Fox 38 170mm or upgrade Zeb?

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
All

Bit of a quandary.....
Should I upgrade the base 160mm Zebs on my Whyte e160 to the charger 3.1 damper or get a set of Fox 38 Performance Elite which are 170mm and deal with the extra 10mm?

The Fox 38's are a decent price.... And I could sell my Zebs.... But then there's the change of travel etc....

Thoughts guys please?!

Thanks

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
They’re very different forks, depends what you want from a fork. From my experience the fox is more buttery off the top but requires a lot more setup and tuning. The Zeb is more fit and forget, just gets it done with no drama.

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
I've ridden the 38's previously and found them to be nice and plush v and were my preference, but the new Charger 3.1 is supposed to be quite close.....

Despite 'only' being 50, my body is quite knackered and joints hurt, so after some plushness to ease things (already swapped the stick RS Deluxe for a Float X PE)

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Fox 38's are great forks especially when you get rid of the air spring and install a smashpot it's night and day , I've recently gone from 160mm to 170mm just out of curiosity and haven't noticed the 10mm difference whatsoever 🤟

YZDude

Aug 28, 2022
Eagan, MN USA
I’d keep Zeb and because I’m a deal seeker, I’d probably look for someone selling their 3 or even a 2.1 Charger if you have the base RC.
As soon as you get the latest and greatest, they’ll have a new later/greater. That’s what happened when I bought my 2.1 ultimate.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
I went from Zeb 160 to Zeb 170. There is no noticeable difference to my mind.
I like the Zeb chassis but have struggled to make it work for my old body and riding requirements. So I fitted a smashpot that has helped with maintaining geometry but so far not helped with shoulder saving suppleness.
I have basic charger R damper but have put a 3.1 on pre-order. No idea what to expect.
Everyone I know with a fox 38 is very smug

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
I went from Zeb 160 to Zeb 170. There is no noticeable difference to my mind.
I like the Zeb chassis but have struggled to make it work for my old body and riding requirements. So I fitted a smashpot that has helped with maintaining geometry but so far not helped with shoulder saving suppleness.
I have basic charger R damper but have put a 3.1 on pre-order. No idea what to expect.
Everyone I know with a fox 38 is very smug
I'm hoping the Charger 3.1 will deliver it too.... Plushness (reduce tail chatter etc), but still supportive......

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
2022 Trek Rail 5 (alloy).

Have a Zeb Ultimate MY23 160mm with a Trutune insert. It worked very well and also tried it with a 170mm air shaft but finally felt that a slightly less stiff fork might work better. So bought a MY23 Lyrik Ultimate 160mm which with the Trutune insert does for me work better on trail, XC, and downhill (imo). The reduced stiffness seems to better absorb vibration and give better 'feel', and when it gets really rough there's so much going on that control is the most important issue. Don't get much air, about 4' is all I do, can't risk twisted landings because my left ACL is rather second hand. All in my opinion of course.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
My amish bike came with a Zeb select. I pulled it off before a single ride and sold it for $400 on pinkbike. Watched facebook marketplace and picked up a brand new takeoff fox 38 performance elite for $450. If you have patience you can find a good deal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles