New Bosch Tour + Mode

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
In summary, this appears to be an additional mode which sits between Tour and EMTB. It automatically adjusts assistance from Eco all the way to Turbo.
You potentially get more range compared to Tour or EMTB because with Tour + It shifts down to eco on the flat.

Last edited:

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
That's cool.
I hope the option is there to install firmware with both EMTB mode and Dynamic Tour+ mode alternatives available at the same time.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Sounds good but not sure I’d want to lose Tour mode as that’s my default riding mode. I’ll wait for the feedback before updating
My guess is they will follow suite like EMTB mode and have it available as an optional firmware. So if the update includes any other changes along side it you could probably upgrade to that firmware but with keeping the old tour mode.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
hmmm, interesting. Will wait and see what people think of it before upgrading.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
I had the update done, the only mode that gets replaced is Tour, all of the other modes stay the same. In my case, I have a Trek Rail, which had "eMTB Lite" replaced by "Tour+". I still have eMTB mode, which I rarely used, since I used the eMTB Lite mode more. With this new mode, so far, pedals pretty smooth on tarmac, I had yet to see how it does on any trails.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Interesting. I had assumed it was EMTB-Lite for the masses. Is it actually different then?

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Would like to know if the new firmware has any other changes other then the new mode. The bosch software does show the changelog when the update is done.

Damn there must be so many choices of firmware presented in the bosch upgrade software..

Many combinations
75 or 85nm
short crank or long crank
emtb or sport
tour+ or tour

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I don't fancy it, I use tour for long boring big climbs mainly on road or short off road steep climbs, I don't need any more power than 140-150% for these, then i just flick back to eco when it levels out enough. If i need full fat i use EMTB or Turbo.
This new update will get rid of that sustained 140-150% sweet spot when needed.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ve been on the Bosch website and apparently the new Tour + mode is only available for the newer motors e.g. Gen 4.

Here is what it says....

The Tour+ riding mode is available for eBikes with Drive Unit Performance Line CX with derailleur system (from model year 2020) and eMTB mode from summer 2021.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I had the update done, the only mode that gets replaced is Tour, all of the other modes stay the same. In my case, I have a Trek Rail, which had "eMTB Lite" replaced by "Tour+". I still have eMTB mode, which I rarely used, since I used the eMTB Lite mode more. With this new mode, so far, pedals pretty smooth on tarmac, I had yet to see how it does on any trails.
I'd like to know how this differs from the Trek emtb lite mode?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
From the little information I read in that article it sounds like that's just what it is. TBH I don't really know if emtb-lite actually works on my bike as without the turbo kick feeling you get in emtb it feels relatively the same while riding. Then again maybe that's the idea of it.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
eMTB Lite: 140% - 240%
Tour+: 60% - 340%

From what I noticed in Tour+ mode, the power is there, it's just lighter in the feel (riding in NYC street traffic). I haven't had a chance to ride any hilly trails to see how much it differs. Check Bosch's graph in the link below.

Last edited:

Dashfield

May 11, 2021
Bristol, UK
I just updated my Kiox software through the app and the new Tour+ mode hasn’t appeared. Mine is a gen 4 motor, only bought a month ago.

Not a problem but I just thought I’d mention that it doesn’t seem to appear automatically with the latest software update.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I just updated my Kiox software through the app and the new Tour+ mode hasn’t appeared. Mine is a gen 4 motor, only bought a month ago.

Not a problem but I just thought I’d mention that it doesn’t seem to appear automatically with the latest software update.
You have to update the DU (Drive Unit) firmware to the motor.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Quick question ..Ive the latest Gen 4 motor with 85nm torque so as yet have not had to update anything ..
If I go ahead with this and dont like the tour+ mode can I revert back ..?
I realise this might sound daft to those with more tech savvy than myself ..??

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Thanks for clarifying. Is that something that has to be done at LBS or can it be done through the Bosch app?
Yes. The LBS will use the Bosch E-bike Diagnostic Tool tool to update firmware or change it's setup.

To be able to update the firmware through an eBike Connect application would be actually bigger news than Tour+. Hopefully the almighty Germanic conglomerate will present this nice feature in the next motor so my bike will be living the same tiktok-age time that everyone else.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I don't fancy it, I use tour for long boring big climbs mainly on road or short off road steep climbs, I don't need any more power than 140-150% for these, then i just flick back to eco when it levels out enough. If i need full fat i use EMTB or Turbo.
This new update will get rid of that sustained 140-150% sweet spot when needed.
100% this ...
I use Tour mode for most of my riding and I'm more than happy to take a second or two out of my day to manually change modes if needed

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’m too sentimental to lose my tour mode and end its life forever. I’d probably find myself playing “We’ll meet again” by Vera Lynn every time I went for a ride ?

Loss aversion is a cognitive bias that describes why, for individuals, the pain of losing is psychologically twice as powerful as the pleasure of gaining. The loss felt from money, or any other valuable object, can feel worse than gaining that same thing.

Miket775

Feb 4, 2020
Northampton, UK
So had my update - the store had no idea what this new update was (the comment I got was "if there's a new update on the server then thats the one you'll get") but thankfully it was available.

First impressions (bearing in mind that I'm going from the original 75nm setup): Tour+ feels like its designed to keep the power in the lowest setting as much as it can and once you start to push then it puts the motor in the level of what Tour would have been and I only felt it go higher if I was really pushing hard whereas EMTB feels more willing to go to higher modes more freely. On top of all the updates (85nm etc) it did feel more instant than before. I'll get some good riding in at the weekend so properly see what this does to my riding.

valium97

Oct 21, 2020
Germany

Tour+ replaces the Tour mode but only shows as Tour on the screen. That will most likely not change until next year.

valium97

Oct 21, 2020
Germany
Quick question ..Ive the latest Gen 4 motor with 85nm torque so as yet have not had to update anything ..
If I go ahead with this and dont like the tour+ mode can I revert back ..?
I realise this might sound daft to those with more tech savvy than myself ..??
Yes you can.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would think this new mode would appeal mostly to those that ride flat/easy going terrain for a good part of their time on the bike....it is after a "touring" mode. For trail riding I see it as being less usefull than the standard tour or EMTB modes.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Is this a solution for a problem that doesn't exist? Don't Bosch systems have a handlebar-mounted switch that allows the rider to choose the amount of assistance?

I'm envisioning rock gardens that require a mix of rock hopping using momentum, and hard pedaling to lift the wheel over obstacles. The last thing I want is a variable torque algorithm giving unexpected assist.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles