No E-Caliber love?

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
Have you owned other e-bikes? If so which one?
Sorry I was editing while you quoted me.
I worked part time at a bike shop up until last year and have owned the Cannondale Habit Neo 2 with a Bosch drive system. I bought the Habit Neo without demoing and found it to be quite large for me and never warmed up to the bike

As for the drive systems:
I liked the power of the Bosch and there are times that I miss it, but I've never loved climbing so the flowy cross country type trails I really enjoy are fine with Fazua.
The overall nimbleness and Fazua assist suits me well.

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
@Forever Wild I should also add, I have demo'd several e-bikes through the shop where I worked. I still have a connection there, but took time off to work on my own business.

I have not tried the Superfly, but would love to if given the chance.

I did try the Rail 5 and 7, both of which felt a bit compact for me in a small frame size.
My E-Caliber is a small.
My Habit Neo 2 was a medium. I sold it to a man that is 6 ft tall and 190 lbs. I'm 5'5" 140

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I’m interested in the e-caliber. Anyone ride it without the motor? How is it?

I love my gen-2 Bosch in my Trek Powerfly which I plan to keep. I have a few nice analog bikes but I was looking at this bike because of weight; although, I’m concerned about power. I had a 2019 Kenevo with a brose 1.2e that had 50 nm and found power to be perfectly fine even on the steepest climb. I did not notice the 1.2e to be much less power than the gen 2 Bosch at 75 nm.

My question… how is the “real world” power on the e-caliber? I’ve heard others here say they doubt it produces 55 nm. From my experience 50 nm from a brose 1.2e as plenty of power.

Boost on my Fazua motor (eZesty) is somewhere between eco and trail on my original Shimano bike (e8000) and about what eco is with the settings turned up on the newer EP8.

More than the Levo SL and less than the Orbea Rise. But quieter than both.

Gordon

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
What's the part you're waiting on?

Gordon
The part arrived yesterday but it doesn't work.
To be clear, I upgraded my wheelset, and brakes, so the rotors I have are the same set that come on the E-Caliber 9.8, not the 9.6, which is what I have.
The slight difference in the rotor may be the difference in this magnet sensor fitting, but it would make sense for the two E-Calibers to have similar magnets and sensors. No?

Here is a quick video of how it "fits" on my bike with current componentry.

ifcbikerpro

Jul 7, 2021
ES
Nor do I take the original discs and I changed the original position and everything worked perfectly .. previously I put a photo of how it was.
IMG_20210810_102141.jpg

ifcbikerpro

Jul 7, 2021
ES
The part arrived yesterday but it doesn't work.
To be clear, I upgraded my wheelset, and brakes, so the rotors I have are the same set that come on the E-Caliber 9.8, not the 9.6, which is what I have.
The slight difference in the rotor may be the difference in this magnet sensor fitting, but it would make sense for the two E-Calibers to have similar magnets and sensors. No?

Here is a quick video of how it "fits" on my bike with current componentry.

I would put the original magnet on you as Trek tells you in the last recall .. I see that you put another magnet and it goes very close to the sensor .. that is the problem. Surely, if you put it as I wear it, it will go perfectly with you.

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
I would put the original magnet on you as Trek tells you in the last recall .. I see that you put another magnet and it goes very close to the sensor .. that is the problem. Surely, if you put it as I wear it, it will go perfectly with you.
I did put the original magnet back on it and am actually on my way out to ride right now!

ifcbikerpro

Jul 7, 2021
ES
I did put the original magnet back on it and am actually on my way out to ride right now!
you have to ride it backwards from how it came mounted of origin .. as seen in my photo .. you will see the mount that is very separated from the sensor. That way the bug in my e caliber was solved.

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
you have to ride it backwards from how it came mounted of origin .. as seen in my photo .. you will see the mount that is very separated from the sensor. That way the bug in my e caliber was solved.
I understand that. I'm the person who posted the Trek Service Bulletin ;)

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
I got back from my second ride after completing the Trek Service Bulletin and I'm pretty sure that its fixed!

I rode 11+ miles 18 +/- Km with a couple climbs and have no drops in assist. I did have a shifting issue but that was user error.
full

In the e-bike world its clear that you will likely give up a little power for light and nimble, but after owning a tank of a bike that had lots of power, I'm really loving this bike.
After a long uphill ride, the pay off was this section of consistent down hill with whoops and rollers. Super fun!

32CB875C-32AA-4D14-B480-960AAE24872D.JPG

ifcbikerpro

Jul 7, 2021
ES
I got back from my second ride after completing the Trek Service Bulletin and I'm pretty sure that its fixed!

I rode 11+ miles 18 +/- Km with a couple climbs and have no drops in assist. I did have a shifting issue but that was user error.
full

In the e-bike world its clear that you will likely give up a little power for light and nimble, but after owning a tank of a bike that had lots of power, I'm really loving this bike.
After a long uphill ride, the pay off was this section of consistent down hill with whoops and rollers. Super fun!

View attachment 69445
I'm glad that in the end you solved the problem .. now to enjoy

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
FWIW, I have done the firmware update and am happy with the fact that I don't have to pull the battery/drive pack and manually start it every ride, but I still can't get the Fazua Rider app to work with my remote.
IMHO that is a Fazua fail, but I have gotten to the point that I don't even try. I just start the bike and go, using Strava instead of the rider app.
I would love to know what apps others are using with Fazua firmware.

Last edited:

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I don’t use the rider app, really but I’m not having major connection issues. I’ve been using my Garmin for ages and will continue to do so. It pulls data from the bike reliably.

I have used the rider app a couple of times. With my android phone, I have to turn the bike on before I run the app or it won’t connect. But if I do that it’s pretty good at connecting.

As an aside I’ve had two technical issues with my bike. A lock self disintegrated (the very original one) and a motor issue. Different bikes though. I contacted Fazua directly and the lock arrived in four days with instructions on line for the change. Motor is on its way now. Since the wheel circumference is from the BB I just use the other motor in the eZesty until it arrives. Service from Fazua Germany has been excellent.

I’ll probably upgrade one of the motors to the new system when it becomes available next year….

Gordon

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
I don’t use the rider app, really but I’m not having major connection issues. I’ve been using my Garmin for ages and will continue to do so. It pulls data from the bike reliably.

I have used the rider app a couple of times. With my android phone, I have to turn the bike on before I run the app or it won’t connect. But if I do that it’s pretty good at connecting.

As an aside I’ve had two technical issues with my bike. A lock self disintegrated (the very original one) and a motor issue. Different bikes though. I contacted Fazua directly and the lock arrived in four days with instructions on line for the change. Motor is on its way now. Since the wheel circumference is from the BB I just use the other motor in the eZesty until it arrives. Service from Fazua Germany has been excellent.

I’ll probably upgrade one of the motors to the new system when it becomes available next year….

Gordon
Thanks for the input.
I don't have Garmin, but I run a few other apps.

As for Fazua customer service here in North America, they've been really responsive but it took a bit for them to sort out the issues. Turns out it was a combinatoin of a magnet position and firmware update.
I'm really happy with the bike now, but I would still like to get the app to connect.

Therandor

Oct 8, 2021
SoCal
Boost on my Fazua motor (eZesty) is somewhere between eco and trail on my original Shimano bike (e8000) and about what eco is with the settings turned up on the newer EP8.

More than the Levo SL and less than the Orbea Rise. But quieter than both.

Gordon
The beauty of The Fazua drive is it is closer to natural pedaling with a little boost. I have a Trek E-Caliber 9.8 and got it because I'm in my 60s , have a couple health issues and was struggling to hang on during group rides. I wasn't looking for hi power like the Shimano and Bosch bikes just a little kick on climbs. I find I still get excellent work out and use 100w Breeze setting almost exclusively. I do a 2 local rides with 3000 +feet of hard climbing in a 15 -20 mile up and down loop and usually finish with battery to spare. I find there are 2 Iser types on local rides. There are the long travel downhill types that use E-bike feature to shuttle back to top of hills to bomb back down with little effort( they tend to be the ones that cause E bike problems by pushing past MTB riders on climbs) and the type like me that use low power as a assist to be able to ride in a group.

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
I recently dusted off my bike and started to think about puting my skis away for the season. In preparation I have checked for firmware updates and indeed found an update available for my drive pack.
Today's ride, being my second of the season and first real ride (first ride was short and mellow) I am impressed with the new firmware update.
Has anyone else updted with the latest firmware?
What are your results.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles