Motor cover question

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Though my Bosch CX motor is in a Rail 7, I'll comment on something I did Saturday to my wiring under the motor cover while installing a VOLspeed-4 tuner. I was impressed by the nice, relatively sturdy metal cover on the bottom, but I too was a little disappointed in how the wiring is a bit "willy-nilly" in there. And after installing the VOLspeed, I spent a lot of time tidying things up in there and maybe adding a little protection.

There was room in the housing to safely stow the extra wires of the VOLspeed, but it was kind of exposed to the slots for water draining. Also those slots may offer a little added air flow for the motor...depending on how one's motor is mounted on a given bike model.

Anyway, I took some strips of thin bicycle tube...road bike tube worked best...and wrapped and cushioned the wire that was around those slots in my cover. Even in stock form I can easily see a sharp, hard stick poke through there and bugger up some wires. I was careful not to block the slots both for drainage and possible air flow. When I put the cover back on, everything was nicely zip tied, wrapped, and cushioned against chaffing. It actually took awhile because of the limited space in there.

You don't hear much about problems with the stock wiring looking as exposed as it appears to be, but it's not the way I'd wire any vehicle that gets that much rough pounding on a trail or otherwise. Chaffing looks likely over time, but maybe not.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
You don't hear much about problems with the stock wiring looking as exposed as it appears to be, but it's not the way I'd wire any vehicle that gets that much rough pounding on a trail or otherwise. Chaffing looks likely over time, but maybe not.

Exposed or not, it's always nice to have the wiring done up elegantly and pretty.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Cleaning the motor cover from time to time makes sense. Here is what mine looked today and some notes on fitting it back to the bike as this happens when there is a gap between cover and frame.

IMG_3415.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

Make sure that the nose of the cover slides deep into the notch in the frame to close the gap as much as possible. There might be dirt or cables blocking.

IMG_3417.jpeg

In the front check that the seal of the battery cover fits wells with the frame and the motor cover:

IMG_3419.jpeg

IMG_3418.jpeg

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
Since my earlier posts I've taken note of the recommendations and have removed and checked this cover a couple of times. Today, after some muddy, sloppy, cruddy, soakingly wet rides I took it off and there was hardly any mess inside it at all. I've started using two of these velcro straps at the top and bottom of the battery cover and the bottom one covers not only the bottom of the battery cover but also the leading edge of the motor cover.

Velcro straps

IMG_20240216_101756572.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles