My new 2021 Trek Rail 5 Purple Flip

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
That's fast spannering!! ? Is the bottom bracket reasonable or low - must admit I'm not up on the numbers. Will you be trying high position on the flip chip too?

Gfunkmc - did you try the XL before you bought? Do you like longer bikes? I'm exactly the same measurements as you and ordered a large (unseen).
The BB height is 334mm which is quite low for an ebike. I’ll run it like this for a bit and see how it works out. Can always flip it back to high position if it causes too many issues.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
That's fast spannering!! ? Is the bottom bracket reasonable or low - must admit I'm not up on the numbers. Will you be trying high position on the flip chip too?

Gfunkmc - did you try the XL before you bought? Do you like longer bikes? I'm exactly the same measurements as you and ordered a large (unseen).

No but the ebike I have come from (metapower) and my peddle bike (raaw Madonna) are both 500mm reach which is pretty much the same as XL rail so I went with XL.. I do like longer bikes too ?...

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
The BB height is 334mm which is quite low for an ebike. I’ll run it like this for a bit and see how it works out. Can always flip it back to high position if it causes too many issues.

Hi Rob..
Iv tried both high and low and prefer high as kept striking peddles... But I have been playing with shock strokes too ?iv found the best setting is high with a 62.5mm stroke (which if my calculations are correct will give about 163mm of rear travel)??

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
I just bought the rail 7 in black/red. I had to do a double take at first, as the paint job made it look like carbon.

I took it for a spin through a local forest last night, and it was outstanding. I still need to fiddle with suspension a bit, but I have zero doubt about bike choice.

It is as its name suggests... it rides like its on a rail.
20201215_184625.jpg

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Ok some updates

Zeb 170
Mullet with Magic Mary 29 front 2.6”, Big Betty rear 2.6” 27.5” on

head angle 63.3 degrees
BB height 334mm with flip chip in low (stock reading was much higher than Trek quoted height)

Deore brakes
210mm One up V2 dropper
XT Drivetrain

weight approx 24.1 KG

View attachment 46660

What did you measure the stok ha and bb height at Rob?

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
I just bought the rail 7 in black/red. I had to do a double take at first, as the paint job made it look like carbon.

I took it for a spin through a local forest last night, and it was outstanding. I still need to fiddle with suspension a bit, but I have zero doubt about bike choice.

It is as its name suggests... it rides like its on a rail. View attachment 47228

First ebike or have you come from something else? I've placed a deposit on the self same bike, due March, and presently have a 2019 E-Sommet. What size is that/how tall are you btw? ?

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire

It is as its name suggests... it rides like its on a rail. View attachment 47228
Great looking bike, interesting comment about thinking it looked like Carbon, have ordered this bike in a small for my wife, gets delivered before Friday hopefully.
Hope you enjoy it (y)

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
First ebike or have you come from something else? I've placed a deposit on the self same bike, due March, and presently have a 2019 E-Sommet. What size is that/how tall are you btw? ?
Hi what size have you ordered if you don’t mind me asking. Have you ordered locally to you.

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
Yes, local to me. I bought an XL. I am 6 ft or 181cm. Ordinarily I ride a large, but I am definitely an XL on this bike.

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Hi what size have you ordered if you don’t mind me asking. Have you ordered locally to you.

Ordered a Large, but it was already on order by the bike shop. I think a fresh new order is Sept 21, or basically sold out for 21 model year. As a result ordered from a localish shop, about 50 mins away.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
Ordered a Large, but it was already on order by the bike shop. I think a fresh new order is Sept 21, or basically sold out for 21 model year. As a result ordered from a localish shop, about 50 mins away.
The reason I asked is I know they are hard to come by at the moment but I ordered the same bike on Sunday and they have a medium in stock currently (Team Cycles in Gateshead) but as you are on a large it’s not suitable, but thought I’d mention it.

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
First ebike or have you come from something else? I've placed a deposit on the self same bike, due March, and presently have a 2019 E-Sommet. What size is that/how tall are you btw?
I am 6ft or 181cm, and am definitely on an XL for the trek rail. My knees were right up by the bars in a large.

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
I'm 5' 10" with 32 inseam and ordered a large rail 9.8 on October 12th in Austin TX. LBS told me delivery scheduled is Feb 10th 2021. I test drove the medium and it was definitely too small. They didn't have any large in stock city wide. I ride a canyon spectral right now in large that feels just right. Fingers crossed the rail in large is perfect.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yes, I posted it somewhere but cant remeber where! If i remember correctly BB height was 9mm higher than quoted, HA was about 64.8 degrees...
Line 5 : 334mm

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I too have a trek rail, so interested in a shock reccomendation
Depends on frame size. Small and Medium definitely have clearance issues, Large may do depending on the size of the reservoir.

I have a DVO Jade X 230*60 on my Medium Rail.

rail7dvo.png

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Line 5 : 334mm

Unless I’ve read it wrong those measurements on line 5 are with the 170 fork fitted and mulleted?
Rob said the stock measurements were different from Trek’s own so was just wondering what Rob measured the stock bike at before the mods.
Hope that made sense?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles