Is the beginning of the end of mechanical de-restrictors ?

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
normal_Web_InstinctPowerplay_MargusRiga_BritishColumbia_40_519899.jpg

3 Magnets - makes the sun/planet de-restrictor mechanism trickier to design

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Interesting that the new Rocky Mountain has more than one magnet though - I assume it is because of smoother starting, as you suggest.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Possibly it is because with one magnet, it registers movement every 2 metres or so (i.e., wheel circumference), so when you are going very slowly the bike thinks you are actually stationary, and so cuts out the power - and 3 magnets will register movement every 0.7 metres approximately.

Not sure if this is something every eBike would benefit from, but the Rocky Mountain eBike motor has a different type of torque sensor to all the other brands (it uses chain tension to sense torque), so possibly it may be related to that.

At first I wondered if the 3 magnets were something to do with the more stringent regulations regarding de-restricting that Europe is beginning to enforce, but I realise that is probably unlikely.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
lt's funny how they are getting really strict on not derestricting Ebikes and yet in other areas the law is much more easy going, such as cars being able to exceed the speed limit, which is entirely down to the driver.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Fuck the law . Do what you want . Just try not to hurt anyone or thing. When you drive your car don't be a dickhead . And when you ride your de restricted eeb slow down when u pass people and cars and shit that kills u and other people.
So "fuck the law" but also respect the law.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Fuck the law . Do what you want . Just try not to hurt anyone or thing. When you drive your car don't be a dickhead . And when you ride your de restricted eeb slow down when u pass people and cars and shit that kills u and other people.
My sentiments exactly

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles