Fazua Ride 60. Yay or Nay? Reliability Improved?

johndeu

Sep 28, 2024
Issaquah, WA
New to the forums here. Recent owner of a Transition Relay Carbon GX bike. I bought it back in May '24 and it's been fantastic all summer. Just this last week, after 240 miles on the motor, I started hearing some odd noises on a local loop. Nothing too technical. It started as a mechanical grinding sound that I just dismissed at first on the climb, but then it got louder and I knew something was not normal. Anytime I let off on power to the pedals, it would also make a very strange clutch release whooshing sound. After a few more miles, it developed a "ticking sound". Then it suddenly stopped and sounded normal and quiet again.
I immediately contacted Transition in Bellingham and they were amazing. They just "happened to have a motor" available on the shelf and put it aside for me. Great customer service! I brought it up to the Outpost and had it swapped out the next day. Sounds very quiet now.

I need to test it out some more to make sure it's working but happy that they are swapping them out under warranty so easily if there is a known issue with this generation of motors. I still need to check in the Toolbox to see what hardware version of the motor this is.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
New to the forums here. Recent owner of a Transition Relay Carbon GX bike. I bought it back in May '24 and it's been fantastic all summer. Just this last week, after 240 miles on the motor, I started hearing some odd noises on a local loop. Nothing too technical. It started as a mechanical grinding sound that I just dismissed at first on the climb, but then it got louder and I knew something was not normal. Anytime I let off on power to the pedals, it would also make a very strange clutch release whooshing sound. After a few more miles, it developed a "ticking sound". Then it suddenly stopped and sounded normal and quiet again.
I immediately contacted Transition in Bellingham and they were amazing. They just "happened to have a motor" available on the shelf and put it aside for me. Great customer service! I brought it up to the Outpost and had it swapped out the next day. Sounds very quiet now.

I need to test it out some more to make sure it's working but happy that they are swapping them out under warranty so easily if there is a known issue with this generation of motors. I still need to check in the Toolbox to see what hardware version of the motor this is.
You got lucky with them having a motor. My local SC dealer has 2 of his demo Heckler SLs waiting on motors, he was told 10 weeks minimum to get warranty replacements!

johndeu

Sep 28, 2024
Issaquah, WA
You got lucky with them having a motor. My local SC dealer has 2 of his demo Heckler SLs waiting on motors, he was told 10 weeks minimum to get warranty replacements!
I'm guessing that Transition might have a stock of them up in Bellingham for this reason as well. They probably get more units than a LBS would get prioritized to have. Or I timed it really well somehow.

Now I'm concerned about post warranty purchase of a new drive unit if it fails again. I'm hoping that the price will come down in a few years and I can easily pickup a backup motor through Fazua or via Transition.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
I'm guessing that Transition might have a stock of them up in Bellingham for this reason as well. They probably get more units than a LBS would get prioritized to have. Or I timed it really well somehow.

Now I'm concerned about post warranty purchase of a new drive unit if it fails again. I'm hoping that the price will come down in a few years and I can easily pickup a backup motor through Fazua or via Transition.
It’s UK/EU wide, apparently there’s a shortage of motors. I’m guessing they’ve run out of stock with all the warranty replacements and can’t get the rebuilt motors out fast enough.

jonas

Feb 9, 2020
Germany
Just FYI my experience with the Fazua ride 60 reliability in 2024:

I've bought the Focus Jam² SL 10 months ago and rode 2400km in total.
I am on the third motor which is just now failing after 990km.

To be fair the bike hasn't seen much tarmac and instead lots of sometimes rough enduro tracks, steep climbs in boost(rocket) mode as well as quite a lot of rain and mud. But nothing the bike isn't made for.

I still think the Fazua ride 60 package on a 150/160 bike is the best thing and I really loved it, when it worked. But by now I am convinced the system is not reliable enough for advanced users. Maybe I just had bad luck or some kind of frame intolerance, but for me it's no longer worth the hassle to spend the time and money on quarterly motor replacements.
(Fazua warranty did not cover all labor costs in Germany)

I've decided to go back to Shimano and ordered an EP8 powered EMTB.

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
Sounds really bad :(
What serial number / production date did your latest motor have?
Any why you had to pay when the motor was replaced? I had to pay nothing.
I have 2100km on my second motor now, hoping it holds up strong.

jonas

Feb 9, 2020
Germany
All three motors were "Motor F4, Hardware Version 2, Firmware 2.0" and produced in 2023.

#1 produced Q1 2023 had a faulty freehub. (Motor did spin but not engage. Apparently a known production issue caused by bad quality glue)
#2 produced Q4 2023 developed play in the bottom bracket axle. (I suspect it lead to water getting in and had the motor turn off and on like a loose connection)
#3 produced Q3 2023 gets loud and slower under load, like something is jamming the gears

None of the motors showed any error messages.

In Germany there is a difference between warranty by the retailer that has to cover all costs by law and the voluntary manufacturer warranty. To save time i opted for the Fazua warranty in a local bike shop instead of sending the bike back to the dealer. It was two different local bike shops and in both instances Fazua did not cover the cost of installation.

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Mine has been amazing now for about 1.5 years. It's really smooth and quiet.

I rarely expose it to water however.

lanfeust9

Oct 4, 2022
Squamish
Santa Cruz Heckler SL owner for a year now and maybe 1500km -> in short I am very disappointed by Fazua Ride 60.

The rest of the bike is great which does not help when buying an eBike (...).

The head computer had to be replaced after a month, which was the least of my issues.

Since then I had to bring the bike multiple times to the bike shop as the power delivery is not consistent, from time to time the bike can become very inconsistent and deliver what feels like 20%-50% of the regular power before to go back to regular power for a few seconds before to go back to lower power etc etc. The bike can also deliver way too much power from time to time even when the pedal input is minimal (this is more rare).

The worst was during a bike trip where the bike decided to consistently deliver just 20% of the power anymore.

The shop reports that there is no error of any kind and that they cannot contact Fazua as a result, what has been done so far that has worked but never for ever is to recalibrate the speed sensor.

In summary, I am extremely disappointed by the reliability and lack of investigation ability in Ride 60, if the motor/battery records no error message how can Fazua fix anything, they can't and they haven't fixed my bike. I am left with trying to investigate this myself and see if I can see any message in the app during the time the power delivery is inconsistent.

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
(Fazua warranty did not cover all labor costs in Germany)
that's major BS. gewährleistungsrecht says otherwise. you should tell them you want wandlung and they need to reverse the contract as they already tried to fix the problem 3x and you still have a faulty product. also they can't charge you for fixing a faulty product. know your rights!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles