EBike Scratches

Psychlops

Jan 16, 2022
Ireland
So someone scratched my Ebike the other day with their chainlock, its cosmetic & not too noticeable but I can see it, does anybody recommend any products to help with the scratches? Thank you.

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
If it's just a scuff, you could try clear varnish. When I bought my most recent toy, it came with a little bottle of touch up paint. Maybe you have one somewhere with the paperwork.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
So someone scratched my Ebike the other day with their chainlock, its cosmetic & not too noticeable but I can see it, does anybody recommend any products to help with the scratches? Thank you.
did it go through the top and base coats, otherwise just t-cut it
I started out doing that and gave up as I was getting so many scratches so ill do them all at once at some point and then get around to invisiframing it

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I ended up getting my frame soda blasted and left it raw/uncoated, now I never have to worry about paint chips and any tough marks or blemishes disappear with a scotch pad.
20220201_095630.jpg

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Yeah, ebike scratches are usually deeper, so much so, bandaid isn’t enough and a few stitches shall be necessary.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was rummaging about in Halfords yesterday (Halfords is a motor factor in the UK) and happened to see a scratch repair kit, intended for car paintwork. I didn't even pick it up for a quick look, but it appeared to be a clear liquid that is painted on. Somehow it obscures the scratch. I have no idea how it works. Maybe worth a try?

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Unfortunately bikes are going to get paintwork damage. I don't go out to damage the paint, but I'm not precious about it when it does get scratches or chips. I see the bike as more of an offroader rather than a show car.

My car on the other hand I'm very careful with. But I think thats because I know it shouldn't get damaged where as the bike is bound to be due to the type of use.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
A very small tube of crazy glue for when you spring a leak …on your chin. Keeps ya going for the next crash. Laquer finger nail paint is not perfect for touch-ups but you could find a colour close enough. I got three flavours now.

Psychlops

Jan 16, 2022
Ireland
I was rummaging about in Halfords yesterday (Halfords is a motor factor in the UK) and happened to see a scratch repair kit, intended for car paintwork. I didn't even pick it up for a quick look, but it appeared to be a clear liquid that is painted on. Somehow it obscures the scratch. I have no idea how it works. Maybe worth a try?
Thanks, we have Halfords over here in Ireland too, do you know what the name was?

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
Halfords scratch repair works well.
I had a twat lock his bike next to mine and he somehow managed to kick and bend my derailleur hanger, it was bad enough for me to have to set them up again at the roadside.

Steve

chetbango

Dec 16, 2021
NorCal
Depending on the size and location of the scratch, you may be able to turn it into a stripe.
I have carbon look vinyl wrap that I put on my battery "door" to keep from scratching the paint when my bike is on the tailgate pad of my truck. I had a chip in the paint that I covered with a strip of the vinyl wrap. I just wrapped a chevron shaped stripe around the tube where the chip was. It looks decent, definitely better than the dime sized chip in the paint.

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Sometimes the bike manufacturer will have a paint formula that they can give you to match the color of your bike. In the US you can take the formula to a hobby store or car paint store to mix up a batch for repairs.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Take your bike into Halfords and compare the paints in the paint aisle. If they won't let you in with the bike then take a close-up pic of the paint and do your best. I once found a PERFECT match. Peugeot Aegean blue metallic for the blue on my Focus Jam2. I also managed to match the red on my Merida eOne-Sixty (Hyundai Electric Red). I didn't get a perfect match for the black but Halford's satin black is very close.

Psychlops

Jan 16, 2022
Ireland
So far, i have cleaned it down & used T-Cut Black which didnt disappear the scratches but made them slightly fainter, I am now considering using Model Aircraft gloss black from revell or humbrol.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles