My new 2021 Trek Rail 5 Purple Flip

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Btw I went with an ohlins on a large frame.
61E30228-D5FA-41C6-B5D6-65901278BB20.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Unless I’ve read it wrong those measurements on line 5 are with the 170 fork fitted and mulleted?
Rob said the stock measurements were different from Trek’s own so was just wondering what Rob measured the stock bike at before the mods.
Hope that made sense?
Crap ! Sorry, you're completely correct. This was the proper one :

"It’s 6mm higher than trek say (445 vs 339) with the chip in the low position ?‍♂️" - think there's a typo in there though !!!!!

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
@Rob Rides EMTB Bikes looking ace !
Just about to buy a 9.8xt but need to get advice on size .... I’m 6’1.5 , 187cm what would recommend ? I want the bike to be fun abs not feel to big large vs XL ? Also as I’m here I know what the answer will be but the choice was between the 9.8xt 2021 vs SC Heckler 2020 (older e800 motor) .... price is within £200 with discount ......?‍♀️

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
This move is just for comparison with the CHEEB, or have you already decided the mullet & Zeb combo is not proper for the Rail?
Mullet and Zeb is brilliant on the Rail but that was always heading for the CHEEB.

Rail with 29 and stock geo is nice and lively. Mullet and 170mm for slows it down a little bit would be ace for more harder riding.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Is that Lyrik the ultimate one,much better the Zeb? Not sure if update my Yari or swapping for the Zeb,what do you think? Thanks
The Zeb feels so good on an eeb. I was always a fan of the Lyrik (still am) and had both the 2019 (B1 damper) and 2020 (C1 damper). The B1 damper was super plush off the top. Rockshox changed the damper for 2020 with some different hardware to raise the static height amongst a couple of other changes. I actually preferred the older version.

But the Zeb brings back some of that feeling off the top - super plush. Larger air volume means less air pressure and it feels more sensitive on small bumps, as well as it feeling totally solid and stiff with excellent mid stroke support.

The Zeb is brilliant fork. Even if you don't need the performance a Zeb offers... for example, even regular trail riding, I can feel the direct feeling of the Zeb, holds lines very well. Super confidence inspiring to use a clichéd phrase.

But its heavier than the Lyrik (if that bothers you), the Lyrik is still brilliant. Even the C1 Lyrik is great.

TLDR; both are bloody great forks with some noticeable differences.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just about to buy a 9.8xt but need to get advice on size .... I’m 6’1.5 , 187cm what would recommend ? I want the bike to be fun abs not feel to big large vs XL ? Also as I’m here I know what the answer will be but the choice was between the 9.8xt 2021 vs SC Heckler 2020 (older e800 motor) .... price is within £200 with discount ......?‍♀️
definitely the Rail (better motor, bigger battery, prob a better riding bike but I've not ridden heckler) vs old Heckler.

Hmm, you could easily ride either. XL isn't a massive bike to be honest. What bike / size you on currently? Prefer nimbleness or stability?

The rail doesn't feel lazy at all compared to some other eebs so I don't think its going to feel like a ship if you did go for XL.

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
definitely the Rail (better motor, bigger battery, prob a better riding bike but I've not ridden heckler) vs old Heckler.

Hmm, you could easily ride either. XL isn't a massive bike to be honest. What bike / size you on currently? Prefer nimbleness or stability?

The rail doesn't feel lazy at all compared to some other eebs so I don't think its going to feel like a ship if you did go for XL.

thanks for the reply !
First Ebike my current bike is Beta 300rr Racing 2stanker lol
I have always liked a smaller feeling bike (analog) but that’s coming from a background of riding 20” in my youth.

The Heckler 2020 in XL has a similar reach but slightly shorter wheel base and 27.5 which sounds pretty good but motor wise it’s old e800 vs new bosh ....

The Trek looks real nice but only available in XL 9.8xt unless I wait months which I won’t !
getting mixed answers on the size..... I just don’t want to go XL and have that feeling it’s just a bit big / ship like ... I’m pretty lanky tbf 34-35 inside leg. I had a quick blip on the new Heckler MX in large which was ok but defo felt pretty close in the cockpit ....

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
thanks for the reply !
First Ebike my current bike is Beta 300rr Racing 2stanker lol
I have always liked a smaller feeling bike (analog) but that’s coming from a background of riding 20” in my youth.

The Heckler 2020 in XL has a similar reach but slightly shorter wheel base and 27.5 which sounds pretty good but motor wise it’s old e800 vs new bosh ....

The Trek looks real nice but only available in XL 9.8xt unless I wait months which I won’t !
getting mixed answers on the size..... I just don’t want to go XL and have that feeling it’s just a bit big / ship like ... I’m pretty lanky tbf 34-35 inside leg. I had a quick blip on the new Heckler MX in large which was ok but defo felt pretty close in the cockpit ....
I'm 6'2" but only 32 inside leg and had the same dilemma between L and XL.
I'd always had Large analogue bikes and spent ages looking at geometry figures etc. Finally decided to gamble on an XL for my new 2021 Rail 5, and it's fine. Feel much more 'in' the bike than perched on top of it now.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Ohlins would have been my choice too if it wasn't so spendy.

Worth contacting Ohlins before purchase .
The damping system can be tuned to suit different bikes . I saw a vid yesterday from Ohlins talking about collaborating with specialized a few years back . Same TTX shocks but different dampers for different bikes ...

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK

I'm 6'1 on a large. It's probably a touch too short for my preference, but the XL I know is too big for me and my riding style. 50mm stem & I have no issues. Generally speaking, I think you can go a bit smaller on an eeb than an analogue bike as it will be inherently more stable anyway, due to the extra weight - I still find the Rail relatively playful & fun to ride, but I know with the XL it would be a total barge for me.

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
Hey Rob, I'm waiting on a 9.8XT and I'm curious about your mullet set up? I'm a 70 year old avid trail rider, and I'm curious about the pros and cons of mixed wheels for a Rail since I'm someone who can't afford to get too crazy on a seriously chunky downhills.

thanks

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hey Rob, I'm waiting on a 9.8XT and I'm curious about your mullet set up? I'm a 70 year old avid trail rider, and I'm curious about the pros and cons of mixed wheels for a Rail since I'm someone who can't afford to get too crazy on a seriously chunky downhills.

thanks
I’m back on 29 front and rear at the moment as I used the mullet setup for another EBike.

really really like the 29 standard setup to be honest, feels faster / more nimble, although I have carbon wheels with 2.4 tyres instead of 2.6 so a fair bit lighter too with the 29er setup.

Either setup is very very good. To be honest I don’t have enough mileage on the mullet setup to fully compare, but I know @Doomanic has fully converted to mullet now and really likes it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm glad I don't have his job :) (Well, obviously there are advantages like the free hair care products, daily massages and some people might recognise you when you walk in a bike shop - which doesn't really help with people buying you free pints though)

Do a haibike video and someone buys one - their battery cover falls off - and you get grief about not reviewing it for long enough.

Don't do a video fast enough and it's win win with offers of free holidays in Reno ! Can I sign up as essential entourage ? :ROFLMAO: I love lake Tahoe.

Do you still get those funky menu's given out by taxi drivers for the Horizontal Exercise place in Carson City ? I always loved the descriptions.

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I'm glad I don't have his job :) (Well, obviously there are advantages like the free hair care products, daily massages and some people might recognise you when you walk in a bike shop - which doesn't really help with people buying you free pints though)

Do a haibike video and someone buys one - their battery cover falls off - and you get grief about not reviewing it for long enough.

Don't do a video fast enough and it's win win with offers of free holidays in Reno ! Can I sign up as essential entourage ? :ROFLMAO: I love lake Tahoe.

Do you still get those funky menu's given out by taxi drivers for the Horizontal Exercise place in Carson City ? I always loved the descriptions.

Yea, you can drink and gamble and whore, 24/7, what's not to like. Oh and skiing and biking in our backyard. We're getting nuked with snow 2' last night and another few feet in the mountains in the next few days, biking's on hold.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yea, you can drink and gamble and whore, 24/7, what's not to like. Oh and skiing and biking in our backyard. We're getting nuked with snow 2' last night and another few feet in the mountains in the next few days, biking's on hold.
You lucky lucky lucky b4stard ! :)

Are you buying a rail then ? They are nice !

Don't tell @BAMBAMODA about the whoring .. He'll be sitting there for hours wondering why he's had no business.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles