Dji avinox

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
I saw some bike with a gearbox without battery: you can shift speed up ok but need to stop pedal to down speed, crazy.

Hard to know if gearbox can take the reign. For emtb, perhaps for people willingly accepting the huge noise from the motor.

For analog bike, come on, we did not have the need for wireless shifting, do not open the door to the gearbox.

Some reasons you might want a gearbox, I guess, is that, no more cassette, weight at a better place, no more derailleur bent!

Some reasons you do not want them, it is not efficient, lack power vs a bosch for example, can't say much on an analog bike but different type of riding required.

I don't think tons of brand out there will make a frame for a belt and frame for a chain, too much gamble on money.
so much bs in on post, amazing.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There is quite a bit of "tradition" in the cycling world both within the user base and the suppliers...not sure which is chicken and which is egg!!
So we all know the outcry when ebikes were born!...cheats!! How long has it taken for the road bike fraternity to accept disc brakes in place of rim brakes? It seems any major change in bike design or components is likely to take time, but that is not a bad thing. Each of these developmens need time to mature...except of course for early adopters who relish the novelty.

So it will likely be with MGUs, not helped of course by the vested interest of several component brands in cassettes, mechs, selectors etc, and of course existing ebike motor suppliers. Meanwhile we are being wooed with more power, more rider info and blu tooth wizardry.
Maybe Bosch have hit the right note for now with the "new" CX Performance...........same but better with some internal design changes and more sensors? Or ZF with their new motor?

Personally, I dont need anything more than my existing Bosch Gen4 equipped bike so see no need to rush to buy another bike to get the new motor; similarly not interested in a new motor from a new supplier seemingly with no connection to the existing retail market. The ZF does interest me not only due to its relatively unique design but mostly because ZF is ZF!! It needs to be a dopted by my preferred bike brand to be a future purchase for me however. That leaves the MGU and I firmly believe that is the future.............but when?? Certainly not for a few years yet.

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
There is quite a bit of "tradition" in the cycling world both within the user base and the suppliers...not sure which is chicken and which is egg!!
So we all know the outcry when ebikes were born!...cheats!! How long has it taken for the road bike fraternity to accept disc brakes in place of rim brakes? It seems any major change in bike design or components is likely to take time, but that is not a bad thing. Each of these developmens need time to mature...except of course for early adopters who relish the novelty.

So it will likely be with MGUs, not helped of course by the vested interest of several component brands in cassettes, mechs, selectors etc, and of course existing ebike motor suppliers. Meanwhile we are being wooed with more power, more rider info and blu tooth wizardry.
Maybe Bosch have hit the right note for now with the "new" CX Performance...........same but better with some internal design changes and more sensors? Or ZF with their new motor?

Personally, I dont need anything more than my existing Bosch Gen4 equipped bike so see no need to rush to buy another bike to get the new motor; similarly not interested in a new motor from a new supplier seemingly with no connection to the existing retail market. The ZF does interest me not only due to its relatively unique design but mostly because ZF is ZF!! It needs to be a dopted by my preferred bike brand to be a future purchase for me however. That leaves the MGU and I firmly believe that is the future.............but when?? Certainly not for a few years yet.
I agree, it'll probably be 10 years before MGUs are mainstream. You'll see a few more of the smaller boutique bike companies come out with them, people will object as they did with e-bikes early on, and there will be issues as there always are with anything new. Eventually one of the more mainstream brands will come out with a bike featuring one to test the waters, then of course others will follow, and you'll probably see them be commonplace in the long run, but it's going to be a slow process no doubt.

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
Yeah bikes arriving at pedals syndicate shortly. People have pre ordered. They should also have demos.

Give Amy in the shop a call and she will sort anyone out. They are a fantastic shop

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
tell me you are american without telling me you are american

Businesses, have to make tough decisions to survive.

Logic says that you shouldn't buy from a competitor, particularly when that competitor will steal your work if it's profitable.

If that logic makes me obviously 'American', I'm flattered, because frankly that's not how I view some Americans, given our politics, healthcare, etc.

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
Businesses, have to make tough decisions to survive.

Logic says that you shouldn't buy from a competitor, particularly when that competitor will steal your work if it's profitable.

If that logic makes me obviously 'American', I'm flattered, because frankly that's not how I view some Americans, given our politics, healthcare, etc.
with that logic no one should let giant or merida make their frames…

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Anyone see any comments on when its coming to the US?
Soon as you whip out the cc and get in line.

DToX

Oct 6, 2024
United States
Soon as you whip out the cc and get in line.

I don't love the idea buying it from Alibaba, if it's the only option I'll do it. I was expecting at some point to be able to buy from a us based company.

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
I don't love the idea buying it from Alibaba, if it's the only option I'll do it. I was expecting at some point to be able to buy from a us based company.
I do not think this is wise to spend 10k on alibaba on a bike …

Between taxes, no real warranty as they are not obliged too through such channels, this is a big gamble.

Any issue and you will be on your own.

DToX

Oct 6, 2024
United States
I do not think this is wise to spend 10k on alibaba on a bike …

Between taxes, no real warranty as they are not obliged too through such channels, this is a big gamble.

Any issue and you will be on your own.
Exactly, that's why I'm hopeful to hear a timeline on US sales.

Thanks for all your feedback

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Well that is the price for earlier adoption at this time? It appears to be the only brand available and no doubt some other brand will pick up on the Avinox for the 2025 season but as yet to be revealed. The fact that it is available on Alibaba is like if it was on Amazon here in the US much like you can buy other DJI products. A way for small brands to get their product on the market fast with little advertising and before setting up of a dealer network.

I am also attracted to this system but know enough about being the first on board with tech to keep my powder dry no matter who has it on offer. It is one thing to be excited about new developments happening in the eBike world but another to put down $$$$ to be a tester basically. No matter who puts out this system it will still be a crapshoot as to warranry/service until a proper network is established and that can take a few years.

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
I found it in another forum, we can order directly from their website starting October 8th, but I have not more info

dddddddddd.png

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
Really not sure how fair it could be with different bike, different geometry and weight for starter. Still some food for thoughts.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Similar to the EMBN test, it basically has another "mode" beyond all the other motors. But 33s vs 40s is massive, you could an extra couple of descents over a 1-2h ride. Can't be good for the drivetrain though right? What's more interesting from the video is that the gen 5 bosch is as fast as a gen 4 race motor.

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA
The DJI needs a 5 speed wide ratio heavy duty transmission with that sort of power!
Doubt it will cause a whole lot extra wear, but if it was a huge concern dropping down to a 10 speed would likely be more than enough. Motors with more power (although not eu 250w legal) have been on the market for a while, dropping down to a 5 speed would be massive overkill

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
To be honest, unless you are in the spot to prove something to someone, to make a point, to earn a Strava segment: this is completely useless.

I am not sure this is of a target for everyone, at least for me it just have to bring me uphill, being 10 or 15min, I do not care.

More power = more battery drain, I can definitely waste more time uphill if I can do more DH.

I get some people are just roaming, which is more what Amflow is offering as this is not a great bike for DH.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
To be honest, unless you are in the spot to prove something to someone, to make a point, to earn a Strava segment: this is completely useless.

I am not sure this is of a target for everyone, at least for me it just have to bring me uphill, being 10 or 15min, I do not care.

More power = more battery drain, I can definitely waste more time uphill if I can do more DH.

I get some people are just roaming, which is more what Amflow is offering as this is not a great bike for DH.
It’s bloody good fun though 😂😂

DJI vs Bosch vs Pinion: Unbelievable Difference!!

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
Ahah video on time man!

I know this could be some fun for some surely. I wonder that past the novelty or benchmarking phase what would it be for commoners like us still a thing or people will just have fun and not really use all of that power.

hard to know!

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
The Pinion just isn't a consideration from my point of view. The noise alone is just such a turn off. Not to mention the rest of the bike.

To me, I feel like the Bosch and the DJI are very comparable (I don't care about the fancy screen), it's just that DJI choose to REALLY bend the letter of the law. I imagine that Bosch could crank theirs right up if desired.

It's a good thing I don't drag race my pedal bicycles! I can't see where I would ever need that. Maybe a road transfer?

DirkWisely

Jun 14, 2024
California
The reviewers are all using boost mode because it's neat and exciting. I don't think you'd use it a lot as an average rider, but it'd be great to have for certain trail sections.

It's always good to have more power, since you don't have to use it if you don't need it. If it was just powerful it wouldn't be very exciting. It's the fact that it's powerful *and* light/compact that is exciting.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles