Long travel Bafang M820 build

tom.stevens.ADL

Aug 3, 2024
Adelaide, South Australia
I'm looking to build a lightweight, long travel EMTB using the bafang m820. This all started when I was looking to do a mondraker dune frame build but can't get the frame in Australia then got into the rabbit hole of the m820 motor and like the idea

Ideally looking for minimum of 160mm rear travel and put a 170-180mm fork on there. Full winch and plummet machine.

Other criteria I'm looking to fill
- non-headset cable routing
- mullet compatible
- 360wh or above battery capacity
- compatible with a range extender or easily removable/swappable battery (not a deal breaker but preferred)
- UDH compatible

Was looking at the LCE930, CEF50 and E67 frames but none seem to fit the bill. I know you can ask for the CEF50 to come with non headset cable routing but none have the travel capabilities I'm looking for

Also another thing I've found and haven't found a direct answer for, other than having to get the matching battery, what are the differences between the 36v, 43v and 48v motors?

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
I'm looking to build a lightweight, long travel EMTB using the bafang m820. This all started when I was looking to do a mondraker dune frame build but can't get the frame in Australia then got into the rabbit hole of the m820 motor and like the idea

Ideally looking for minimum of 160mm rear travel and put a 170-180mm fork on there. Full winch and plummet machine.

- mullet compatible
- compatible with a range extender or easily removable/swappable battery (not a deal breaker but preferred)
- UDH compatible

Was looking at the LCE930, CEF50 and E67 frames but none seem to fit the bill. I know you can ask for the CEF50 to come with non headset cable routing but none have the travel capabilities I'm looking for

Also another thing I've found and haven't found a direct answer for, other than having to get the matching battery, what are the differences between the 36v, 43v and 48v motors?
I have overstrocked my lce930 with a 170mm Zeb, but the back is still 150mm.
You can check in the cef50, there are examples of 160mm in the back.
Also, it’s more versatile in terms of battery choice

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
Seems you are asking for the Dengfu E69. No idea about availability, but it is an interesting frame.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Seems you are asking for the Dengfu E69. No idea about availability, but it is an interesting frame.

I too would love to find out more info on this frame. There is a lack of confirmed information out there on this.

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
I request linda to do some small modifications to my cef50

- mullet compatible
- UDH compatible

Also another thing I've found and haven't found a direct answer for, other than having to get the matching battery, what are the differences between the 36v, 43v and 48v motor

- mullet compatible
- UDH compatible

I requested linda to did some modifications on my cef50 rocker arm and now my frame has no problem travel to 165 , it's even can reach 170mm but there are no shock available to 60mm stroke. .Does frame travel 165mm enough for u?

Last edited:

dariusf

Mar 6, 2024
USA
Sounds like a quite extreme enduro or downhill geometry. Never seen an EBike frame for Bafang motors with these specs. What trails are you planning to ride on this?

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
Sounds like a quite extreme enduro or downhill geometry. Never seen an EBike frame for Bafang motors with these specs. What trails are you planning to ride on this?
I just got back from megavalanche 2024 race . Those type of trail it's usual ride as I prefer natural trail with root n rock. I don't really jump alot. Wanted to bring my cef50 over but it's too difficult to carry on the plane else definitely will ride my cef50 over my giga 290. My giga been collecting dust ever since I got my cef50, although my giga has a higher end parts on it.

dariusf

Mar 6, 2024
USA
I just got back from megavalanche 2024 race . Those type of trail it's usual ride as I prefer natural trail with root n rock. I don't really jump alot. Wanted to bring my cef50 over but it's too difficult to carry on the plane else definitely will ride my cef50 over my giga 290. My giga been collecting dust ever since I got my cef50, although my giga has a higher end parts on it.
That explains is :) I'm in Midwest Chicago area and my local Palos trails are lots of up and down and only a few short downhills with max 2 foot jumps. Lots of roots and rocks and a few rock garden trails but nothing like megaavalanch. Have few bikes and the most aggressive is Ibis Mojo 3 with 150/130mm but many ride cross country/ trail bikes here.

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
My cef50 , nothing much for me to upgrade, I am extremely satisfied with this bike. Very capable bike. 19.5 KG with cushcore and T-mac pedal.

20240813_102130.jpg

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I request linda to do some small modifications to my cef50

I requested linda to did some modifications on my cef50 rocker arm and now my frame has no problem travel to 165 , it's even can reach 170mm but there are no shock available to 60mm stroke. .Does frame travel 165mm enough for u?
which modification ? you have mount rocker arm of V2 on V1 frame ?

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
Thanks for the answer. not clear. SZZS build for you an modified link or you machined original link to allow more travel ?
I request szzs to machine it down before paint it. They should know the thickness of the linkage. Originally when full travel to 165mm as on my picture (black frame) the linkage will touch each other once I machine it down there should have enough room for 165mm.

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
Battery 48v 480wh. I basically upgrade my carbon to T800 from standard T700. My bike has most high end parts. Anyway we have few similar setup and some with lower end parts weight around 20.5kg. All using ohln shock. My bike its the lightest in this picture as i weight all my parts before i install and money its not an issue. My intention its to weight similar to Swork Levo SL and over take it like peanut as my friend are laughing at me when i told them i am getting a china frame , not some big brand bike. Now i show them who's the one laughing.

20240616_110826.jpg 20240409_205916.jpg 20240217_172241.jpg 20240102_190344.jpg 20240125_204505.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles