Lehr

May 18, 2023
China
1719880739028.png

gbcoke

Aug 28, 2022
italy
Those specs seems borderline scify !
120nm,1000w peak power,2.5kg,superfast charging,light batteries ...
It's either bs or Bosch/Shimano need to rethink their product line.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Those specs seems borderline scify !
120nm,1000w peak power,2.5kg,superfast charging,light batteries ...
It's either bs or Bosch/Shimano need to rethink their product line.
Looks very promising, you could easily match the orbea rise weight (600wh batteries) yet have a way punchier motor, and then have an 800wh version sitting around 21kg.

Will be interesting to see efficiency tests, being optimistic, DJI will have been really focused on power/efficiency at very low weights.

Big question as always is reliability, have DJI ever tested their motors for more than 10hours, which is the expected lifetime of a drone until you pilot it into a lake?

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
Impressive specs indeed, but what I really want is NOT more power, lighter weight, and reduced size, but simply a motor that can be repaired!! How does it comapre on that front?

It doesn't matter how well it's been built, eventually seals around the axle will fail, water gets in, then bearings and electronics start failing.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Impressive specs from the motor system. The pro version looks really nice.
I really like the idea of the MGU, but I'm looking forward to the full reviews of this and pricing numbers.

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
On the face of it, that looks perfect.
Power, torque, battery, profile, weight and size.

Hopefully it's reliable/ robust.

If it's silent / low noise and doesn't rattle like some motors do as you're descending, it could be in a strong position for some time.

Well done DJI!

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
There is a lot to like about this. Personally I would have preferred they used the "tech" to go all out on lightweight. If they had restricted this to say 80Nm and 400Wh how light could they have got it? Energy density of the battery seems very good.
Not sure about the touch screen. Even with gloves that claim to work with touch screens (from TLD, FOX and 100%) I've never had a good experience operating my phone this way so I don't see the bike screen working very well.
I also have zero interest in controls on the right hand grip area. Ideal would have been zero handle bar controls and something like gesture control on the display in the TT (though I admit that precludes quick mode changes in the midst of tech problems).
Unfortunately I suspect that DJI will very much want to come in at the high end so not expecting this to be cheap or start any kind of price competition amongst the motor brands which is something I think we really need.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
When are they going to release the dji dronebike???
Now, that would really help me improve my bunny hopping.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
this is the first system that actually makes me want to upgrade my cx4 non smart ebike. one thing they need to do is not put heavy anti tamper software on it so it can be derestricted easily. imagine a 45 pound 800 watt derestricted emtb with all that power. they cant release it to north america fast enough

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Im pretty sure I think this about every new bike/engine that comes out but I honestly think this might be a game changer. Basically a full power Trek ExE. Thats amazing. In Robs video they said it will be in other bikes so there is hope for us. Imagine the Kenevo SL but with this motor.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
The numbers don't fit the EU law limits, unless DJI found a loophole...the 1000W peak power are probably only the top power spikes, I see 900+ W spikes on my Syncdrive Pro 2, that's nothing unusual, just smart marketing like in the 90s when speakers had that stickers on them in the shops 6000 Watts P. M. P. O., when in reality it was just about 100 Watts, this is probably the same.
Power = Torque x Cadence
There is a balance in this, you can't have all maxed out, something will suffer...also as seen it's a 36V system which is a downgrade imo, higer amps = heat = lower efficiency = high battery consumption.
Another question that arises is availability of service centers, and with that knowledgeable mechanical/electrical staff.
Well as always, let's have the beta guys test it out, and I don't mean the influencers, as those 1 or 2 day tests tell just a tiny bit of the story, long term tests are what is the real deal, but that takes time and doesn't bring money right ✌️

Oh, otherwise it looks like a beautiful crafted bike like all dji products with excellent Integration.

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
The numbers don't fit the EU law limits, unless DJI found a loophole...the 1000W peak power are probably only the top power spikes, I see 900+ W spikes on my Syncdrive Pro 2, that's nothing unusual, just smart marketing like in the 90s when speakers had that stickers on them in the shops 6000 Watts P. M. P. O., when in reality it was just about 100 Watts, this is probably the same.
Power = Torque x Cadence
There is a balance in this, you can't have all maxed out, something will suffer...also as seen it's a 36V system which is a downgrade imo, higer amps = heat = lower efficiency = high battery consumption.
Another question that arises is availability of service centers, and with that knowledgeable mechanical/electrical staff.
Well as always, let's have the beta guys test it out, and I don't mean the influencers, as those 1 or 2 day tests tell just a tiny bit of the story, long term tests are what is the real deal, but that takes time and doesn't bring money right ✌️

Oh, otherwise it looks like a beautiful crafted bike like all dji products with excellent Integration.
Yeah fair shout.
Here is the text from their website
> 3. 105 N·m is the sustainable torque output of the DJI Avinox Drive Unit. The DJI Avinox Drive Unit has a rated power of 250 W. So maybe half the sustained output of a Levo. Interestingly I suppose if it has a really good trail mode you might not notice the difference, and if its got the same size battery as a levo it might be very little trade off in practice.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Yeah fair shout.
Here is the text from their website
> 3. 105 N·m is the sustainable torque output of the DJI Avinox Drive Unit. The DJI Avinox Drive Unit has a rated power of 250 W. So maybe half the sustained output of a Levo. Interestingly I suppose if it has a really good trail mode you might not notice the difference, and if its got the same size battery as a levo it might be very little trade off in practice.
Watts can be measured in different ways, the 250W u mentioned is a power rating that has not much meaning for the consumer it's complicated to explain easily, but it's the legal limit at least in the EU, the power number that really has meaning is probably somewhere around 600W +/- as all the rest of the mid motors, just because it's theoretically impossible to keep a legal limit of 250W and go much over 600W nominal power, and as said the 1000W are just occasional peaks. In the snapshot you can see my cca 900 Watt spike on the Giant Syncdrive Pro 2.

Screenshot_20240502_003214_Connect.jpg

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
In the video with Rob he says 850 with boost up to 1000. 🤷‍♂️ guess time will tell. Regardless, to be in the same class as the Levo SL and ExE and have significantly better motor and battery is very cool

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA
With that much power, what is the max assistance %? If it's 400% like Shimano, you need to put in 250 watts to max out the motor.
In the video I watched by DC Rainmaker he quoted 400% assistance.
one thing they need to do is not put heavy anti tamper software on it so it can be derestricted easily. imagine a 45 pound 800 watt derestricted emtb with all that power. they cant release it to north america fast enough
I know this probably will not be a super popular sediment here but I find it crazy that we allow these companies to dictate how we use these bikes. In America going from a class 1 to 3 is just that 20mph to 28mph limit, but I've never heard of anyone getting any of these companies to supply the firmware to allow that change. Not to mention if I'm riding on my land, there's no need for the class 1 restriction in that case. IMO should be as simple as going into the app, and agreeing to some terms like the company is not to be held accountable for the rider's actions. Then allowing the user to set the restrictions that follow laws or none for private land use.

As for the wattage seems they only care about the rated wattage, I'm still waiting for the day be see one of these companies offer a super boost mode with some outrageously high power output for like 5 seconds. Everyone seems to be really hyped on the 1kw claimed peak but that isn't really much higher than current motors, and also highly depends on how they measure that wattage. Is it at the battery or at the motor? For example, Bosch claims their gen 4 cx peaks at 600w but independent testing from ebike-mtb found it was around 750w at the motor. Assume a 85% efficiency and that could be around 900w at the battery.

I'm glad they finally upping the charge rate of emtb batteries although agree surprised they stuck with the lower 36v pack. Crazy how low the current packs charge when the cells inside are easily rated for a 1 hour charge (1c charge rate). Newer cells are even around the 3c rate now with some even higher, although I have no clue what cells they are using. One other feature I was really hoping to see more of was USB C charging on the battery. Current standards allow up to 240w, would be really cool to use the same cable / charger I do for my phone, laptop, headphones etc for my bike battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles