Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Stiggy

Aug 9, 2020
Bolton UK
Hi All
I’ve been in the market for a pair of stilus (still??) since May and like a lot on here have never managed to bag one. Given there is no way to order online anymore I thought I’d take a trip down to the local store today. The bad news is folks (according to the guys in the store at least) that there is no stock due until at least 3rd week August and that its minimal quantities going into the French warehouse so serving all of Europe. There is no way to pre-order or register your interest so basicalaly its a bun fight between all the regions and stores to determine who gets stock to fulfil the pent up demand! Seeing as this is a Stilus thread for Stilus people and apparently most of us can’t be one without the golden ticket just a thought but it would help to ease the frustration somewhat if we created a new thread for the folks who want one but now have to try and work out the best alternative that is actually available to buy?

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Or just keep asking here, only one person made the comment which is out of context with the tone of the whole thread.

I have been following this thread for ages and i have no intention of buying one as i already have 3 Ebikes and live in Australia. The thread is full of people supporting each other and going through highs and lows in the middle of a pandemic, to see the frustration and then delight makes me feel part of it.

Its valid to know what other choices there are as some people will ultimately miss out (blame robs review :) )

There is more help and support on this thread than any other on this forum, and even if Gary is blunt he is mostly always right.

Last edited:

L1482

Aug 9, 2020
Sunderland
It was possibly me with the photos on the bike (if you mean the drawn on lines etc). 32 inside leg as shown and XL is perfect.
Ride for years and using it for heart rehab at mo but still doing stuff I shouldn't on it. I can easily drop off the back on tricky downs and feel well planted on steep climbs. Single-track is a blast and feels solid and predictable with a nice flow to the feel of the bike. Knee clearance has not been an issue in any situation so far.
Have stuck with standard width bars and original tyres at mo (just done tubeless). Only changed the seat, pedals and grips-pretty normal for any new purchase as these are your familiar contact points from the last.
For me it's a perfect bike in a lot of ways. Hope you get the same buzz as we all do when riding it.

Ah yes, I remember seeing your username, now. Sorry for the mix up, mate.
You have had a rough time of it, so it's good that this bike is getting you out and about in a unique way. :cool:

Thanks for the info, and if I do manage to get one, I will be reporting back, on here and offering what insight I can, to others wanting to purchase.

L1482

Aug 9, 2020
Sunderland
Any chance anyone with a large frame can measure the reach? That would be a great figure to have!
Rob said the XL comes in at 465mm. I'd be very interested to know what the L is.

Rexer

Jul 23, 2020
Belgium
Yup, posted about this a few weeks ago. Easy fix. As you go to remove the plug, tilt ithe back end downwards (the bit the cable comes out of) and then remove. It seems the plastic wavey bit on the male connection sticks.
I know it shouldn't happen but this solves it and I do it without thinking now, never comes out. Give it a whirl and let me know.
Thank you. I will try this next time.

GunplaMad

Aug 1, 2020
Glasgow
About a week in to owning a Stilus and just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for all the very good advice on this forum, I couldn’t be happier with it.

I’m not sure who originally coined the phrase “The Demented Mountain Goat” but that’s exactly what it is, I’m yet to find an incline that this thing doesn’t absolutely fly up. The Bosch motor is an absolute behemoth, the power is immense, point it at a mountain, put it in TURBO and hang on until you reach the top.

I was considering doing a long winded one week review post but there’s nothing to add to what people with far more knowledge than me haven’t already said.

My only advice would be to be patient and to beg, steal and borrow to get your greasy mitts on one, easy for me to say I know.

Going to get the software update done this week but God only knows how they’ve made the motor even better.

I also spend far too much time taking photos of it, the paintwork really looks sensational in the sunshine.

Special mentions to @Rob H (original YouTube review), @TheBikePilot (Mullet review update), @Johnny rider (General enthusiasm and upgrade advice), @Gary (Mudguard suggestion, excellent knowledge and general grumpiness), @PhilBaker (Full in depth review and Baby Mullet inventor, ©️Phil Baker) and big shout out to the rest of the fellow owners for all the advice.

View attachment 37594

View attachment 37595

View attachment 37596

View attachment 37597
Can you link me where you got those mud guards.

Glad you're happy with it. I'm waiting on my Scottish Government Grant to get approved this week hopefully in time to whip one up my self ???

Stiggy

Aug 9, 2020
Bolton UK
Hi All, first wanted to say what a really supportive and useful forum/thread!
I am one of many that are trying without success to buy the Decathlon Stilus since as others have said on here seems a really good specification for the money. Simple question is are there any alternatives at similar or more money. Budget around £3k to £3.5K max, buying two, both riders 5'7" ish and 70/80Kg. Main use trails and XC, some downhill tracks but neither are aggressive or skilled bikers. Bit of road riding to get there. One rider coming from a serviceable but aged Trek Liquid 25. Ideally looking at Bosch or Yamaha motors from a reliability and support point of view. Any suggestions for something that can actually be bought gratefully received as want to get on a bike before winter sets in!

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
The biggest fear for me being new to these bikes was battery life and so these rides give me a benchmark for next planned ones. So just thought I'd post a bit on battery life and miles (I know there are so many variables but this may help a newbie to emtbs to get some perspective). I am 100kg plus bike.
Decided to go for a 30 mile round trip down the old canal route in our area (still about 1400 ft of climbing involved on way home). Took it easy in eco and tour for 95% as my missus was on her leg powered steed. Our for 5 hours, chilled lunch break and then moving for 4 hours in total.
Battery stayed at 5 bars for 20 mile, then went to 3 bars at 28 mile (this last past is where the climbing was-it is Wales even if there's canals!). I had 30 mile left on the range in eco at the finish.
This was with the new 85Nm upgrade and I am a happy bunny.
Like I said, just a nice easy ride (for once) and just an idea as to the distances possible without effort or worry for a day's/mornings riding. I was also happy with a ride last week which was climbing around a mountain for 3 hours-still good.
These bikes will do anything you pretty much ask of them for the majority of riders who are
looking at this forum I believe.
By mile 28 my missus was talking about getting one! Believe me, that is saying something coming from a staunch marathon runner/cyclist and fitness freak-she'll only be 104 years old by the time they come back in stock too ?.

IMG_20200810_120918.jpg

GunplaMad

Aug 1, 2020
Glasgow
IMG_20200810_174835.jpg

So the stock situation is a mystery to Decathlon itself...

So it's coming into stock in France on 21st August but no information on UK allocation?

I remember someone saying 240 coming into stock last week... I'm guessing that stock level is for Europe as a whole I bet.

You'd sell 240 in the UK alone...

The Golden Ticket is still a little bit further then we thought for us in the UK.

?

Stiggy

Aug 9, 2020
Bolton UK
I was also told just yesterday by the store that there aren't any coming into stock until the 21st at the earliest and as stated above these are for the whole of Europe.

GunplaMad

Aug 1, 2020
Glasgow
Can I ask if anyone has purchased a Speedbox Tuner?

I think it would be handy to have the Speedbox 3.0 with Bluetooth to change the setting to suit.

Filenotfound

Aug 7, 2020
UK
I guess a lot of people are in the same boat - Nearly pulled the trigger on a cube 160 SL yesterday - there was 2 left in stock at £3789 on bike.co.uk but stock has gone now and 1. its really over my budget and 2. all retailers seem to want £3999 for it . :(

I guess we are still in the EU , has anyone tried to buy it from Decathalon.fr ?

scjgreen

Aug 5, 2020
Exeter
I guess a lot of people are in the same boat - Nearly pulled the trigger on a cube 160 SL yesterday - there was 2 left in stock at £3789 on bike.co.uk but stock has gone now and 1. its really over my budget and 2. all retailers seem to want £3999 for it . :(

I guess we are still in the EU , has anyone tried to buy it from Decathalon.fr ?

Only available from Stores in France

Stiggy

Aug 9, 2020
Bolton UK
Or just keep asking here, only one person made the comment which is out of context with the tone of the whole thread.

I have been following this thread for ages and i have no intention of buying one as i already have 3 Ebikes and live in Australia. The thread is full of people supporting each other and going through highs and lows in the middle of a pandemic, to see the frustration and then delight makes me feel part of it.

Its valid to know what other choices there are as some people will ultimately miss out (blame robs review :) )

There is more help and support on this thread than any other on this forum, and even if Gary is blunt he is mostly always right.
Thanks, I do blame Rob ?since I guess most of us on here had already done our research and were happy to take a punt with just a singular Italian review to rely on (and I only speak Boltonese) and now he’s only gone and confirmed our suspicions. To top it all off he’s flippin bought one as well, a stamp of approval indeed??

Last edited:

Stiggy

Aug 9, 2020
Bolton UK
Hi folks apologies but could really do with some help on sizing as I bought my last bike off a mate and it just happened to fit. Its a Trek liquid 25 and I think an 18 inch frame, runs on 26”s, centre of the crank to the top of the seat tube is 450mm, chainstay is 435, seat post is 120, centre of seat (post) to centre of bars is 700 including a long 140 stem and the bars are 630, Centre of crank to centre of front wheel is 590. I am 170cm or 5’7”, 30” leg and about 75Kg. Looking at the stilus dimensions a medium should suit but everyone says they “come up small”. Advice appreciated thanks!

GunplaMad

Aug 1, 2020
Glasgow
So I have decided to stay optimistic about getting one of these bad boys.

Finally told the wife I was buying this and she was all good about it as I have been trying my best to lose weight and cycle to work but the help of a motor to tackle hills after a night shift will help even if I'm already tried.

I had bought an Segway ES4 electric scooter to get to and from places but there is no health in it and also extremely dangerous in the wet conditions and required way to much focus on surface conditions.

I have been using my Voodoo Bizango in the wet nights home and have used it on trails but I have always wanted a full suspension Mountain Bike since I was young.

So once I get hold of one of these bad boys say goodbye to the cars as I don't need it to get to work no more and there is no hope in hell I'm paying for parking in Glasgow City Council.

Its time to get healthier and greener then a Irish Man can :ROFLMAO:

So fingers crossed for all who are panning out for the Golden Ticket...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So my understanding about the stock is that it’s going into a pool for all of Europe - I think that if you are quick though and have subscribed to email notifications you should be good.

even a few days after I made the video they had around 100 come into stock and they lasted about 24 hours.

GunplaMad

Aug 1, 2020
Glasgow
So my understanding about the stock is that it’s going into a pool for all of Europe - I think that if you are quick though and have subscribed to email notifications you should be good.

even a few days after I made the video they had around 100 come into stock and they lasted about 24 hours.

I'm just hoping I get my grant from Transport Scotland completed in time for the stock...

I had to resend a quote from Decathlon as the staff had put the maximum output of the motor to 600Watts as show on the website.

Had to get a manger to create a new quote with the legal 250Watts output for it to be excepted for the Scottish Government Grant.

So if anyone is looking to do the grant please keep this in mind.

Here is all the links and information for anyone in Scotland looking to do it this way other then the Cycle to Work, as not all employers will give you the amount or more then 1 year to pay it back...

You can loan an interest free grant up to £3000 for 4 Years...

This is a government option so you may not of heard about it as it can't be advertised.

You also need to call this number 0808 808 2282 and select your region in Scotland when asked on the phone.

You can leave a message if no answer but it will be a 5 days call back.

I rang a few times the same day and spoke to someone and they will get some info off you and send a email to apply for the grant.

If you get a quote and I will say customer service from Decathlon online was a waste of time! You will need to go to a store and best ask for a store manager to help you get one.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So a loan rather than a grant?
Why would you want to do this instead of a bike to work scheme where you'd save money? (£750 saving on a £3k bike over 4 years)
Or have I missed something glaringly obvious?

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
About a week in to owning a Stilus and just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for all the very good advice on this forum, I couldn’t be happier with it.

I’m not sure who originally coined the phrase “The Demented Mountain Goat” but that’s exactly what it is, I’m yet to find an incline that this thing doesn’t absolutely fly up. The Bosch motor is an absolute behemoth, the power is immense, point it at a mountain, put it in TURBO and hang on until you reach the top.

I was considering doing a long winded one week review post but there’s nothing to add to what people with far more knowledge than me haven’t already said.

My only advice would be to be patient and to beg, steal and borrow to get your greasy mitts on one, easy for me to say I know.

Going to get the software update done this week but God only knows how they’ve made the motor even better.

I also spend far too much time taking photos of it, the paintwork really looks sensational in the sunshine.

Special mentions to @Rob H (original YouTube review), @TheBikePilot (Mullet review update), @Johnny rider (General enthusiasm and upgrade advice), @Gary (Mudguard suggestion, excellent knowledge and general grumpiness), @PhilBaker (Full in depth review and Baby Mullet inventor, ©️Phil Baker) and big shout out to the rest of the fellow owners for all the advice.

View attachment 37594

View attachment 37595

View attachment 37596

View attachment 37597

Nice job!

Is there much difference on the overal tyre circumference can you tell?

GunplaMad

Aug 1, 2020
Glasgow
So a loan rather than a grant?
Why would you want to do this instead of a bike to work scheme where you'd save money? (£750 saving on a £3k bike over 4 years)
Or have I missed something glaringly obvious?

It spreads the cost over 4 years. Yes the cycle to work scheme is great for saving some money on the cost but if your employer takes forever to release the funds for this then you are sitting on your hands for a long long time.

I done it last year and applied early and the company didnt sign off on the first lot of staff till the end on July which took me into August and fighting for availability.

This year is no different. A colleague of mine signed up in May and is still waiting for the company finance director to sign it off!

Yes I could sign up to it and pay over one to two years but when will I get it?

With the government I can simply pay it £56 a month over four years and wait less then a month to get it sorted.

Not everyone is suited to this option.

But none the less it's an option.

Stiggy

Aug 9, 2020
Bolton UK
Hi folks apologies but could really do with some help on sizing as I bought my last bike off a mate and it just happened to fit. Its a Trek liquid 25 and I think an 18 inch frame, runs on 26”s, centre of the crank to the top of the seat tube is 450mm, chainstay is 435, seat post is 120, centre of seat (post) to centre of bars is 700 including a long 140 stem and the bars are 630, Centre of crank to centre of front wheel is 590. I am 170cm or 5’7”, 30” leg and about 75Kg. Looking at the stilus dimensions a medium should suit but everyone says they “come up small”. Advice appreciated thanks!
Hi please could any current owners advise if I have my calcs right and that I would be looking at a medium as the geometry and measurements are all a bit of a mystery to me. BTW my arms are 600mm shoulder to palm if that helps.

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
Hi please could any current owners advise if I have my calcs right and that I would be looking at a medium as the geometry and measurements are all a bit of a mystery to me. BTW my arms are 600mm shoulder to palm if that helps.
If I were built with your geometry I would probably go for a large. Good Luck!

scjgreen

Aug 5, 2020
Exeter
It spreads the cost over 4 years. Yes the cycle to work scheme is great for saving some money on the cost but if your employer takes forever to release the funds for this then you are sitting on your hands for a long long time.

I done it last year and applied early and the company didnt sign off on the first lot of staff till the end on July which took me into August and fighting for availability.

This year is no different. A colleague of mine signed up in May and is still waiting for the company finance director to sign it off!

Yes I could sign up to it and pay over one to two years but when will I get it?

With the government I can simply pay it £56 a month over four years and wait less then a month to get it sorted.

Not everyone is suited to this option.

But none the less it's an option.

That sounds good, im funding mine with an Interest Free CC :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles