Fazua Ride 60. Yay or Nay? Reliability Improved?

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
I’m not sure where the Stockholm syndrome analogy comes into play? I’m not being held captive. I can buy any bike I want.
Same. I've wondered if this is part of what makes us less miffed as customers. I did my research and knew the risks. I had other bikes to keep me riding while motor replacement was underway. We just bought my wife a sale Relay as well. Considered the new Fluid VLT but honestly, I know what I'm getting with both Transition and Fazua and I don't have the same level of first-hand trust that I can easily sort things out with Bosch.
I think the general consensus is they are getting better but they were trash to begin with. I still wouldn't bother with a ride 60 system for perhaps another generation yet.

I know two pivot dealers in NZ that have had over 50% return rate on shuttle SL's
No denying there have been teething pains and I think Pivot (+Transition?) took the early brunt. I don't think there's any consensus that they're trash though. I put 10 hours on my HSL this weekend, the bike is glorious.

Oldfella

Feb 1, 2023
new zealand
Interesting point. I am looking at the Focus Jam SL with the Fazua and on the web site it talks about the range extender. Even if you could but one where would it plug in as you have to remove the battery to charge it and there is no charging port.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Interesting point. I am looking at the Focus Jam SL with the Fazua and on the web site it talks about the range extender. Even if you could but one where would it plug in as you have to remove the battery to charge it and there is no charging port.
The Relay (removable battery) and HSL both have the extender port right below the bottle cage, so I'd guess the Focus follows that pattern. FWIW in a recent Path podcast they mentioned November ETA for the extender. I won't hold my breath but I'll cross my fingers.

There's a thread for the extender discussion: Ride 60 Range Extender/Spare battery

JayGoodrich

Aug 11, 2023
Alpine, Wyoming
Just received 1 of 2 Heckler SLs, so only have a few rides on it. It’s quieter than my Trek EXe and has way more power than my Orbea Rise—on the easy climbs where we have compared them side by side. Still just running the stock tuning modes, but that will probably change when I get on the bigger and steeper trails that I will use this thing for.

It connected to my Garmin Fénix 7 watch pretty easily. The FAZUA app is easy to use and has its own amount of riding data—like actual battery percentage (this also available on the watch). The led display is a little archaic looking but still functions fine. The ring controller feels loose but it has side functions that allow you to push it in which is why most people discuss its cheapness? The ring controller is metal so lets see how this goes further down the road.

It also has a bunch more range obviously the Trek and the Orbea without the fantasy, forthcoming, rumored range extender.

Obviously, I don’t really know reliability over the long haul yet, but I feel that in general Santa Cruz did a really good job creating and integrating this bike.

There are a ton of firmware updates to the FAZUA system as well. It’s currently up to number 9. It feels like they care about the system as a whole so I wouldn’t be surprised with more updates/accessories/tweaks coming in the future.

I’ll definitely circle back as I ride this over more varied terrain over the summer.

Hope this helps with your decision.
**Heckler SL UPDATE**

Did an evil ride that is 18 miles with 4000 vertical feet of climbing. The Heckler SL came into the parking lot with 20% left on the battery after riding in the trail or river setting with multiple trips into boost or rocket modes.

Then at 498 miles the motor crapped out. FAZUA is replacing it without any question but we’re not sure how long it would take to get a motor. 2-4 weeks. Sounds like they are still having issues.

Back to riding my Rise that has close to 2000 miles on it without issue.

More soon….

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
**Heckler SL UPDATE**

Did an evil ride that is 18 miles with 4000 vertical feet of climbing. The Heckler SL came into the parking lot with 20% left on the battery after riding in the trail or river setting with multiple trips into boost or rocket modes.

Then at 498 miles the motor crapped out. FAZUA is replacing it without any question but we’re not sure how long it would take to get a motor. 2-4 weeks. Sounds like they are still having issues.

Back to riding my Rise that has close to 2000 miles on it without issue.

More soon….
Share which hardware versions pre- and post- warranty if you can. I suspect all the original HSLs will have the v2 motor hardware and thus there's not going to be any change in failure rate on them until the bad ones get worked through. FWIW I crossed 1500 miles today on my v5.

JayGoodrich

Aug 11, 2023
Alpine, Wyoming
Share which hardware versions pre- and post- warranty if you can. I suspect all the original HSLs will have the v2 motor hardware and thus there's not going to be any change in failure rate on them until the bad ones get worked through. FWIW I crossed 1500 miles today on my v5.
It’s a v5 motor with the 009 update installed. This bike arrived June 1.

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
It‘s not only version, also timing of production/quality control.. From beginning of this year they started to use AI from Porsche which records the motor sound and can predict if the motor will fail based on the sound. Mine is produced Jan 2024, not sure if they already applied that QA method at mine, 1800km in so far, fingers crossed 😃

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
It‘s not only version, also timing of production/quality control.. From beginning of this year they started to use AI from Porsche which records the motor sound and can predict if the motor will fail based on the sound. Mine is produced Jan 2024, not sure if they already applied that QA method at mine, 1800km in so far, fingers crossed 😃
Interesting. I hadn't come across this yet, but found some articles.

Maybe I should ride mine (even) harder before my two years is up. :LOL:

Reactions: Dax

ehfour

Feb 28, 2024
Vancouver
I may have missed it, what Version are you on?

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
does that ai also speed up up the developement of the range extender they announced 3 years ago?

it‘s not like orbea released 3 new batteries in the same time frame…

Sandski

Aug 19, 2024
Nevada county
Considering a Ride 60 equipped bike (latest motor). How is the reliability these days? I know there were a lot of problems in the past but have they improved? Would you buy again?
My current bike is a Levo SL and the motor and electronics have given me some problems but nothing that left me without power out on the trails (so far, fingers crossed) which would be my biggest worry.
I like the fazua ride 60 motor, but they can’t seem to get it together for the extender which would be great for the longer rides using an sl type bike

Sandski

Aug 19, 2024
Nevada county
does that ai also speed up up the developement of the range extender they announced 3 years ago?

it‘s not like orbea released 3 new batteries in the same time frame…
I’m frustrated with that too.. I need one as well. I contacted fazua in Germany and they said latter part of 2025 now.. personally I would encourage Everyone to contact them and maybe that could/might expedite them to hurry up the process to creating an extender, I have a pivot SL shuttle, and I’d love to have an extender for those longer rides with the full powered bikers that I try to keep up with.

Sandski

Aug 19, 2024
Nevada county
I think the general consensus is they are getting better but they were trash to begin with. I still wouldn't bother with a ride 60 system for perhaps another generation yet.

I know two pivot dealers in NZ that have had over 50% return rate on shuttle SL's
Why are they returning the SL shuttles ride 60.. ? So far my pivot works great, but I have the battery anxiety for those longer fast rides without that extender that fazua keeps putting into the future.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
Why are they returning the SL shuttles ride 60.. ? So far my pivot works great, but I have the battery anxiety for those longer fast rides without that extender that fazua keeps putting into the future.
My mate is a gold level Pivot dealer, he stopped selling the Shuttle SL because of the returns. He’s had his shop over 15 years now and it’s still the only bike he’s ever had to refund. He sells a ton of Pivots but won’t recommend the Shuttle SL to anyone.

Sandski

Aug 19, 2024
Nevada county
Well that’s good to know, altho I currently own a pivot shuttle sl for a full year now.. I’m kinda stuck, unless I try and sell it cheap. It’s been a pretty good bike though, ,..just frustrated that I can’t get an extender for it.. if I could buy an extender for it, I’d be 100% satisfied,,..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles