Kiox connection issue

Steve33

Nov 17, 2020
Kendal, UK
Hi All
I am having an issue where cant connect my kiox to my phone, (had no issues for last 3 years), tried the basics of turn off turn on, turn blutooth off on both, reinstall e bike connect app, but still wont connect. Am in contact with bosch, but quite slow backwards and forwards. Next step is to unpair both phone and kiox and repair, but i am worried that it will affect the lock function, ( and i end up with a locked bike) as i cant alter it as you have to be connected to the phone and as i cant connect to the phone, i cant do anything with it. Has anybody had this issue and how did it get sorted. Thanks

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
A friend of mine had a similar issue, like you tried blutooth off/on, deleted bike from phones bluetooth paired list and re-paired...this was partially successful in that it re-paired, but still didn't connect afterwards.

Eventually we deleted the bike from the phones paired list removed the bikes battery and waited a few minutes.
Refitted the battery, re-pared and bingo worked ok and has done since.

Give it a go

(you do need a good data connection on the phone)

Steve33

Nov 17, 2020
Kendal, UK
Thanks, Did they have the lock function, just worried if I delete phone from e bike connect app and re pair, it might cause a lock function issue

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee
Thanks, Did they have the lock function, just worried if I delete phone from e bike connect app and re pair, it might cause a lock function issue
I thought this aswell when I got a new phone.
No it doesn't. The bike is locked. Simply open the app and re pair very ez.

Steve33

Nov 17, 2020
Kendal, UK
Yeh, I hope, because it's same phone and bike, there should be no issue, but taking the risk and doing it is scary.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
If you just delete the bike from your phones bluetooth paired list, the bike remains 'in the app', but has no phone connected.
If I remember correctly, on the app home page a section goes pink and mentions something like not paired tap to re-try.
It then should go through the pairing set up from scratch.

We tried this numerous times, but the only way to get it to re-pair and connect properly was to remove the bikes main battery.

HTH

Just a addition, my mates bike had the lock function, with the kiox as the 'key'.
Once re-paired we could remove the lock and change it to the phone as the key

Steve33

Nov 17, 2020
Kendal, UK
So have removed kiox from phones Bluetooth, i soft reset kiox, removed bike battery and restarted phone, i go into ebike app, it now has a connect button, click that, app searches for kiox, on the kiox itself it says to pair must first remove already paired phone, i click this and then says lock function must be removed by initial user or motor will be locked, so i stopped at this point, as unsure if I unpair it and then repair the same phone it will recognise it and lock function will be ok, or it won't and i have locked the motor arrgghh.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Maybe the kiox soft reset has caused a problem?
We didn't do that bit and it re-connected fine.

My mates problem started when his phone battery ran out, (he likes to ride with music playing and lots of other crap running in the background) so lost connection with the bike and it locked itself while he was out on a local ride. Fortunately he was close to home so was able to ride unassisted.
So this wouldn't happen again, once recharged, we went into the Flow app and changed the 'key' to the Kiox instead of the phone (no more phone battery problem (y)(y)). The Kiox key works great, but when he tried to connect the phone to record the next ride it wouldn't, hence trying to repair etc.

I think you'll be ok as long as you don't reset and remove the bike from the app as this WILL lock it.
Unfortunately, your current situation is not one I've experienced.

My own bike is on the old pre smart system, that app is garbage so I just stopped using it.
Eventually I removed the lock and bike, closed the account and deleted the app.

Steve33

Nov 17, 2020
Kendal, UK
Thanks I am on the old system as well, the ebike connect app not the newer flow app. I dont really use the app, but as one who has had a bike stolen, use it for the lock function. Problem is when I try and repair to my phone the kiox wants to delete the phone, so do i risk doing this. Contacted bosch but still waiting 2 days later for thier help.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Ahhh, that changes things a bit.
I was assuming that you were running the smart system and flow app (should have read your first post a bit more carefully 😑).

I still think that you'll be able to re-pair as the bike is stored on your Bosch account.

I'm sure its still possible to do it from within the app, and I think the only way it to simply try it.

I do know of someone in a similar position that did do it from the connect app, but I think it took a couple of goes.

Have a look at this link, it describes what to do when you get a new phone,
What points do I have to remember about the 'Lock' function of the eBike Connect app when I change my phone?

You'll be doing the same but with your existing phone.

🤞
HTH

Last edited:

Steve33

Nov 17, 2020
Kendal, UK
So we have a answer. I was passing my LBS, so called in to ask them and they didn't have any idea of if the lock function would be affected and after 4 days of waiting for Bosch to get back to me, i decided to go for it anyway, as i had nothing to lose. So i unpaired my phone from app, i then repaired it with no issues what so ever, kiox found phone and couple of button presses and i was reconnected and it did not affect the lock function at all, i could go into app and change lock function and take kiox of bike and it would lock back on unlock no issues, so panic over, thanks MrPeaski & embt for your help

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
With the pre-smart system, the phone does very little.
For the lock function, it only turns it on and off. The Kiox is the key.

I think as long as the Kiox is on the bike, it doesn't matter if the phone is connected or even present, the bike will run.
As soon as you remove the Kiox, regardless of whether the lock function is on or not, the bike won't run.
The lock simply stops any Kiox other than the one registered to bike the from allowing the motor to run.
I.E without the lock function turned on, any Kiox fitted to the bike will allow it to power on the bike and use the motor.

With the smart system, the same is as above, but you can also set the phone to be the 'key'.
There are some smart system bikes that come without any kind of display, but the lock function is still available to the user by setting the phone up to lock/unlock it, the only downside to this is if the phones battery dies, the bluetooth connection to the bike is lost so it locks the bike! This was the issue my mate had.
After we got his back to how it was, he got himself a small powerbank to carry with him, so at least his phone will have enough charge to turn the lock off and continue to ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles