Lost in the world of tyres for my trails

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Getting my first emtb and hopefully arriving this week (Fuel EXE). It comes with 2.5 Bonty XR5s but not reading a lot of positive reviews. My carbon wheels on the ex8 I have have 2.35 Wolfpack Trail/Cross combo which I like, but not sure they would be ok on the EXE (although they do state they are for ebikes too) but not sure if i need wider tyres for an emtb, they do come up wider than the Bonty 2.4s they replaced though.

So watched some reviews on tyres but its got me lost even more!

So my local rides are a mix of:

Mainly hardpack with more roots than anything else - occasional rocks but not many.
I'm not an aggressive rider - I ride lots more flowy stuff with maybe a few tech bits (which I am usually going slow for lol).

Ideally looking for an all round set up with decent enough grip for an average rider but good rolling speed as I do a lot of smoother climbs and flat sections.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Getting my first emtb and hopefully arriving this week (Fuel EXE). It comes with 2.5 Bonty XR5s but not reading a lot of positive reviews. My carbon wheels on the ex8 I have have 2.35 Wolfpack Trail/Cross combo which I like, but not sure they would be ok on the EXE (although they do state they are for ebikes too) but not sure if i need wider tyres for an emtb, they do come up wider than the Bonty 2.4s they replaced though.

So watched some reviews on tyres but its got me lost even more!

So my local rides are a mix of:

Mainly hardpack with more roots than anything else - occasional rocks but not many.
I'm not an aggressive rider - I ride lots more flowy stuff with maybe a few tech bits (which I am usually going slow for lol).

Ideally looking for an all round set up with decent enough grip for an average rider but good rolling speed as I do a lot of smoother climbs and flat sections.
You will wear your first set (mainly rear) out very quickly.
After that look what the other people on Eeb's are using in your area.
There is no right and no wrong only personal preference.

I really liked Assagai up front with a DHR2 rear, but I killed them both pretty quick, I then got som Griffus and they have been good but also killed the rear quickly, I have some Mary's to put on for the winter so I'm holding out changing. that said I might put on some of the front tyres on the rear just to use them up.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England

I really liked Assagai up front with a DHR2 rear, but I killed them both pretty quick, I then got som Griffus and they have been good but also killed the rear quickly, I have some Mary's to put on for the winter so I'm holding out changing. that said I might put on some of the front tyres on the rear just to use them up.

Good shout on asking what the locals use. Might just use the XR5s as a base and see what I like or hate about them!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

I think I should add to my previous quick post.

When its dry we (wife and my Rails) run Assegai Maxxgrip DD front and rear. The front is a new tyre and the rear is last year's front tyre. By the time it starts getting muddy, when the Assegais turn into muddy slicks, rear Assegais are absolutely trashed so go in the bin. The fronts are then recycled for use as next year's rears.

When the Assegais come off they are replaced with front Magic Mary Ultrasoft Super Gravity (which last a couple of years) and the rears are new DHR2 DD Maxxgrips which last only until it get drier and time to put Assegais back on. Have tried Exo+ but had punctures - South Downs chalk with often broken flint is very aggressive and when wet is very slippery.

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
I have a Levo in Northern California, the trails a very dry and narrow technical single track. Lots of loose small rocks. Well at least until last night when it rained all night but it’s going to be hot again in a day or two.
I find tyres with aggressive outer nobblies keep grabbing and want to turn my Levo off the track so you need the utmost concentration to avoid a spill. On my old faithful Moots YBB I used great lower nobblys Michelin’s. I loved those tires but alas I can’t find them in sizes I need for my Levo. I’ve actually thought about grinding down my Specialized front tire. I have a local tire retread company that could do the grinding. But of course what works here will probably not work there so best listen to you local bike shop
Cheers Baz

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
My thoughts after owning a gen 2 then a gen 3 Turbo Levo. Front traction in iffy conditions is king, for both fun and safety. Soft compound and aggressive knobs, like a Maxxis Assegai. Rear traction is secondary, so get your reduced rolling resistance there. I also prefer the rear to break away a little easier than the front to help rotate the bike, so I get some of that too. Super muddy conditions might require something more aggressive on the rear though. There’s a reason why Maxxis Assegai/Minion DHR2 is such a popular combination 😄 For the record I’m currently running what Specialized installs on the Levo, their own Butcher T9 front, Eliminator T7 rear. Same concept, more front traction.

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
My thoughts after owning a gen 2 then a gen 3 Turbo Levo. Front traction in iffy conditions is king, for both fun and safety. Soft compound and aggressive knobs, like a Maxxis Assegai. Rear traction is secondary, so get your reduced rolling resistance there. I also prefer the rear to break away a little easier than the front to help rotate the bike, so I get some of that too. Super muddy conditions might require something more aggressive on the rear though. There’s a reason why Maxxis Assegai/Minion DHR2 is such a popular combination 😄 For the record I’m currently running what Specialized installs on the Levo, their own Butcher T9 front, Eliminator T7 rear. Same concept, more front traction.
Where do you ride and what are the trail conditions?! What tire pressures are you using?
Thanks
Baz

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Where do you ride and what are the trail conditions?! What tire pressures are you using?
Thanks
Baz
I saw that you said you live in N California. I’m south SF bay so mostly the same dry and loose crap. Unfortunately we didn’t get any of that recent rain. I use Cushcore inserts and usually run 20 psi front, 23 psi rear but could probably go even lower.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Seems like a lot use DHF/DHRii combo here. But Maxxis but blimey all these options of compounds and casings etc I am a bit like WTF!!

Anyone suggest best options for easy tyre?

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
I saw that you said you live in N California. I’m south SF bay so mostly the same dry and loose crap. Unfortunately we didn’t get any of that recent rain. I use Cushcore inserts and usually run 20 psi front, 23 psi rear but could probably go even lower.
Thanks, the trails in the Redding area are mostly narrow single track and I must say have been significantly damaged, not by e-bikes but by horse riders. A shod horse but amazing pressure on the ground when walking. They ride mainly in the damp winter months when the ground is soft and that’s when they do the most damage. I know a trail or two that has been ruined by them particularly in the Whiskeytown Park. The riders make no attempt at any restoration. They bring a ton of small rocks to the surface which end up being broken up to “marbles”. These make for very difficult mtb riding.
This is way different that riding a mtb on the south downs in the uk which I know well being from Portsmouth and Brighton.
The South Downs is clay over chalk and flint. You will be lucky to find a climb of more than 500ft on the SD.
My most favorite riding in California is the Tahoe area. But once again these trails have been ruined in places by outfitters taking a couple of dozen novice riders out on some of the most scenic trails, read The Flume Trail !
So tire( tyre) choice will very a lot depending on where you ride. I just haven’t found a great tire for where I ride here in Northern California.
Any suggestions?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I'm running a SE5 on the back of my Rise. It's the same tread as the XR5 but the SE has a heavier casing and slightly softer rubber. I actually really like it.

It struggles a little bit on wet roots and slithery chalk but then pretty much every tyre struggles there. The SE5 rolls really well, climbs superbly and digs in nicely in loose stuff. I recently swapped to a DHR2 in MaxxGrip and my god, that thing is a pig of a tyre to pedal. Ok, it sticks to rock like shit to a blanket but riding it made me realise how good the SE5 actually is as an all rounder.

I'd keep them personally. At least for the rear. I didn't like it so much up front but I now realise that I was running way to much air pressure when I tried it.

Edit:

Just seen that you're riding the south downs. No matter what tyre you fit, nothing is going to grip on green chalk 😂

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
I'm running a SE5 on the back of my Rise. It's the same tread as the XR5 but the SE has a heavier casing and slightly softer rubber. I actually really like it.

It struggles a little bit on wet roots and slithery chalk but then pretty much every tyre struggles there. The SE5 rolls really well, climbs superbly and digs in nicely in loose stuff. I recently swapped to a DHR2 in MaxxGrip and my god, that thing is a pig of a tyre to pedal. Ok, it sticks to rock like shit to a blanket but riding it made me realise how good the SE5 actually is as an all rounder.

I'd keep them personally. At least for the rear. I didn't like it so much up front but I now realise that I was running way to much air pressure when I tried it.

Edit:

Just seen that you're riding the south downs. No matter what tyre you fit, nothing is going to grip on green chalk 😂

Haha that chalk is a bastard. Will give the XR5s a run. The SE5s might be an option if I like the grip to get the extra strength casing. Will give them a few rides.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I ride in the east bay in N. Ca. I have for a long time rode with Assagai up front with a DHR2 rear on my Stance EMTB. I got a new Trance advanced EMTB start of summer and it came with with Minion DHF up front and dissector in the back. I really didn't like the bike much compared to my Stance. I was slipping all over the place on the hot dry loose dirt trails around here. I was going to wait for the tires to wear out, but I decided to put an Assagai on the front and what a difference it made. I am back to liking riding my bike. The dissector in the back seems ok, but I have already bought a DHR2 for the back. Just waiting for the dissector wear out. On my Stance I had a 3CT/EXO on the front and DD on the back. But my Trance has 2.6" tires (vs. 2.4") and there is no DD for the DHR2, so I am going with 3CT/EXO on both the front and back.

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
Anyone tried any of the new radial tires? I think only Swab are making them at the moment. Anyone noticed if any of the competition riders are using them?
Baz

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles