New Spectral:ON - Battery Cover Won't Stay:ON

Bowsers

Aug 13, 2024
UK
Hello all,

Halfway through writing this post the penny dropped and I think I now know the issue, but I'd still be keen to hear thoughts on the situ.

A new 2024 Canyon Spectral:ON CF8 arrived yesterday afternoon. Finally got round to unboxing and building last night. A few things felt a bit odd about what I found but in the excitement I just carried on.

1. There seemed to be quite a lot of randomly applied sticky tape around the BB area
2. The battery cover was just floating around in the box
3. The battery cover looked a little bashed
4. Seat clamp bolt felt a bit mashed, like someone had previously had a poor attempt at tightening
5. Of the 4 stem bolts only 3 had washers

Anyway, I continued to put it all together and left things to charge overnight. Negligent I know, but let's park that bit for now...

I finally got round to taking the bike out on to the road this evening to quickly bed the brake pads in. Within 2-3mins, just as I was flying down the road at pace about to jam the brakes on, the battery cover came off. Sheepishly I nipped back up the road, repositioned the cover and carried on. Before I made it back to the house it happened again.

Once back I turned the bike upside down and made sure the cover was fully in place before giving it another quick spin the road. Back out, same thing again. Total ride time 8mins. Battery cover losses 3x 🤦‍♂️

This time I thought I better watch the unbox and build video again as I had clearly missed something. And of course that's when the penny dropped and a narrative formed in my mind. I'd forgotten about the little rubber tab floating about at the bottom of the bike box...

So it feels like someone has had this problem with this bike before. The rubber piece that's meant to hold the battery cover in place has snapped. The battery cover has fallen off previously, causing the scuff to the cover. The tape was meant to be holding the battery case in place but hadn't done its job in shipping.

I don't know, perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions but I'm feeling pretty let down by this and quite deflated. I was so excited about my first eMTB and my first Canyon and currently I can't ride the thing 😢

Obviously, I'll email canyon and share this with them, but any other considerations or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for the therapy session,
Bowsers 🐢

IMG_7059.jpg IMG_7061.jpg IMG_7062.jpg

Last edited:

Bowsers

Aug 13, 2024
UK
Just as an update on this, messaged canyon and they were very apologetic. They've put a new motor bash guard and seat post clamp in the post, albeit 10-20 days away 🙄 They've also given me £75 in credit for the store.

A bit of Gorilla tape will do the job for the bash guard for now, but any recommendations on what to use the £75 on? Any spare parts worth buying now to keep in hand?

Thanks,
Bowsers 🐢

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles