JoRo

Jan 30, 2021
Finale Ligure
This things Is the direct rival of the heckler sl
Devinci24_ETroyLite-1~2.jpg

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Had a quick parking lot test ride on one of these yesterday. Very nice bike- dialed geometry. I appreciate SLs with enduro geometry, never understood the logic behind manufacturers leaning towards steeper trail geometry for SLs and slacker for the full-powers.

The mid-tier parts spec is an awesome value, and the weights are competitive with carbon bikes that costs thousands more but have smaller batteries & weaker motors. Nice that the remote is bluetooth (no cable) and the modes can also be changed from the top tube display. The bike felt lighter than it's weight- easy to manual and hop, and no drag with the motor turned off (less than our current TQ & brose motors)

bcmtb

Nov 1, 2021
WA
Had a quick parking lot test ride on one of these yesterday. Very nice bike- dialed geometry. I appreciate SLs with enduro geometry, never understood the logic behind manufacturers leaning towards steeper trail geometry for SLs and slacker for the full-powers.

The mid-tier parts spec is an awesome value, and the weights are competitive with carbon bikes that costs thousands more but have smaller batteries & weaker motors. Nice that the remote is bluetooth (no cable) and the modes can also be changed from the top tube display. The bike felt lighter than it's weight- easy to manual and hop, and no drag with the motor turned off (less than our current TQ & brose motors)
Cool! Can I ask what shop you went to? I am interested in checking it out.

e-rico

Jun 23, 2023
Vancouver
I got mine last week. The geo is perfect for my riding here in BC and is a blast to ride. I'm still figuring out the drive system and range but so far it has been a ton of fun. My medium weighs 41.4lbs without pedals so it's even less than the advertised weight.

Climbing has been pretty good. The motor does get pretty loud in comparison to others. As expected, descending is where the eTroy shines. It is super fast, corners quickly and plows though rough terrain like an enduro bike should. The Split Pivot design is fantastic.

I do have a some gripes though:
  • the water bottle mount is super high and barely fits my bottle (I have to find a cage with different mount locations or an adapter). I assume this is for the range extender but they should have added additional mounting points.
  • the welds are a bit sloppy/blobby (I've looked at lots of other aluminum frames and this one is pretty poor)
Previous to this I've been riding the Pivot Shuttle SL for the past 10 months. That bike is incredible but doesn't have enough travel for me and the Fazua system doesn't have the best reputation (although my experience was good).

It's still early days but I am very happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I got mine last week.

It appears we may have one in our garage soon ;)

Looking at some of the photos, looks to me like the WB placement is forward to clear shock resevoirs....

I am curious about the seat tube/seatpost scenario. For my GF, it looks like the 175mm post on a M frame will work for her. Can't say for sure yet as the M she test-rode had a 150 post & different brand too.

I'm typically between a M and L, and liked how the M fit. The L Troy felt bigger than my L Trek Fuel EXE despite the reach being a hair shorter I think. Will be interesting to see how these bikes compare.

Funken

Jun 21, 2024
CO
It appears we may have one in our garage soon ;)

Looking at some of the photos, looks to me like the WB placement is forward to clear shock resevoirs....

I am curious about the seat tube/seatpost scenario. For my GF, it looks like the 175mm post on a M frame will work for her. Can't say for sure yet as the M she test-rode had a 150 post & different brand too.

I'm typically between a M and L, and liked how the M fit. The L Troy felt bigger than my L Trek Fuel EXE despite the reach being a hair shorter I think. Will be interesting to see how these bikes compare.

Any new feedback since last weekend? I'm ready to pull the trigger on one.

Funken

Jun 21, 2024
CO
I got mine last week. The geo is perfect for my riding here in BC and is a blast to ride. I'm still figuring out the drive system and range but so far it has been a ton of fun. My medium weighs 41.4lbs without pedals so it's even less than the advertised weight.

Climbing has been pretty good. The motor does get pretty loud in comparison to others. As expected, descending is where the eTroy shines. It is super fast, corners quickly and plows though rough terrain like an enduro bike should. The Split Pivot design is fantastic.

I do have a some gripes though:
  • the water bottle mount is super high and barely fits my bottle (I have to find a cage with different mount locations or an adapter). I assume this is for the range extender but they should have added additional mounting points.
  • the welds are a bit sloppy/blobby (I've looked at lots of other aluminum frames and this one is pretty poor)
Previous to this I've been riding the Pivot Shuttle SL for the past 10 months. That bike is incredible but doesn't have enough travel for me and the Fazua system doesn't have the best reputation (although my experience was good).

Sorry, my last post was meant for you.

Any new feedback since last weekend? I'm ready to pull the trigger on one.

e-rico

Jun 23, 2023
Vancouver
I've had a few more rides and I'm still very happy with the eTroy. I would recommend it if you are in the market for an SL. It is a very responsive and fast handling bike for this amount of travel. The slack head angle makes steering a little floppy at slow speeds but it's not noticeable at speed. Climbing is comfortable and power assist is better at slower cadences (70-80 rpm) than I expected. Max power is only achieved at 110rpm so don't count on unleashing that for more than a short burst.

My only reservation is battery range. I've ridden in Turbo, eMTB and Tour+ modes and go through about half the battery in 12km regardless of setting. The amount of support is noticeably different between modes so I'm not sure why battery usage is so similar. I would say Tour+ is great if you ride with analog riders but not sure Turbo will have enough range to hang long enough with full power emtbs (you will want to get a range extender and you will work allot harder). It feels like a similar range to the Giant Trance X E Elite that I've ridden several times but that also has a full power motor.

I think this is a great bike if your rides are less than 2 hours (more if you're willing to sweat a bit more). If you want more range, then plan on the range extender and you'll be set. IMO this is the best value SL bike for this travel, geo and spec. I say go for it.

Funken

Jun 21, 2024
CO
I've had a few more rides and I'm still very happy with the eTroy. I would recommend it if you are in the market for an SL. It is a very responsive and fast handling bike for this amount of travel. The slack head angle makes steering a little floppy at slow speeds but it's not noticeable at speed. Climbing is comfortable and power assist is better at slower cadences (70-80 rpm) than I expected. Max power is only achieved at 110rpm so don't count on unleashing that for more than a short burst.

My only reservation is battery range. I've ridden in Turbo, eMTB and Tour+ modes and go through about half the battery in 12km regardless of setting. The amount of support is noticeably different between modes so I'm not sure why battery usage is so similar. I would say Tour+ is great if you ride with analog riders but not sure Turbo will have enough range to hang long enough with full power emtbs (you will want to get a range extender and you will work allot harder). It feels like a similar range to the Giant Trance X E Elite that I've ridden several times but that also has a full power motor.

I think this is a great bike if your rides are less than 2 hours (more if you're willing to sweat a bit more). If you want more range, then plan on the range extender and you'll be set. IMO this is the best value SL bike for this travel, geo and spec. I say go for it.

Thanks. I ordered one and will report back in a couple of weeks. Looks like it could be a couple months until I can get an extender. They are backordered everywhere.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Agreed. I'm real curious to see how it compares to my TQ Trek Fuel. I expect it should have more range, since it has a larger battery and a more powerful motor.

How would you compare the range to the Fazua/Pivot you had?

I ride a bit with a friends who have Fazua motors- Hecklers and relays - definitely a bit more range/power than the TQ but not quite as reliable, quiet & natural feeling, seems kind of a wash.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Quick follow-up. My GF picked up a M e-Troy Lite, she ended up with the Lilac color, but the mid-tier GX mechanical build which is pretty sweet!

I've ridden it just a bit, enough I have some initial impressions compared to my beefed-up Fuel EX-e with the TQ motor.

Bike weights seem comparable, though mine has a carbon frame, coil rear shock & carbon wheels, DD rear tire.

Range-wise, riding the same pace she's finishing rides with around 10% more battery than I do, though she weighs 40lbs less and she's using a little more assist. It's close to a wash but I'd say her bike should have more range under the same rider.

Power wise, the middle two assist modes on the Bosh motor are definitely more "reactive" compared to trail mode with the TQ motor. With the Bosch you can just pedal harder or increase cadence to get more power, where I might bump up a mode on the TQ in those scenarios. She pulled away from me a few times on climbs when she picked up her cadence.

Some reviews of the Bosch mention a rattle, but we haven't heard anything like that. Otherwise it's louder than the TQ but quieter than her previous brose/specialized Turbo Levo.

The TQ display is loads better. Bosch display gets the job done, but colors and bars vs. battery % means looking at your phone to really understand range.

The e-Troy's suspension feels great with the stock Fox Float-X. Very supple but not too linear. The Trek is more "supportive" / XC-feeling, even with a coil. The M devinci feels somewhere between Treks M & L. I love the geometry. She's 172cm and the 175mm dropper post is no problem.

Overall, I really like my Fuel EX-e, but I've made a lot of changes to make it less of a trail / more of an enduro bike, whereas the Devinci is dialed out of the box.

bcmtb

Nov 1, 2021
WA
Quick follow-up. My GF picked up a M e-Troy Lite, she ended up with the Lilac color, but the mid-tier GX mechanical build which is pretty sweet!

I've ridden it just a bit, enough I have some initial impressions compared to my beefed-up Fuel EX-e with the TQ motor.

Bike weights seem comparable, though mine has a carbon frame, coil rear shock & carbon wheels, DD rear tire.

Range-wise, riding the same pace she's finishing rides with around 10% more battery than I do, though she weighs 40lbs less and she's using a little more assist. It's close to a wash but I'd say her bike should have more range under the same rider.

Power wise, the middle two assist modes on the Bosh motor are definitely more "reactive" compared to trail mode with the TQ motor. With the Bosch you can just pedal harder or increase cadence to get more power, where I might bump up a mode on the TQ in those scenarios. She pulled away from me a few times on climbs when she picked up her cadence.

Some reviews of the Bosch mention a rattle, but we haven't heard anything like that. Otherwise it's louder than the TQ but quieter than her previous brose/specialized Turbo Levo.

The TQ display is loads better. Bosch display gets the job done, but colors and bars vs. battery % means looking at your phone to really understand range.

The e-Troy's suspension feels great with the stock Fox Float-X. Very supple but not too linear. The Trek is more "supportive" / XC-feeling, even with a coil. The M devinci feels somewhere between Treks M & L. I love the geometry. She's 172cm and the 175mm dropper post is no problem.

Overall, I really like my Fuel EX-e, but I've made a lot of changes to make it less of a trail / more of an enduro bike, whereas the Devinci is dialed out of the box.
That's funny, I saw the exact bike! I went to the shop to talk with them about the e-troy lite and the Fluid VLT, and they showed me that Lilac coloured bike with the part swap (on the floor waiting for pickup).

Rad bike, and thanks for the impressions.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Been looking for a while at bikes with the Bosch SX system to compliment my Rail 9.8 XT. Walked into a local bike shop this week and got to talking about the E Troy Lite. He said they're basically sold out but . . . . . he has an NX medium build coming in next week. More talking led to more " What would you change component wise" questions. Long story short, I'll be picking up a heavily modified NX with GX drivertrain, Code Stealth Silver brakes, Santa Cruz Reserve HD alloy wheels and Charger 2.1 damper in a Yari fork.

e-rico

Jun 23, 2023
Vancouver
Agreed. I'm real curious to see how it compares to my TQ Trek Fuel. I expect it should have more range, since it has a larger battery and a more powerful motor.

How would you compare the range to the Fazua/Pivot you had?

I ride a bit with a friends who have Fazua motors- Hecklers and relays - definitely a bit more range/power than the TQ but not quite as reliable, quiet & natural feeling, seems kind of a wash.
I would say that the Fazua feels a little more “natural” the power input of the Bosh is more noticeable when it comes on. It’s also quieter than the Bosch. Range is about the same. I just worry about reliability. I had an issue with mine and a couple other friends have had replacements with very low mileage. No system is bulletproof but Fazua still seems to be more problematic with my riding group.

I’ve ridden about 250km and this eTroy is fantastic. Just did a Dark Crystal and Hey Bud lap in Whistler today and this bike was a blast. My only issue has been the stupid rubber cover for the charging port. It’s already detached and I can’t get the little attachment flap to stay on. They need an improvement for this bike. The other brands with SX systems have better designed covers.

Last edited:

fredmotokx

Jul 13, 2024
Canada
I bought my E-Troy Lite about a month ago and already have over 200 km on it. I got the GX transmission build, and my first upgrade before trying the Magura was to swap them out with Hayes dominion A4, because I did not trust the stock Magura MT5. I also replaced the front tire with an Assegai Maxgrip Exo+ and the rear with a DHR Maxterra DD casing.

This is my first Ebike, and I am the first person in my group of friends to own one. I was always the last on the climb and felt like I slowed down the group; I was not enjoying the climb at all previously. This bike made me want to ride again, it is fun to climb and even more fun to descend. The bike handles perfectly, and I can not feel the weight difference as I go down.
Previously, with my regular bike, I was always tired after about 300-400 meters of climbing; now, with the E-Troy Lite, I can do the double without feeling toasted at the end of the ride.

On E-mtb mode (purple), I can climb about 800 meters vertically and around 1000 meters on E-tour mode. The turbo mode uses a lot of battery power and can climb approximately 650 meters vertically. All of these numbers range from full charge to almost 0%.

I will not comment on the Bosch SX motor because I have not ridden any other e-bikes.
I have two minor complaints about the component: the GX Transmission shifts slower than my mechanical Shimano XT groupset, and the Lyric Ultimate feels harsh and not stiff enough as I was used to on my Fox 38. I am thinking about getting the new Red Zeb ultimate with the Charger 3.1 damper, which is supposed to solve all of my issues.

In addition, my chainring was loose, so I tightened it with an 8-notch bottom bracket tool, and Devinci advised me to torque the two main motor bolts to 30 nm with a Torx 40 socket.

I have only positive things to say about Devinci's aftersales service; they always respond quickly to my inquiries.

If you have any further questions, please ask, as I am sure I forgot to include many details.

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
I am considering this bike nx version as I have parts to put on it, heckler sl and relay sl. Anyone ride heckler sl and e troy lite to compare?

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
The poor reliability of the Fazua 60 was enough to make me want only a Bosch SX.
I also like the e troy is aluminum as I am not a fan of carbon. Seems like this might be a good fit for me. I am 175 lbs and ride usually about 25-30 miles and 3.5k elevation on typical ride you think I can get enough range without the range extender?

fredmotokx

Jul 13, 2024
Canada
I also like the e troy is aluminum as I am not a fan of carbon. Seems like this might be a good fit for me. I am 175 lbs and ride usually about 25-30 miles and 3.5k elevation on typical ride you think I can get enough range without the range extender?
3.5K feet of elevation on any lightweight bike would be extremely difficult without using low assistance mode.
On a fully charged battery, my best performance with the Bosch SX was approximately 850 meters (2800 feet) to 7% battery in Tour+ mode. I spent most of the ride following non-emtb friends.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
3.5K feet of elevation on any lightweight bike would be extremely difficult without using low assistance mode.
I get 3500' out of my TQ/Trek EXE pretty regularly. Usually in less than 15 miles, mostly trail mode, eco on flats.
I'm 180lbs and the bike has a zeb, coil shock, DD rear tire etc.
I have also noticed that trail conditions make a huge difference. I've gotten 3800' on hardpack dry conditions, had 10% left at the end. But struggled to get 3000' in winter slop.

e-rico

Jun 23, 2023
Vancouver
It would depend on what assist level you want to use. I weigh the same as you and recently did 3000’ and 11 miles in Eco and still had half the battery left. However I was riding with an analog rider so he set the pace. If you want to use a higher level of assist then you would definitely need the extender.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Just today i see Sams range test on a cx race with a 750w battery gove him 5000ft in turbo. I wouldve thought the sx with a 400w battery would give almost 5000ft considering the weight , tourque and watt output differences
Supposedly the next cx motor will be the same size, shape and bolt pattern as the sx. I thought there might be a chance future e lite's could fit a cx and maybe even bigger batteries in the near future

fredmotokx

Jul 13, 2024
Canada
I get 3500' out of my TQ/Trek EXE pretty regularly. Usually in less than 15 miles, mostly trail mode, eco on flats.
I'm 180lbs and the bike has a zeb, coil shock, DD rear tire etc.
I have also noticed that trail conditions make a huge difference. I've gotten 3800' on hardpack dry conditions, had 10% left at the end. But struggled to get 3000' in winter slop.
Impressive for the TQ, I do not get anywhere near that number in trail mode. I saw some tests where the TQ had a longer range than the Bosch SX.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
The poor reliability of the Fazua 60 was enough to make me want only a Bosch SX.
I experienced the reliability issues first hand. Had a Pivot Shuttle SL. The Pivot part was absolutely awesme, the Fazua part not so much. The bike was down with motor and electronics issues for roughly 70% of the time I owned it. Others have had no issues with their systems, which is great. Anxiously awaiting my "modified" E Troy Lite!

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
First shakedown ride for the E Troy Lite today. I weigh 165 kitted up. Did 15 miles with 2100 feet of elevation gain. Using mainly tour (changed from tour+) and EMTB, some turbo. Ended up with 30% battery left.
Things I like: The handling is superb, especially for a first ride. I did upgrade the Yari with a Charger 2.1 but the rear is just a Deluxe Select. I suspect the Santa Cruz Reserve alloy wheelset had something to do with it as well. Was a surprisingly plush ride. Very quick to react to input without being twitchy.
Things I dislike: Mainly, I need to get my head wrapped around the fact it's just going to take longer to climb with a higher cadence and at a lower speed. I've got a full fat Rail for days I need to set my hair on fire or roll with other full fats. Somewhat more concerning is the motor is VERY noisy when under load. Maybe it's normal for the SX but it's definitely more noticeable than the several other Bosch full power systems I've had over the years.

e-rico

Jun 23, 2023
Vancouver
I’ve made a few changes to my initial GX build. I put on a 50th Anniversary Fox 36 Factory with the Grip-X damper and a DHX with 500lb spring and the bike is way more planted and plush. The previous fork with Grip2 was excellent but I never got the FloatX where I wanted it. I generally prefer the linear nature of coil and the change has not been a disappointment. The only downsides are it’s not as lively/poppy and it’s a little heavier. Still worth the trade off IMO.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles