Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Ribbsey

Jun 29, 2020
South Yorkshire
Iknow stupid question but you haven't blow a fuse on plug have you, i got 2 bike 1 came with uk plug adapter the other did not I used an old shaving plug adapter on other and promptly blue the fuse.
Thanks for reply, the battery was plugged into the charger showing all 5 bars full on the LED's, I unplugged it and put it on my bike and the Purion display didn't turn on. I removed the battery and the LED's had stopped working and haven't flickered since. I will check the charger fuse, it seems a design oversight not to have a 'power on' LED on the charger.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Is it there yet ??
Yes it is!!

Ok, I've literally bolted the bars on (too narrow) and the pedals (garbage) and gone for a quick burn up the first climb from my front door to the south downs. It arrived with one bar, so literally a ten minute loop up about 300ft. Very, very first impressions:

The pedals are rubbish. The bars are too narrow, the dropper is too high fully extended & doesn't drop anywhere near enough to make gnarring it downhill confidence inspiring but this may be how it comes out the factory, IDK but I'll get to it. The geometry is cramped but nowhere neal a dealbreaker & I have chucked an old SDG saddle on at full rearward extension.

The fork is ok but a bit jittery compared to the buttery Pike I'm used to. Again, I haven't set the sag or rebound so don't listen to me.

The tyres are garbage. The brakes are shocking but I'll bleed them & I know they'll be great as I've got the same on my Zesty.

But, but, but..I just flew up a climb that usually takes me seven or eight minutes in two in tour mode & it was practically effortless. I can't see this thing, with a few upgrades & a bit of setting up being anything other than amazing. No ifs, no buts, it's going to be a massive heap of fun this thing, no question in my mind.

Also, the grips are rubbish.?

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
Yes it is!!

Ok, I've literally bolted the bars on (too narrow) and the pedals (garbage) and gone for a quick burn up the first climb from my front door to the south downs. It arrived with one bar, so literally a ten minute loop up about 300ft. Very, very first impressions:

The pedals are rubbish. The bars are too narrow, the dropper is too high fully extended & doesn't drop anywhere near enough to make gnarring it downhill confidence inspiring but this may be how it comes out the factory, IDK but I'll get to it. The geometry is cramped but nowhere neal a dealbreaker & I have chucked an old SDG saddle on at full rearward extension.

The fork is ok but a bit jittery compared to the buttery Pike I'm used to. Again, I haven't set the sag or rebound so don't listen to me.

The tyres are garbage. The brakes are shocking but I'll bleed them & I know they'll be great as I've got the same on my Zesty.

But, but, but..I just flew up a climb that usually takes me seven or eight minutes in two in tour mode & it was practically effortless. I can't see this thing, with a few upgrades & a bit of setting up being anything other than amazing. No ifs, no buts, it's going to be a massive heap of fun this thing, no question in my mind.

Also, the grips are rubbish.?
Amazing!

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
Get an ebike my friend's said it would be great fun...... I got 2 and still can't blag a go on me own bike. ???
IMG_20200729_162821.jpg

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Post Bosch motor software ride

I guess the headline is that yes you can tell the difference.

Forgive me if there is some information here for your grandma and her eggs but here goes. Torque is the force required to rotate an object, think torque wrench. One of the things the upgrade does is increase the maximum torque to 85nm from 75nm. It doesn’t sound a lot but I think it’s very noticeable and for me and my style of riding that was most noticeable whilst in tour mode. Just like a car you notice the effect of torque at lower speeds / cadence. It pulls like Tom Cruise at a hen do!

In all modes the delivery seems less digital instead power comes in and out more smoothly and now I actually like EMTB mode as it has a smoother delivery and feels less twitchy.

I had discovered the boost mode yet so can’t comment on that.

I think the upgrade is real good noticeable improvement and with no real noticeable drain on the battery, I’m sure there is, physics says there must be, but I wouldn’t go back.
Had mine done this morning. Rode 10 mile to LbS and then had the upgrade and rode 10 mile back-definitely a difference IMHO. I found that even though the battery should suffer mileage wise, I actually used a lower mode as the torque effect allowed me to do that, and therefore run for a for a greater range according to the display.
Smoother and will probably save gear changes that's for sure (though your chain may become elastic?).
25 mile, dropped 1 bar (wasn't the hardest of terrain) and felt like I wanted to keep going.
LBS service was a bit hit and miss though, rang two days on the trot and said it was fine to come in (other shop kept palming me of with backlog excuse and having to leave the bike there for a day or two). Turned up to a less than welcoming guy and had to explain myself. Found the guy I spoke to and he got it in the shop and did it (not before another tech stating that it would put more strain on the drive system). Had to tell them they had quoted 20 quid and then ask for a print out. This was a basic one and didn't even have my address on it when I got home and checked the email attachment. I made sure the printout and copy of the email are saved and have matching dates and name of LBS for future needs (hopefully none). I know I didn't buy it there but really.
Thinking of dropping Bosch a quiet line and asking them to maybe iron out the connection with their "authorised" dealers in some cases, if that's who we have to use. I'm glad others have had better experiences.
I'm off to put that extra stress on the drive system that they talked about ?.

Idaho

Jun 22, 2020
Glasgow
Sooooo... It's been a week now but I've been fairly busy with work so only went on adventures with the bike twice.

2 x 35 miles though with cycle paths, gravel roads, technical terrain, stairs, so I did a bit of everything really.

Okay, now before I share my thoughts about the bike, please understand that I come from exclusively riding thousands of miles on this, my 20 years old 26" Decathlon Rockrider 5.5 :
P_20200729_172524.jpg

Back in the day this was meant to be an all-mountain bike, but I'd suppose that by today standards this is more like an old full suspension XC bike.
I've had that bike new so in 20 years I obviously got very used to its geometry (and after a few days with the Stilus, now that I look at it I find it a bit goofy indeed, hahaha!).
And yes, these are toe-clips, and I still use these.

So, impressions on the Stilus (and if you bear with me I'll be adding some nice pics further below ;) ):

Oh boy, what a heavy bike! Glad it's got a motor, but I can't agree that you don't feel it once on the move, at least definitely not when you try to move it on technical terrain. Heavy frame, massive tires, big fork, yeah, I really need to get used to this.
Now, the suspension setup definitely seems to deal with that weight pretty nicely, and I can't imagine how it can be with an even better fork.
Changed the pedals for DMR V8s (cause they were cheap enough and I don't know quite yet if I want to go clipless, or even toe-clip! ;) ) on this one, and the saddle (after a painful first ride) for the Decathlon Comfort Sport 500. Well honestly it might be only £14.99 but it does a really nice job compared to the original one, my butt approves!
Tires will definitely need to be changed, I'm not confident in cornering with these.

I find the geometry weird, but again, coming from an antique bike, who am I to judge?
It's just that I struggle to find a good front/rear balance for now, so I don't go crazy on jumps yet, that's for sure. Even when braking really hard I find it a bit shady from times to times.
The handlebar as well, I know you guys find it too narrow but I find it very wide actually! Coming from 600mm, this 760mm one is very very wide and it doesn't help making me feel more comfortable.
Actually, I may have an issue here, and I need your help/input guys, I'll explain further below.
That being said, that weird geometry, combined with the Bosch motor (not upgraded yet), makes it a really really good climber indeed!

I can't say i like the speed limitation, I used to go over the 25 km/h regularly and because of how heavy it is, well I usually stick to around that speed now, it's very frustrating for me. I guess I should have known but I had never tried an ebike before, and didn't really know how fast (or not!!!) 25 km/h is.

Happy with the battery so far, 2 full bars left at the end of both my rides, I try to stick to Eco and Tour modes to get myself back in shape after 4 months of lockdown essentially sitting on my arse, but damn! Really impressed with the push you get from EMTB and Turbo modes!
It's a perfect bike to go on an adventure with and, now living in Scotland, that's exactly what I bought it for.
It's just a matter of changing the tires and getting used to the geometry now.

So, back to my issue now:
Two rides with it and I have a pain in my wrists, a pain I've never ever had before. In fact, it's been three days now since my last ride on the bike and I still feel it.
To be more specific, the exterior of my wrists hurt, and it seems to be around the Pisiform bone.
First thing I did was obviously to compare geometry on both the 20 years old Rockrider 5.5 and the Stilus, and while I didn't measure the Reach, I can tell you the horizontal distance between the saddle and the handlebar (Effective Top Tube length?) is 100mm shorter on the Stilus. But the Handlebar on the other hand is 160mm wider on the Stilus, so I'm not sure where the problem is really.

Here is my "cockpit" on the old one:
P_20200729_172703.jpg

Not sure that helps, I compared the height difference between the seat and the handlebar and it's the same on both bikes.

Do you think grips come into play here? Should I get better/thicker ones?

You would notice I have the "horns"/end bars on the old bike as well, which I really like and use a lot when I cover long distances as I can rest my hands in a different position. Maybe I should get some on the Stilus too?

Anyway, any feedback, experience you've had with similar issue is welcome, it's not perfect but I really like the bike, so it would be a shame if I can't go on long rides with it, I need to solve this wrist pain issue.

Now, you've all been really patient, so here are a few pics from the past few days (and yes, that Ben Lomond in the background on the 3rd and 4th ones):

P_20200723_195015.jpg

P_20200723_195811.jpg

P_20200726_175543.jpg

P_20200726_175552.jpg

P_20200726_194322.jpg

Last edited:

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Sooooo... It's been a week now but I've been fairly busy with work so only went on adventures with the bike twice.

2 x 35 miles though with cycle paths, gravel roads, technical terrain, stairs, so I did a bit of everything really.

Okay, now before I share my thoughts about the bike, please understand that I come from exclusively riding thousands of miles on this, my 20 years old 26" Decathlon Rockrider 5.5 :
View attachment 36930

Back in the day this was meant to be an all-mountain bike, but I'd suppose that by today standards this is more like an old full suspension XC bike.
I've had that bike new so in 20 years I obviously got very used to its geometry (and after a few days with the Stilus, now that I look at it I find it a bit goofy indeed, hahaha!).

So, impressions on the Stilus (and if you bear with me I'll be adding some nice pics further below ;) ):

Oh boy, what a heavy bike! Glad it's got a motor, but I can't agree that you don't feel it once on the move, at least definitely not when you try to move it on technical terrain. Heavy frame, massive tires, big fork, yeah, I really need to get used to this.
Now, the suspension setup definitely seems to deal with that weight pretty nicely, and I can't imagine how it can be with an even better fork.
Changed the pedals for DMR V8s (cause they were cheap enough and I don't know quite yet if I want to go clipless, or even toe-clip! ;) ) on this one, and the saddle (after a painful first ride) for the Decathlon Comfort Sport 500. Well honestly it might be only £14.99 but it does a really nice job compared to the original one, my butt approves!
Tires will definitely need to be changed, I'm not confident in cornering with these.

I find the geometry weird, but again, coming from an antique bike, who am I to judge?
It's just that I struggle to find a good front/rear balance for now, so I don't go crazy on jumps yet, that's for sure. Even when braking really hard I find it a bit shady from times to times.
The handlebar as well, I know you guys find it too narrow but I find it very wide actually! Coming from 600mm, this 760mm one is very very wide and it doesn't help making me feel more comfortable.
Actually, I may have an issue here, and I need your help/input guys, I'll explain further below.
That being said, that weird geometry, combined with the Bosch motor (not upgraded yet), makes it a really really good climber indeed!

I can't say i like the speed limitation, I used to go over the 25 km/h regularly and because of how heavy it is, well I usually stick to around that speed now, it's very frustrating for me. I guess I should have known but I had never tried an ebike before, and didn't really know how fast (or not!!!) 25 km/h is.

Happy with the battery so far, 2 full bars left at the end of both my rides, I try to stick to Eco and Tour modes to get myself back in shape after 4 months of lockdown essentially sitting on my arse, but damn! Really impressed with the push you get from EMTB and Turbo modes!
It's a perfect bike to go on an adventure with and, now living in Scotland, that's exactly what I bought it for.

Two rides with it and I have a pain in my wrists, a pain I've never had, ever.
To be more specific, the exterior of my wrists hurt, and it seems to be around the Pisiform bone.
First thing I did was obviously to compare geometry on both the 20 years old Rockrider 5.5 and the Stilus, and while I didn't measure the Reach, I can tell you the horizontal distance between the saddle and the handlebar (Effective Top Tube length?) is 100mm shorter on the Stilus. But the Handlebar on the other hand is 160mm wider on the Stilus, so I'm not sure where the problem is really.

View attachment 36931
Not sure that helps, I compared the height difference between the seat and the handlebar and it's the same on both bikes.

You would notice I have the "horns"/end bars on the old bike as well, which I really like and use a lot when I cover long distances as I can rest my hands in a different position. Maybe I should get some on the Stilus too?

Anyway, any feedback, experience you've had with similar issue is welcome, it's not perfect but I really like the bike, so it would be a shame if I can't go on long rides with it, I need to solve this wrist pain issue.

Now, you've all been really patient, so here are a few pics from the past few days (and yes, that Ben Lomond in the background on the 3rd and 4th ones):

View attachment 36932
View attachment 36933
View attachment 36934
View attachment 36935
View attachment 36936
No wonder you went back to Decathlon, that Rockrider should be put in a museum along with the two million mile Volvo!

I also have an issue with a wrist. I ve just put some Ergon GP1s on and they feel great. Have a look at GP2 & 3 if you still want bull bar ends.

Idaho

Jun 22, 2020
Glasgow
No wonder you went back to Decathlon, that Rockrider should be put in a museum along with the two million mile Volvo!
Hahaha, well there's a reason Decathlon offer lifetime warranty on all their frames (not the Stilus though, as they didn't develop that one).

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent

View attachment 36930

Two rides with it and I have a pain in my wrists, a pain I've never ever had before. In fact, it's been three days now since my last ride on the bike and I still feel it.

View attachment 36931

View attachment 36932
View attachment 36933
View attachment 36934
View attachment 36935
View attachment 36936

Definitely change the grips, I have Ergon grips also and they are really great. I'd also consider a longer Stem if your geometry feels smaller than your previous bike. If you search this forum for my review on the bike you will see links to the grips and the Stem I ordered.

Finally, I also cut my bars down to make them shorter, they were just too wide for me. Changing these 3 things for me really improved the comfort of the ride.

Hope that helps.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Hard cornering on loose/muddy is like night and day when comparing Smart Sam's with E-Wilds. I know this because I have done it on both tyres on my Stilus.
Enjoy your next Epping outing @PhilBaker (y) (was not Epping forest, Chiltern Hills;))

Still not made it over there to test these e-Wild's out but really looking forward to being able to corner :cool::p

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK

View attachment 36930

View attachment 36931

View attachment 36932
View attachment 36933
View attachment 36934
View attachment 36935
View attachment 36936
Couple of quick points on comfort - before you go off spending on grips & whatnot, the geometry is a bit upright & cramped for sure but you can experiment mvong the saddle around on the rails & I would also try rotating the bars to change the rise & see if that helps. The road bike guys routinely have bike fits done that take in these kind of things & there's no reason why you shouldn't play with the variables too.

After that, you're into chopping & changing components like Phil mentions above. P.s. The grips are rubbish though.

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
I’m expecting mine tomorrow (that probs means Monday ?) just wondering what size tubeless valves I need? Do I need extra tape for the rim? Going to go straight to my e-wilds tubeless front and back. got some muc-off no puncture tubeless sealant . Also can anyone point me to a good first time tubeless tut video? Would I be able to sell the included tyres on eBay ? Thanks ? peeps

johnnymiller1000

Jul 29, 2020
Midlands UK
I’m expecting mine tomorrow (that probs means Monday ?) just wondering what size tubeless valves I need? Do I need extra tape for the rim? Going to go straight to my e-wilds tubeless front and back. got some muc-off no puncture tubeless sealant . Also can anyone point me to a good first time tubeless tut video? Would I be able to sell the included tyres on eBay ? Thanks ? peeps

mines due between 11:15 and 13:15. going to run it stock day 1 (apart from pedals) and go from there, I’m expecting, grips, bars,tyres to come up fairly quick as things to look at changing

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Didi this last night. I only turned round when I did because the light was going! Honestly felt afterwards like I'd popped out for a pint of milk. I think my average moving speed on my Lapierre is aorund 8-9mph.

EeIAQReWoAMPngt.jpg

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Didi this last night. I only turned round when I did because the light was going! Honestly felt afterwards like I'd popped out for a pint of milk. I think my average moving speed on my Lapierre is aorund 8-9mph.

View attachment 36961
Hi

Did this one last Saturday 95% off road, did about 5 miles with no battery to make sure I got home. I had1 bar and 6 K range left at end of ride.
1596109637642.png

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
just fitted Eddy currents 2.6 front and rear, the Smart Sam' s , were ok whilst ground was dry but when it got wet and muddy they just let go unexpectedly. They went on ok had to heat sidewall to make it easier to fit( tubeless), and have lost no pressure at all over last 3 days.

20200728_200400.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles