Dji avinox

Gareth

Apr 20, 2024
Ayrshire
Bosch gives the most for the investment. it has enough power and is reliable.

The problem with the Bosch is, it can’t handle water, keep getting it wet and its only a matter of time, tends to be sooner than later. In terms of reliability, I'd describe it as crap.

Simple answer: Polini

IP55 – that’s a clear step in the right direction. IP55 should be the starting point for ebike motors. Should be more reliable than the Bosch just because it should be far better at keeping the water out.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
let DJI put the bike, motor on sale first. while they start it, train the service network, sales, support. in addition, Bosch, Shimano, Yamaha... make miracles out of engines. probably a bit better than Dji.

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
There is a lot to like about this. Personally I would have preferred they used the "tech" to go all out on lightweight. If they had restricted this to say 80Nm and 400Wh how light could they have got it? Energy density of the battery seems very good.
Not sure about the touch screen. Even with gloves that claim to work with touch screens (from TLD, FOX and 100%) I've never had a good experience operating my phone this way so I don't see the bike screen working very well.
I also have zero interest in controls on the right hand grip area. Ideal would have been zero handle bar controls and something like gesture control on the display in the TT (though I admit that precludes quick mode changes in the midst of tech problems).
Unfortunately I suspect that DJI will very much want to come in at the high end so not expecting this to be cheap or start any kind of price competition amongst the motor brands which is something I think we really need.
I believe in Rob’s video he shows changing the assist level with the button below the screen so should be able to go without handlebar controls. Also full fat bikes are where the bulk of the market is at so makes the most sense to start there in my opinion

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Yes the slotted disc is paired with an inductive pickup to give very high-resolution wheel speed information which could provide better hill-start and walk mode performance and perhaps even traction control options. These inductive wheels are used in every modern car engine and are inside most mid-drive e-bike motors for crank speed measurement. With 42 slots this system reads wheel travel in 55mm (2.1") increments.

It's possible they could misalign one of the slots to denote each full revolution but they probably don't need to. They're already advertising an easy switch to 27.5" wheels with a flip chip so they're surely confident that the system will detect any cheaters. Bosch already does tamper-detection by comparing pedal cadence to the factory programmed gear ratio range as well as using the phone app to tattle whenever possible. There's no reason DJI wouldn't use their headtube GPS to do the same.

View attachment 143388
What bike is that CX on? My circumference is set at 2211mm, though I would like the minimum 2100.

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
Why is there a cable housing going to the AXS rear derailleur?

xl.jpg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
In terms of full fat vs SL where does this fit @Rob Rides EMTB . The peak specs obviously are high but it’s hard to figure out if it’s on the same level as the bosh etc
I need to have a go on the final version, but from what I remember on the prototype bike I have, the low down grunt at low cadence, the motor is not quite the same as the Bosch Race, but when you get to a regular cadence it seems a ton faster / more powerful.

The Avinox likes higher RPM to unleash it.

I'd like to see this motor in a full enduro spec bike.

gbcoke

Aug 28, 2022
italy
I need to have a go on the final version, but from what I remember on the prototype bike I have, the low down grunt at low cadence, the motor is not quite the same as the Bosch Race, but when you get to a regular cadence it seems a ton faster / more powerful.

The Avinox likes higher RPM to unleash it.

I'd like to see this motor in a full enduro spec bike.
Hi Rob,
Do you have any indication about bikes coming with this system in my25 or only AMFLOW ?

gbcoke

Aug 28, 2022
italy
I find it a bit strange that they didnt already have a partner other than Amflow for the launch.
If they are only now starting to close partnerships than we will see bikes with the system in about 1.5-2 years .

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
These new motor brands deserve to succeed because frankly Shimano and Bosch lack innovation and are profiting heavily by trading on their brand. It's appalling that neither of them have released a gearbox design or worked on brining down the weight/bulk.

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Something occurred to me today while thinking about this motor. I am seriously planning to wait until a good enduro bike comes with it and get that bike. The Kenevo sl with the dji motor would be unbelievable. What occurred to me was I was I really don’t care about the weight all I want personally is a full power bike that doesn’t look like a tank and I hope this motor provides that

gbcoke

Aug 28, 2022
italy
Something occurred to me today while thinking about this motor. I am seriously planning to wait until a good enduro bike comes with it and get that bike. The Kenevo sl with the dji motor would be unbelievable. What occurred to me was I was I really don’t care about the weight all I want personally is a full power bike that doesn’t look like a tank and I hope this motor provides that
From all the information out there it seems we are at least 1-1.5 years away from bikes with this system (other than Amflow)

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
This would mean that if the battery goes flat one cannot change the gears, correct?
Not immediately.

The connector is covered by the reserved capacity for light. This will give you two hours of light after the motor turns off. The AXS consumes very little energy. So with lights on you can change gears for about two hours. With lights off probabaly multiple days.

Same as for bikes with an ABS system.

E_S_Blofeld

Sep 1, 2020
Surrey Hills.
@Rob Rides EMTB

Any news on your bike from Amflow that mentioned above was due in August? Also do you know if Amflow will launch in Q4 this year? Do they have UK distribution / service finalised? Any information you can share would be great.

I’m looking to change my bike and really like the look of this light weight full power bike from Amflow.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Of course, I like the idea of the DJI but a couple of things:

1) many of us prefer to stick to a few brands for various reasons. Geometry, local discount or support, even looks or ethos, etc. So, buying a brand of bike I've never heard of for nearly 5 figures, is not something I would personally do regardless of 'claimed' motor specs. But also, it's unlikely that they would have what I want in my bikes as I'm very particular and know what I like after about 9 years of MTBing. The motor/ battery is indeed important, but the 'bike' is still the most critical component.
2) No one is standing still. Do you think that Fazua et al aren't working very hard right now on improving their weight vs. power ratios while also reducing warranty claims? A LOT of e-bike development can happen in the 2-3 years before something like this is actually for sale, in your home country, in a build spec and price that you desire. I can't predict the future but it's no prediction at all to say that everyone will have improved products available when the DJI bike is actually available.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
New bosch cx is very close in weight as well as their new batteries. Im thinking id prefer the lower cadence grunt of the bosch as well. If bosch solve the clacking and seals tgey should both be great competition with each other. Dji v gen 5 cx race is the head to head battle i want to try/see

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I
I can't predict the future but it's no prediction at all to say that everyone will have improved products available when the DJI bike is actually available.
The Amflow is in-store in the UK...

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Can you say where?

I can see it for pre order/special order at Escape Bike Shop

Sprockets have a page, but it's unpopulated atm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles