Built Emtb from scratch - Kirby Bikes

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
Sorry which bit is wrong, I'm sure in the video he stated that the BMS on the battery was an add on that hadnt been purchased. When I asked about the weight on ebike smile he said 26kg to me. eBike Smile - eMTB Community

This lithium ion battery is made up of 18650 cells grouped in series and parallel. The nominal voltage of an 18650 cell is 4.2 volts. These cells charge and discharge at very slightly different rates and require a battery management system (BMS) to keep them in sync. Without one some cells would overcharge to compensate for the ones under charging and potentially cause a massive fireball.

I think what you are talking about is some kind of system to display and alter the bms parameters. It must have some kind of BMS. Sorry for my short rude answer.

Mark S

Oct 14, 2018
Brisbane
Another really great thing about this bike is it should last indefinitely.... like triggers broom. The bafang motors are very popular and you can buy spare parts for the motor internals. The motors also accept a wide range of batteries including home made. If your clocking up serious miles commuting or riding your bike really hard in wet conditions you won't need to buy a whole new motor when it fails out of warranty.
Yes - Bafang has a pretty good reputation from what I can see, but it is the quality of the carbon fibre frames and bits that makes me a little reticent going down the build-your-own path. If I could be pretty sure the Quality of the carbon products is as for any of the bike manufacturers, it would be a no brainer.
Cheers
Mark

fos'l

May 14, 2018
socal, USA
I built a steel-framed hardtail with a Bafang BBS02 paired with a 52V, 10 ah battery four years ago and the system still functions perfectly averaging two 10 - 20 mile, 1,500' - 3,000' ascent rides per week. My friend has had a succession of OEM (Felt, then Bulls) bikes and we ride together although my bike is more powerful. The cost of the system was less than $1,000 ($500 motor, $300 battery, $30 charger). The rpm-only sensor works fine and I prefer this bike to my "sophisticated" Haibike NDURO.

IMG_3970.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles