Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Drsooty

Jul 10, 2020
Lancashire
Bit of a crappy one tbh, went out for a ride earlier & managed to send myself otb at full tilt downhill. Broken my shoulder, dislocated it too, cracked a rib & covered in cuts & bruises. I haven't had an off for twelve years but made up for it goodstyle today. Looks like I'm out for a while,

Beyond grateful to the National Trust ranger who found me & ran me to hospital.
Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you recover well.

This is my first ebike and the weight is certainly something I'm getting used too , and its impact on handling. Also the smart sam tyres do not give much grip on wet, muddy or rooty surfaces. I took a tumble last week going along a muddy downhill in the wet. Just a bruise through, sounds like you were unlucky.

I've just ordered some e-wilds, hopefully will help.

Rest up and you'll be back soon!!

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK

This is my first ebike and the weight is certainly something I'm getting used too , and its impact on handling. Also the smart sam tyres do not give much grip on wet, muddy or rooty surfaces. I took a tumble last week going along a muddy downhill in the wet. Just a bruise through, sounds like you were unlucky.

Thanks man, six weeks or so I chinny reckon.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Is there a specific (offset) crank that fits these motors on this bike ? Or will any isis crank work , i.e , hope , e-thirteen . The 175mm on the large is way to big for me and the missis . Looking at 160 hope but damn the price compared to the e-thirteen .

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
Purion definitely doesn’t but Kiox does. It’s a very easy upgrade for around £220, I’ve put a post on here about doing it. The more I use it the more I like it, if stats are your thing then you won’t have any regret.
Thanks Pigin, did you have to drop the engine ? Will look for your post. I like the idea of knowing how much battery I have left for the routes I want to do etc, interested in heart rate intergration for fitness training and the basic navigation functionality. Cheers

johnnymiller1000

Jul 29, 2020
Midlands UK

Your right, getting the front wheel up requires much more of a tug doesnt it, almost come a cropper myself already for that reason

OllieH

Jul 20, 2020
Wiltshire
I have been trying to order one of these now for 2 weeks, constantly out of stock every time I go on the Decathlon website:(

you and me both mate, been trying for over a month now and missed out on the batch on the 15th(was busy) haven't seen any since. It will be worth the wait :D

charlieback

Jul 10, 2020
UK
Following the group's advice on how to go tubeless, have fitted a couple of dhfs. The tip on standing on the smart Sam tyres to get them off was invaluable. Then for fitting the new ones, I seated the new tyres with an inner tube first for 24 hrs, then removed the inner tube, and used the muc off tubeless valves 44mm, pumped up again to reseat and check for leaks, before removing the valve core to add sealant and reinflating. Front wheel did need a bit of tape over the seam as was leaking, but otherwise, went OK.
Thanks fellow Stilunders for the tips.

15963835316113347839163151713668.jpg

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
new wheel set for me next bud

I'd say you will get more out of spending money on a new fork though which is the next best upgrade. If your gonna do that I would go to a 29er which leads me onto the next point...

Go for a mullet setup. 29er at the front and 27.5 at the rear. It's honestly made it one of the most fun bikes I've ridden. It lowers the BB a bit but absolutely changes the handling and pop. If you get a new 29er fork and wheel at the front (also need a new tyre), you can change that rear wheel at a later date.

You're not gonna get too much improvement in handling and feel from dropping £3-500 on a 27.5 wheelset. Those wheels already retail at £3-500 odd. Spend £500-£700 on a new fork, even if you keep the 27.5 wheelset, it will totally transform the bike mate.

RockShox Lyrik Ultimate with the 2.1 Damper upgrade.... it's honestly one of the loveliest forks I've ridden. If you haven't the money for a Fork, keep that in your pocket and save up. You won't feel any significant change in the handling or performance of the bike on a wheelset unless you drop £700-1200 on wheels and then, honestly, you may as well get the fork upgrade.

DT-Swiss are the best wheels, again IMHO, if you do buy new wheels but honestly, if you have the cash to make one more upgrade go for the fork.

Anything above that 35 Gold is gonna change the whole feeling of the bike..If you do get a RockShox check you can change the Damper which most you can for around £80 and it levels up the fork to the one above even beyond.

You've still got an absolute banger there mate. Hope your enjoying..!!

Last edited:

Johnny rider

Jun 28, 2020
Coventry uk
I'd say you will get more out of spending money on a new fork though which is the next best upgrade. If your gonna do that I would go to a 29er which leads me onto the next point...

Go for a mullet setup. 29er at the front and 27.5 at the rear. It's honestly made it one of the most fun bikes I've ridden. It lowers the BB a bit but absolutely changes the handling and pop. If you get a new 29er fork and wheel at the front (also need a new tyre), you can change that rear wheel at a later date.

You're not gonna get too much improvement in handling and feel from dropping £3-500 on a 27.5 wheelset. Those wheels already retail at £3-500 odd. Spend £500-£700 on a new fork, even if you keep the 27.5 wheelset, it will totally transform the bike mate.

RockShox Lyrik Ultimate with the 2.1 Damper upgrade.... it's honestly one of the loveliest forks I've ridden. If you haven't the money for a Fork, keep that in your pocket and save up. You won't feel any significant change in the handling or performance of the bike on a wheelset unless you drop £700-1200 on wheels and then, honestly, you may as well get the fork upgrade.

DT-Swiss are the best wheels, again IMHO, if you do buy new wheels but honestly, if you have the cash to make one more upgrade go for the fork.

Anything above that 35 Gold is gonna change the whole feeling of the bike..If you do get a RockShox check you can change the Damper which most you can for around £80 and it levels up the fork to the one above even beyond.

You've still got an absolute banger there mate. Hope your enjoying..!!
Cheers for that bud

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Quick query, for those who've fitted E-Wilds, is the 2.8 rear a direct fit for the 2.6 Smart Sam? I can't see why not but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Hi

Does anyone have any issues with front forks going stiff locking out when being left parked up, i have had bike 2 weeks now and after yesterdays ride left bike in garage , went back to it after an hour and front forks were solid. i got them moving pushing them up and down but movement seemed less plush! I have read about this happening on a review on decathlon site. i am wondering if it is an issue or just something that happens when bedding the new forks in, it has never happen on any of my other forks though. Any one else had similar issues?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Quick query, for those who've fitted E-Wilds, is the 2.8 rear a direct fit for the 2.6 Smart Sam? I can't see why not but it doesn't hurt to ask.
@PhilBaker thought the 2.6 was a smaller diameter than the smart Sam. I guess the smart Sam has a high profile. I run a 2.6 on the front and a 2.8 on the rear on a kenevo. The 2.6 is about 5mm smaller (shorter) not being Plus sized.

So yes, it should be similar and swap straight over. The 2.8 wild doesn't feel quite as lardy as some of the other 2.8 tyres, though the 2.6 will be sharper.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles