m 6’ with a 34.5 inseam and I would buy a Large, just like my current bike, Ripley V4. Due to my long legs a long dropper (180)is never an issue for me. My long inseam plays a factor in, that as my seat gets higher, the ST becomes more slack and lengthens the seated reach.

I know what you mean about buying without riding first and still has me contemplating to buy or not. I can get a L Ice Green this week after just passing on a Blue one a few days ago.

For me it will be my first Ebike and they still are illegal on 80% of the trails I ride, but I still see 1-2 riding every time out.

Ooh... the coal blue one is the one I ordered. I'll take that one! :)

But the green one is super nice too. It was the first Rise photo I'd ever seen.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Just got mine today, 6'1" and went with a large. It's an ebike, so get it for the rip, not the climb. Anyrate, coming from an XL Decoy Pro Race, kinda two different bikes. The Decoy is BAD. Zero complaints, just wanna try something new. Im in the states and was talking with Orbea today and she said you're damn lucky to get that bike as there is not many in circulation and the next batch will be a wait.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
My Blue L is being shipped in the next few days, and can't wait. I may have it in a week or two! As we are all finding it's getting plain crazy out there with the lack of inventory. Imagine, crazy times and many are worried about their jobs and future, yet we can't seem to get enought $8,000 ebikes in our possession. Where is this all going lol.

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
My Blue L is being shipped in the next few days, and can't wait. I may have it in a week or two! As we are all finding it's getting plain crazy out there with the lack of inventory. Imagine, crazy times and many are worried about their jobs and future, yet we can't seem to get enought $8,000 ebikes in our possession. Where is this all going lol.

I wish mine was only $8000. In Canada the M-10 is $12,000 CAD, which is $9,313 USD.

They need to have another factory churning out the bikes. There's lots of demands for new bikes these days. It's what kept me sane during the summer and fall. Just being able to get outside away from people and enjoy nature for a couple hours every day was awesome.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
I wish mine was only $8000. In Canada the M-10 is $12,000 CAD, which is $9,313 USD.

They need to have another factory churning out the bikes. There's lots of demands for new bikes these days. It's what kept me sane during the summer and fall. Just being able to get outside away from people and enjoy nature for a couple hours every day was awesome.
Is there not sales tax to add on that US price? I paid £6800 for mine which is roughly 9100 USD

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

it likely has nothing to do with Orbea factory capacity but rather component availability.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles