DH World Cup thread

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Anyone been to watch at Les Ges downhill in previous years or planning to go this year? Got my long service leave ok'd for 2025 and planning to try and go there to spectate and soak in all that French atmosphere. Probably be in a campervan so any ideas about free camping around there too would be a bonus. Looking forward to Val Di Sol next weekend and Les Ges after that too.

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
That's excellent news and stoked you have told me that they are on the Saturday nights live as the Sunday night thing sucks with having work easrly the next day. I then have to try not to look at the results on youtube at morning tea and lunchtime so me and the Mrs can watch the replay on a Monday night after dinner.
I fail miserably most of the time but don't tell 'the boss' at home that I've watched them or the results as we watch it in full later on :ROFLMAO:

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
I spent a week in Morzine in 2014 , just to ride , no races going on and it was still an unforgettable week!
I'd suggest if you plan on hiring a bike and doing some riding (you're insane if you don't!) make sure that the rental is booked , paid for and guaranteed before you get there. I got F'ed over by the bike shop at the base of the super Morzine lift , rolled up on day 1 of my holiday , they denied any knowledge of my booking despite showing them all the emails from them regarding the booking.

So there I was , kitted up , frothing to ride and no wheels. :mad: Seemed every shop was booked out because it was Passport Du Soleil weekend so I was looking pretty screwed. Eventually I found a shop that had a DH bike to rent. The guys in there were super nice too , a total contrast to LeAssholes in the first shop.
Seems not all of the locals are not as accommodating to foreigners , it was suggested they probably thought I was English which didn't help :LOL:

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
We watched the Worlds at Les Gets last year, it was honestly amazing !!!! The boy had broken a bone 2 weeks before we were due to go riding there, so we changed the trip to going to view the Worlds... The scenes, well, they were just bonkers, daytimes were epic, nights were epic, just amazing...
We're off this year as he's racing the European Champs, Champery, then we've got 10 riding days around Morzine/Chatel/etc.. Can't wait.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Anyone been to watch at Les Ges downhill in previous years or planning to go this year? Got my long service leave ok'd for 2025 and planning to try and go there to spectate and soak in all that French atmosphere. Probably be in a campervan so any ideas about free camping around there too would be a bonus. Looking forward to Val Di Sol next weekend and Les Ges after that too.
Not been to Les Gets for the dh but I used to do ski seasons in the alps. My view, you'll love it. Beautiful surroundings, good food & drink, everything is really expensive & the locals are doing you a favour taking your money! You'll have a ball.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Im not finding any coverage of the E edr from leogang. UCI instagram posted mens/womens winners then later posted top 3 but ive yet to see a complete resilults let alone top five or any video apart from a very short power stage clip.
I guess any reporter questions directed at the uci would come from vital or pb and they dont seem interested in posting any results or vids so i cant see them questioning the uci about the serious lack of coverage for e-edr. I feel bad for tge riders . I wonder what they think about it?

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
Not been to Les Gets for the dh but I used to do ski seasons in the alps. My view, you'll love it. Beautiful surroundings, good food & drink, everything is really expensive & the locals are doing you a favour taking your money! You'll have a ball.
Thanks for the replies fellas...
Yeah figured you would be reamed for food and drink let alone accomodation anywhere where there is skiing in the winter, riding in the summer plus the lifts as well. Worked in a restaurant halfway up a mountain in St Johhan in Tirol Austria back in the 80's and know how they can charge. Plan to stock up with food and alcohol in a major town before we get there in the camper and hopefully find a forest/bush type area not too far away to park up in for the weekend plus a bit more before or after for some riding of our own.

Weeksy says "The scenes, well, they were just bonkers, daytimes were epic, nights were epic, just amazing..."

This is why we want to do Les Gets as it seems the best atmosphere there and if the Frenchies win, well look out, and that is on the cards with their depth of talent at the moment.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Predictions, gang? As usual, I get it wrong every tiime but I note VDS continues to be Loic's least favourite track & I would love to see Jess Blewitt translate her quali & semis form to a podium.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Yeah I'd love to see Jess back up her performance with a win . Equally , I'd like to see Miriam back in P1 !

Finn is the danger man tonight. He's on such good form , super hungry for a win , and I feel like he's been very conservative with his riding so far this weekend.
Dakota is my wild card. It will be a win it or bin it run from him.
Please don't rain !

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Dakota Norton denies he's riding a secret prototype this weekend.

images.jpg

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
12+ seconds to 10th place.....has to be some sort of record for the men's pro class?
Its up there. Certainly the biggest spread this season anyway.
Kovarik winning at Ft William in 2002 by 14 seconds to 2nd place will be hard to beat. The spread to 10th place there would have been pretty big I'd imagine.

Searching for any easily available stats , I came across this article:

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
Amaury's run was epic and will go down as a historic win with that time back to 2nd, I do feel a little sorry for Dakotah as his run was also epic, (go the Chopper handlebars) just not quite as on the edge as the winning run and he said as much in an interview with Wyn afterwards.
Also really feel for Jess tho her time will come I feel and what about the 3 Kiwi girls in the juniors and Eliana's winning time being quicker than the winning elite women, WOW! It was great to see Tahnee back on the to step too. Bring on Les Gets

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Its up there. Certainly the biggest spread this season anyway.
Kovarik winning at Ft William in 2002 by 14 seconds to 2nd place will be hard to beat. The spread to 10th place there would have been pretty big I'd imagine.

Searching for any easily available stats , I came across this article:
Interesting that the same topic came up on Vital.
Despite Kovarik absolutely hosing everyone , the spread from 2nd to 8th is very close to Val Di Sole last weekend. And Rennie and Gracia posted the same time!
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 18-29-27 2024 Racing Talk - The Hub - Mountain Biking Forums _ Messag...png

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Cathro made a decent point - the wide spread you often see in juniors & women is borne of having fewer competitors per race. Seems obvious now I think about it but doesn't detract from Amuary's stonking charge down the mountain.

TheSnowShark

Subscriber
Sep 7, 2023
French-Alpes
The weather conditions are catastrophic here, thunderstorms are still expected and the descent trail is really dangerous.

The ladies DH is direct live on Eurosport 2 for us in France

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles