Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

penguinni

E*POWAH Snack Master
Subscriber
Jun 22, 2020
Bangor, N Ireland
Bugger took to long to long to think about it. Went on just before and they’re both sold out ?
Anyone any suggestions for something similar around the £3500 or under

Have a look at Wilier bikes at Merlin Cycles. The 803 has the E8000 and 500 battery not the E7000 and 400 mentioned ( well that's the way mine came!)

penguinni

E*POWAH Snack Master
Subscriber
Jun 22, 2020
Bangor, N Ireland
158E1D3B-49EF-46C3-9BFA-4C2C10AF0DD5_1_201_a.jpeg

Rexer

Jul 23, 2020
Belgium
Well after the first outing, 30mins later I got a bloody puncture! Got home and chucked the tyres and tubes in the bin. Absolutely rubbish.

E Wilds ordered and tubeless waiting.
Rode off for the third time with the Stilus ??. Bicycle rides great. At one point I feel that the back feels strange. Feel the tire, it's going off. Luckily it wasn't flat right away and I still got home. I switched to tubeless for the first time in my life.
Someone I met in the woods said they took off the blackberries. So I may have driven into a small thorn. Apparently it doesn't take much to get a puncture ?...

Jamm13dodger

Jul 1, 2020
Burwell, UK
Bugger took to long to long to think about it. Went on just before and they’re both sold out ?
Seems to be a common theme at the moment. I ended up with the Stilus after missing out on a Giant, a Cannondale Moterra and then a Jam2 after waiting too long on all of them.

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire

as far as the info on this thread goes the Stilus is due back in stock . This is a Stilus thread for Stilus people .

McNasty

Jul 17, 2020
Manchester
About a week in to owning a Stilus and just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for all the very good advice on this forum, I couldn’t be happier with it.

I’m not sure who originally coined the phrase “The Demented Mountain Goat” but that’s exactly what it is, I’m yet to find an incline that this thing doesn’t absolutely fly up. The Bosch motor is an absolute behemoth, the power is immense, point it at a mountain, put it in TURBO and hang on until you reach the top.

I was considering doing a long winded one week review post but there’s nothing to add to what people with far more knowledge than me haven’t already said.

My only advice would be to be patient and to beg, steal and borrow to get your greasy mitts on one, easy for me to say I know.

Going to get the software update done this week but God only knows how they’ve made the motor even better.

I also spend far too much time taking photos of it, the paintwork really looks sensational in the sunshine.

Special mentions to @Rob H (original YouTube review), @TheBikePilot (Mullet review update), @Johnny rider (General enthusiasm and upgrade advice), @Gary (Mudguard suggestion, excellent knowledge and general grumpiness), @PhilBaker (Full in depth review and Baby Mullet inventor, ©️Phil Baker) and big shout out to the rest of the fellow owners for all the advice.

48145AE6-5755-4E54-8F69-4710AE76DC92.jpeg

37B974C7-B76C-49FE-9E5B-4DA05E47BB19.jpeg

D84413DE-B72F-428F-ACAE-8A6E04AAE65F.jpeg

ADFA4675-3E2E-4593-A2B1-866387E72E63.jpeg

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Rode off for the third time with the Stilus ??. Bicycle rides great. At one point I feel that the back feels strange. Feel the tire, it's going off. Luckily it wasn't flat right away and I still got home. I switched to tubeless for the first time in my life.
Someone I met in the woods said they took off the blackberries. So I may have driven into a small thorn. Apparently it doesn't take much to get a puncture ?...

If you have still got Smart Sam's on there most brambles etc will still get through and you relying on it sealing (which it should). Did you put tubeless sealant in when you set up tubeless?.?

Rexer

Jul 23, 2020
Belgium
If you have still got Smart Sam's on there most brambles etc will still get through and you relying on it sealing (which it should). Did you put tubeless sealant in when you set up tubeless?.?
As you can see, I'm just a beginner ? I went to the store and bought valves and liquid from Muc-Off. Took the tire off one side, then removed the inner tube. Then put the valve and 140 to 150 ml of liquid in it, then the tire over the rim. Then inflated with compressor until I heard pop pop. Removing the tire from the rim wasn't easy. I couldn't get them off the cheek of the rim.

Johnny rider

Jun 28, 2020
Coventry uk
About a week in to owning a Stilus and just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for all the very good advice on this forum, I couldn’t be happier with it.

I’m not sure who originally coined the phrase “The Demented Mountain Goat” but that’s exactly what it is, I’m yet to find an incline that this thing doesn’t absolutely fly up. The Bosch motor is an absolute behemoth, the power is immense, point it at a mountain, put it in TURBO and hang on until you reach the top.

I was considering doing a long winded one week review post but there’s nothing to add to what people with far more knowledge than me haven’t already said.

My only advice would be to be patient and to beg, steal and borrow to get your greasy mitts on one, easy for me to say I know.

Going to get the software update done this week but God only knows how they’ve made the motor even better.

I also spend far too much time taking photos of it, the paintwork really looks sensational in the sunshine.

Special mentions to @Rob H (original YouTube review), @TheBikePilot (Mullet review update), @Johnny rider (General enthusiasm and upgrade advice), @Gary (Mudguard suggestion, excellent knowledge and general grumpiness), @PhilBaker (Full in depth review and Baby Mullet inventor, ©️Phil Baker) and big shout out to the rest of the fellow owners for all the advice.

View attachment 37594

View attachment 37595

View attachment 37596

View attachment 37597
Thank you buddy

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
As you can see, I'm just a beginner ? I went to the store and bought valves and liquid from Muc-Off. Took the tire off one side, then removed the inner tube. Then put the valve and 140 to 150 ml of liquid in it, then the tire over the rim. Then inflated with compressor until I heard pop pop. Removing the tire from the rim wasn't easy. I couldn't get them off the cheek of the rim.

That's OK we were all beginners once..!

It should have sealed OK then. If you hear a puncture rotate the wheel. Then put the wheel on the floor where the puncture is so the sealant pools there. Those Smart Sams are super thin on the sidewall so you will be putting a lot of trust in the sealant. If you can I would upgrade the Tyres. You'll need sealant again though is the only issue!

You can either carry a spare inner tube (most people do that) or a tubeless repair kit. You'll also need either a pump or a CO2 canister. CO2' is lighter and easier. I wouldn't put 100% trust in a tubeless but I haven't had a puncture which didn't seal in 2 years.

Rexer

Jul 23, 2020
Belgium
When I wanted to pull the plug out of the bike after the second charge, the internal plug came out of the bike. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Then inflated with compressor until I heard pop pop. Removing the tire from the rim wasn't easy. I couldn't get them off the cheek of the rim.
Sounds like you did a bloody good job for the first time !! ??

Once you've done them both, it's a good idea to over inflate them (3 bar for instance) and then ride it a couple of KM's just to make sure the tyres have seated properly. It also sorts out any tiny punctures that might be there from whatever caused your problem, but might be so small you don't notice when it's sitting there.

Another tip when you're doing it is to remove the valve core, they'll inflate WAYYYYYY faster and pop onto the rim easier. You'll need to put the core back in and inflate again, but (depending on the tyre/rim) they should be in place by then.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
When I wanted to pull the plug out of the bike after the second charge, the internal plug came out of the bike. Does anyone else have the same problem?
Yup, posted about this a few weeks ago. Easy fix. As you go to remove the plug, tilt ithe back end downwards (the bit the cable comes out of) and then remove. It seems the plastic wavey bit on the male connection sticks.
I know it shouldn't happen but this solves it and I do it without thinking now, never comes out. Give it a whirl and let me know.

Rexer

Jul 23, 2020
Belgium
Sounds like you did a bloody good job for the first time !! ??

Once you've done them both, it's a good idea to over inflate them (3 bar for instance) and then ride it a couple of KM's just to make sure the tyres have seated properly. It also sorts out any tiny punctures that might be there from whatever caused your problem, but might be so small you don't notice when it's sitting there.

Another tip when you're doing it is to remove the valve core, they'll inflate WAYYYYYY faster and pop onto the rim easier. You'll need to put the core back in and inflate again, but (depending on the tyre/rim) they should be in place by then.
Thank you. I did cheat a little bit ?by searching Youtube movies to find the right way to do it. I've also seen that it's best to remove the core of the valve. After I put the product in the tires I indeed started riding it for a few tens of meters (it was way too hot to ride a bike in the afternoon - 38°??).
I also removed the pedals today. These already cracked. Put the almost new XT pedals from my other bike on the new Stilus.

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
sorry wasn’t meaning to high jack the thread.
Have been after a stylus since the end of june.
but just beginning to think its not meant to be for me
Won’t deviate again
Think you may get one if Robs email to decathlon is anything to go by. Was only jokin about deviation

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
sorry wasn’t meaning to high jack the thread.
Have been after a stylus since the end of june.
but just beginning to think its not meant to be for me
Won’t deviate again

I’m in the same boat, even been looking at used bikes but haven’t seen anything at this price yet. I’m hanging in there a little longer.

McNasty

Jul 17, 2020
Manchester
Went fully tubeless this morning without any major problems, I put the tyres on with inner tubes the day before just to get them seated properly.

Took the inner tubes out this morning, installed the valves and injected Stan’s Tyre Sealant through the valves, reinflated to a high pressure and just out for a ride to make sure they’re air tight, had a very slight leak on one of the valves so tightened the nut on the valve with a pair of long nose pliers and Bob’s Yer Uncle. It was actually a lot easier than expected. It was a bit of a pain to get the new tyres on yesterday but a bit or perseverance and some elbow grease (and some decent tyre levers) got them seated in the end.

Also stopped in at my local Decathlon this morning (which was very busy) just to ask a quick question. I felt like the Messiah, people were walking past nudging each other and saying “That’s the Stilus there”, I was genuinely considering setting up in the front car park and offering 5 minutes on the Stilus for £10, I would have made an absolute fortune. In the end I just went round the corner for a lovely pint in the sunshine instead. ?

kriz

Jun 29, 2020
Rochdale, UK
Yes, mine was the same, the clip is quite loose. I used some wire locking (you could use thin wire, not electrical copper) around the fitting to keep the hooks in place. Then screw the whole piece back into the frame. Or you could glue it in with CA glue.

Last edited:

L1482

Aug 9, 2020
Sunderland
Evening everyone #PreparesToJoinTheLottery

Thanks to @Rob Rides EMTB for the in depth Stilus review and activating my forum membership and to the rest of you for your invaluable info on the bike and ordering process.

My mate drew my attention to this EMTB, after having been subbed to Rob's YouTube channel - I also am, now and I like what I see.

I wasn't really in the market for an Eeb and was about to buy an acoustic Rose Root Miller. But my mate and I got talking to a Jam2 owner at Hamsterley Forest, had a bit of a look at the bike etc and then I thought stuff it, buy another used bike instead; an EMTB.

Like many of us, I don't want to spend more than ITRO £3K, initially. So have been looking for a good deal on a worthy Levo or Jam2.
I was going to view a 2019 Jam2 6.7, but I had a change of heart, and I really want something with a warranty and zero miles on it, given the potential issues and associated costs that can accompany these bikes.

Hence me taking the Stilus more seriously.
I'll give the unorthadox geo a shot. Like is said, most of us barely notice these things.
I have never owned a (proper) full bouncer before, so coming from my 2016 Scott Scale 710 Plus, I am sure it will feel like another world, anyway.

I have a question.
Assuming I f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶W̶i̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶W̶o̶n̶k̶a̶'̶s̶ ̶G̶o̶l̶d̶e̶n̶ ̶T̶i̶c̶k̶e̶t̶s̶ manage to buy one of these via the website carry on, regarding what size to go for.

I know a lot has been covered, but at 180/182cm tall and only ITRO 76cm inside leg, should I be going for a size L, given I will be riding a lot of red and black trails, random off-piste local stuff, and want to obviously get right over the rear axle at times?
XL I am sure would also be fine, but more so for the climbs, all day rides etc?

My size L hardtail has a reach of 435mm according to the specs, and with the saddle rails central in the post, I feel like sometimes the bars are are that little bit too far away (meagre manual attempts). I could slide the seat forward, true...

But regarding the Stilus, I can't help but think that an L with 800mm bars would be about the right reach for me, and allow me to still slam the dropper - probably have to change it for a 170mm. Shame my Reverb is too large a diameter - given Rob said that the XL reach is 465mm IIRC? My head is mashed ATM, so apologies if I am going over old ground or misquoting stuff!

That said, I still plan to use this bike - should I get one- for all day, mega rides, huge climbs etc. So I want to be fairly comfortable in all scenarios.

What do you all reckon?

Thanks again, and this is a great forum you have here.

Last edited:

Jamm13dodger

Jul 1, 2020
Burwell, UK
If it helps im 5’11” with a 29” inside leg and the L is just right for me. If i had a longer inside leg i think the XL would be better though. I suspect you are on the border between both sizes.

L1482

Aug 9, 2020
Sunderland
If it helps im 5’11” with a 29” inside leg and the L is just right for me. If i had a longer inside leg i think the XL would be better though. I suspect you are on the border between both sizes.

Cheers, mate. Was it you that stuck up some measurements of you on the bike?

What kind of riding are you doing on it, can you get your arse over the rear axle, with the dropper right down? How are you for knee to stem clearance, as obviously that is where these things are tight!

Wouldn't it be amazing to be able to try a couple of frame sizes, in store? Those were the days!:LOL:

Jamm13dodger

Jul 1, 2020
Burwell, UK

What kind of riding are you doing on it, can you get your arse over the rear axle, with the dropper right down? How are you for knee to stem clearance, as obviously that is where these things are tight!

Wouldn't it be amazing to be able to try a couple of frame sizes, in store? Those were the days!:LOL:
I copied the pic of the dimensions to one of the earlier posts in this thread.
I have tonnes of space between my knee and the bar and can easily get my arse over rhe rear wheel with the dropper down, i have maybe 2.5” of the non dropper part of the seat post sticking out of the frame if that makes sense and this means at full height its perfect for pedalling on the flat.

L1482

Aug 9, 2020
Sunderland
I copied the pic of the dimensions to one of the earlier posts in this thread.
I have tonnes of space between my knee and the bar and can easily get my arse over rhe rear wheel with the dropper down, i have maybe 2.5” of the non dropper part of the seat post sticking out of the frame if that makes sense and this means at full height its perfect for pedalling on the flat.

Thanks for that, mate. Yeah it makes sense.

Appreciate the info. Although as elusive as these things are, you may as well have told me how it feels when behind the wheel of a Ferrari F40. :LOL:

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales

It was possibly me with the photos on the bike (if you mean the drawn on lines etc). 32 inside leg as shown and XL is perfect.
Ride for years and using it for heart rehab at mo but still doing stuff I shouldn't on it. I can easily drop off the back on tricky downs and feel well planted on steep climbs. Single-track is a blast and feels solid and predictable with a nice flow to the feel of the bike. Knee clearance has not been an issue in any situation so far.
Have stuck with standard width bars and original tyres at mo (just done tubeless). Only changed the seat, pedals and grips-pretty normal for any new purchase as these are your familiar contact points from the last.
For me it's a perfect bike in a lot of ways. Hope you get the same buzz as we all do when riding it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles