Motor cover question

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
Hi All,

I've just received my Stereo Hybrid 140 and I have a question about the motor cover (I've contacted the support of the shop I bought it from too, but while waiting to hear from them I thought I'd ask here too). There is a gap between the plastic cover and the frame; I can see some wires and stuff inside....this is my first e-bike so I don't know if that's normal? Took a load of pics from all angles, hope you can see what I mean.
Should it be like this or should it be flush to stop water/mud/etc from getting in there? As far as I can see it's all mounted correctly: the plastic cover at the bottom is one continuous piece from back to front and there is no wiggle-room or play to move it more flush, so I'd just like to double-check before going riding...

Thanks!
J

20230904_093450.jpg 20230904_093504.jpg 20230904_164831.jpg 20230904_164913.jpg 20230904_165009.jpg 20230904_165040.jpg 20230904_165224.jpg

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
It looks like it's sitting out of whack on your hybrid as compared to a pic I found on the net. You will note the rear plastic piece is not quite following the curvature of the motor.

Screenshot_20230904_193807_Chrome.jpg

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Water will get in there. That’s why there’s a hole in the bottom.

Hard to tell from the pics but you might have a ‘connect module ready’ cover. This has extra space in that left hand side for the module. If you can take the cover off and see what part number is written inside I’ll compare against my two.

Edit: actually looking at the pic above I’d say you have got a bcm ready cover

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
Thanks for your replies guys. Yeah I was expecting something more like in Mamba90's pic, just something that would be more flush. I didn't realise that water was supposed to/allowed to get in there; just assumed that would endanger the electronics and the mechanics in there.....but thanks for explaining why there's that hole in the base...I couldn't figure that out before! 😂

@TommyC I'll try and get the part number today or tomorrow, but looking at BCM Ready Cover pics on the internet, the shape does seem to match what I've got. I don't have the BCM though, so if I don't buy one of those, it will just be "normal" to have such a big gap there? Or could/should I buy a non-BCM cover?

Thanks!

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
PS I've just heard back from the shop and they claim it's normal. Depending on the manufacturer they say there will be more or less of a gap, but that what is shown on my pics is normal. I've asked if there is some kind of attachment sold by Cube or Bosch to cover that over somehow. Would still prefer to prevent mud/dirt/water from getting in there in the first place if possible?

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
It's a good idea to remove that cover every time you clean the bike. Water and dirt get packed in there and needs removing. (y)

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
Ok thanks for the feedback. Being new to all this, I didn't realise it was "normal" to have muck get in there among the wires and just expected something more sealed. Good to know...thx!

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
All of the electrical connectors into the motor are water sealed but it's a good idea to clean out any wet mud regularly to negate the chance of water getting past the seals 👍

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
@yarg
Hi,
Here are some pics of my 2022 Stereo Hybrid 140. looks more tight than yours. Maybe remove it and adjust it? Make sure that the pin at the wheel side is locked / sitzing correctly in the hole in the frame.
As mentioned by the others before it is recommended to remove and clean this lower cover from time to time as it is collecting lots of gravel and dirt.

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2795.jpeg
IMG_2797.jpeg

Last edited:

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
The underside of my cover looks different than the one of Yark. Except the dirt. Either it was updated 2022 to 2023 or could it be a wrong cover?

Edit: Likely changed by Cube as Bosch invented in 2023 the connect module, as mentioned by TommyC

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
Thanks @Arminius for the 2022 pics and to @TommyC for the comparison. I haven't had a chance to take the cover off but mine definitely looks like the BCM ready cover (with the bigger "bulge" on the left hand side as we look at it in your pic). I visited the local Cube dealer yesterday (not where I bought the bike from though) and when I showed him the pics he confirmed the change for 2023 model year.

So a question then: the Bosch Connect Module basically gives you "last known GPS location" for theft tracking and also the ability to lock/unlock the bike with your phone...correct? LBS quoted 170 euros yesterday to supply and fit one to my bike, and I'm not sure those features are worth that additional outlay personally. So if I don't fit the BCM, could it be worth trying to source the non-BCM cover which should theoretically then have less of a gap? I now understand that basically no matter what I do, gunk is gonna accumulate in there, but just aesthetically it would be nicer to not have a huge gap there with nothing in it....

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
To be honest I’m not sure the bcm is worth it. Especially once the £40 a year subscription kicks in. It would be easily removed by a thief anyway.

I had a biketrax before and that was better in my opinion. No alarm so I didn’t alert the thief that it’s being tracked. I made a longer power cable for it so sat in the top tube which you can only get to by removing the battery catch. You could also fit a bigger back up battery to it if you wish.

If you do go for the bcm it’s easy to install yourself. I got mine here;

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
You are welcome.

Here is an article (click) in German but with pics and vid of installation of the BCM. Hope that may help you with regard to needed space(?).

Since mine is sitting closer to the motor it allows maybe less cooling to the motor but may better protect to gravel and spray.

The BCM sounds interesting but like TommyC I have doubts. Perhaps in the Beergarden if you are quick enough but if bike is stolen and the assholex know how to deactivate, dismantle or block (jammer) the BCM signal it will not protect the bike from being stolen. And on the other hand bike owners reported trouble with the earlier (non BCM) Bosch locking function on Smart System via app - and I will not activate it on mine.
But that is little OT.

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Hi All,

I've just received my Stereo Hybrid 140 and I have a question about the motor cover (I've contacted the support of the shop I bought it from too, but while waiting to hear from them I thought I'd ask here too). There is a gap between the plastic cover and the frame; I can see some wires and stuff inside....this is my first e-bike so I don't know if that's normal? Took a load of pics from all angles, hope you can see what I mean.
Should it be like this or should it be flush to stop water/mud/etc from getting in there? As far as I can see it's all mounted correctly: the plastic cover at the bottom is one continuous piece from back to front and there is no wiggle-room or play to move it more flush, so I'd just like to double-check before going riding...

Thanks!
J

View attachment 124026 View attachment 124028 View attachment 124029 View attachment 124030 View attachment 124031 View attachment 124032 View attachment 124033
Yes it's pretty normal, you can play around with the cover for a more snug fit if you want but it doesn't close up all the way.

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
Yeah I don't think the BCM is worth it personally. So then, would a non-BCM cover fit? Are they identical in all other ways except for the space for the BCM? If so then does anyone know where I could get a non-BCM cover? I asked at the local Cube dealer and they said they can't get them...
I have found this place, but don't know if they are legit or not:

Cheers!

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
I didn't realise that water was supposed to/allowed to get in there; just assumed that would endanger the electronics and the mechanics in there
Motor is enclosed and all electronics is protected. these are only cables connecting remote, sensors etc.
Water will enter everywhere, so better to have a good drainage. (the same with small holes at the bottom of BB)

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Yeah I don't think the BCM is worth it personally. So then, would a non-BCM cover fit? Are they identical in all other ways except for the space for the BCM? If so then does anyone know where I could get a non-BCM cover? I asked at the local Cube dealer and they said they can't get them...
I have found this place, but don't know if they are legit or not:

Cheers!
I got my bcm cover from the electric bike shop. Took me 3 months to get the right one, they’re a pain in the arse but only place that did it at that price

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
I got my bcm cover from the electric bike shop. Took me 3 months to get the right one, they’re a pain in the arse but only place that did it at that price

Ok thanks for the feedback! I'll look for someone local to me here in France, but at least in the worst case I know that eletric bike shop are legit...

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
@yarg
Could this be an option? I had good experience with that shop:

Thanks for the link to an EU shop, should make things easier to get to France. It's weird: the title of your linked item says MY2023, but then in the description it says MY2022....guess I'll get in touch with them to clarify. Wouldn't want to by the exact same cover again by mistake 😬

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Besides the item description with Mod 2022 is carrying the item number 20-04373 as marked in the covers in the pics by TommyC above. Nevertheless makes sense to make sure with them before ordering. 👍

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
An absolutely dumb question but... to remove the plate/cover on my Stereo Hybrid 160hpc 750 I just have to undo the two bolts inside the bottom of the battery cover... and is there some sort of lip that slips in a the back of it? It's embarrassing to ask

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
@MasterDabber If you look to the pics above you will find at the opposite end of the cover, not were the screw holes are, a plastic nose that locks in the frame behind the motor. Maybe you need to pull cover first a little down and then push lttle towards the back wheel to „unlock“ the nose as well.
Good luck!

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
@MasterDabber If you look to the pics above you will find at the opposite end of the cover, were the screw holes are, a plastic nose that locks in the frame behind the motor. Maybe you need to pull cover first a little down and than towards the back wheel to „unlock“ the nose as well.
Good luck!
Thanks a lot @Arminius I haven't actually tried to take the cover off first but after yesterday's boggy ride I thought a clean up in the area would be a good idea. I saw the "plastic nose" and guessed it might be something like that. Tbh, I originally thought there might be some more bolts at the rear but couldn't see any. Thanks again

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles