Covid 19 worries !

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
there you go again manipulating numbers, 10,000 of 85,000 seems rather scary 12ish% mortality rate, until you realise that is derived from just the very serious cases that went to hospital and got tested, the hundreds of thousands of people who have contracted it and simply recovered aren't ever mentioned in the scare mongering statistics. the virus isn't the problem the panic is.

again for perspective
in the last week of january
6030 people diagnosed with flu.
703 required intensive care treatment.
and this is with quite high levels if vaccinations.
UK flu levels according to PHE statistics: 2019 to 2020

and that was a decrease from previous weeks.
all other figures are from the world health organisation not the sun news paper or some other load of tripe.
May I recommend that you try to get in contact with your brain, what you are referring to is absolutely irrelevant in this situation!

Yesterday evening in northern Italy:

What if it is one of your family members in one of the coffins?

Karsten

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
there you go again manipulating numbers, 10,000 of 85,000 seems rather scary 12ish% mortality rate, until you realise that is derived from just the very serious cases that went to hospital and got tested, the hundreds of thousands of people who have contracted it and simply recovered aren't ever mentioned in the scare mongering statistics. the virus isn't the problem the panic is.

again for perspective

all other figures are from the world health organisation not the sun news paper or some other load of tripe.
Basher, you win. I'm just being a flower power hippy.. I must be because I'd genuinely like to think that some of these messages might keep you with us.

Some stats for you.. as you say the numbers don't lie , but you can still interpret them to your own satisfaction.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 230,496 Cases and 9,389 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

For instance.. following a recent poll only 10% of users think I'm a moron..

But that's only because 90% know I am.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire

again for perspective

Thank you. You say no-one cares? I bet to differ. We have a health service that’s geared up for this. Every year, globally, we devote a huge effort to find the most effective vaccine in a very short time and distribute that before flu season hits. It has probably saved the lives of people who are even in this thread. This is not a ‘no one cares’ scenario.

How the flu vaccine works

I can’t change whether you care or not and nor do I intend to try but I think you should consider the above facts.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

again for perspective

And its people who ignore the seriousness of the situation that add to the panic - its pretty simple really, follow the advice, stay calm, and we will get through this, idiots meeting en masse, ignoring the advice, and spouting misinformation are the problem, not the people following it.

I am not panicked about what's happening, because if we are sensible we will come through it, I am panicked about idiots nor realising how serious it is and making life more difficult and dangerous for everyone.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
And its people who ignore the seriousness of the situation that add to the panic - its pretty simple really, follow the advice, stay calm, and we will get through this, idiots meeting en masse, ignoring the advice, and spouting misinformation are the problem, not the people following it.

I am not panicked about what's happening, because if we are sensible we will come through it, I am panicked about idiots nor realising how serious it is and making life more difficult and dangerous for everyone.
Very clever words!

Karsten

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
May I recommend that you try to get in contact with your brain, what you are referring to is absolutely irrelevant in this situation!

Yesterday evening in northern Italy:

What if it is one of your family members in one of the coffins?

Karsten

so i provide figures from public health england and the world health organisation and you counter that with twitter?? come on at least try.
I've already told you trying to pull the family card doesn't work with me.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
so i provide figures from public health england and the world health organisation and you counter that with twitter?? come on at least try.
Apples and pears my friend( last bit is ironic if you don’t get it)

Btw have you considered the fact that you are quite alone with your standpoints here? Is it a little bit like I’m very clever and all the rest are idiots?

Anyway I rest my case......

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

There appears to be a positive side to this situation ! @b45her I think we've established you're probably immune to any neurological effects from the virus !

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Maybe the missing link between these countered positioned arguments is that at the beginning of this outbreak nobody knew what was causing illness and fatality. Once armed with at least some information about the virus measures were taken to try to contain the spread....yet despite those efforts the numbers falling ill increased sharply. So the figures we all see are despite those efforts. As things stand we have no means to immunise and as yet no effective means to mitigate the progress of the infection for those already ill with it. Those things differentiate this from other forms of illness with potential to be fatal.
If the measures being taken indeed ultimately result in lower death rates than for example the Flu that needs to be considered a huge success. Uk estimates for fatality are indeed lower that many other deseases....contingent on the control measures being effective. If those measures were not implemented or adhered to the estimated death toll is horrific....at least in peace time. (No links but as detailed by UK Prime Minister daily briefings).

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Does it not expose the resource contention level of each person's internet connection? As such, throttling Netflix is probably an excellent way to go (as per the EU proposals). Was not that the whole drama on "Net Neutrality" in the USA?
Yes partly....thereafter the capacity of your ISPs connection into the internet and after that the capacity of individual servers on the WWW. The capacity of the internet itself is effectively limitless. Lower cost ISPs achieve cost savings by paying for smaller capacity onto the internet and greater contention out to its customers. Nobody gets dedicated bandwidth in an IP network.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
The biggest problem is the sheer number of people with chronic health issues, heart disease, diabetes etc, on average 640,000 Americans die each year from heart disease alone, if a large number of people suffering from these conditions are infected with the virus and are hospitalized the NHS wouldn't be able to cope, this is the reason governments around the world are trying to slow down the transmission of the virus, you only have to look at the figures for obesity to see why we are in the current situation, a large percentage of the developed worlds population lead a very unhealthy lifestyle and it's now biting us in the arse, sad to see some people throwing insults around, it's not big and it's not clever, I personally think that it's probably time this thread was shut down, it's only adding to the general level of hysteria surrounding this virus. Anyway I'm out of here it's not doing my blood pressure any good ☹

PSR1947

Mar 14, 2020
Epping Essex UK
Many years ago I rowed in the British indoor rowing championships. There was a competitor who I thought was delusional but according to my psychologist friend, who was also rowing, he said he may well be suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Whatever his condition, he was a right pain in the backside.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I personally think that it's probably time this thread was shut down, it's only adding to the general level of hysteria surrounding this virus. Anyway I'm out of here it's not doing my blood pressure any good ☹
This has
”distantiam peragrare” ! It’s just getting interesting !
Excuse my Latin ?

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
So Boris and his experts have done the sums and has figured that about 60% of the population are needed to contract the virus to help with a herd immunity , long term . With the fatality rate as it stands the death toll could be huge .
It would help with the current nhs bed blocking , social care , pension pots and the vulnerable !
Don’t think I’m comfortable with his strategy!!
It might be right though !
Being blunt and cold about it. By the time this virus has finished, there won’t be any pension deficits or old people left to bed block. I would rather catch this COVID now whilst there are some hospital beds spare and a few paracetamols too.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
You just stick to being driven by emotion and fear then and i'll stick to numbers as they dont lie.

The UK's economy is going to tank big time, and the regular people on the street are going to end up paying for it as usual, while everyone is hiding indoors and not working thousands of businesses are going to go under. more and more people are going to fall into serious debt and loose their homes because they are scared of what is essentially a minor illness,

600,000 people die a year related to passive smoking, 20% of them children - no one cares.
34,000 people die of flu - no one cares.
140,000 die from measles - no one cares
103/year die of chicken pox ffs - no one cares.
100,000 a year need hospitalising and a 1000 die (uk) just from falling down the stairs - no one cares.
the list could go on and on.

latest WHO death count i can find is less than 5000 world wide, almost all in people who were very old or very ill - entire western world goes into meltdown, and people start acting like its an extinction level event.
It's a totally irrational reaction.

And before all you snowflakes start all the "what if someone you know got it" shit, dont bother, thats the exact reasoning all the "karen's" of this world use to fuel their own hysteria and totally wasted on rational people.

Well, because you like perspective so much! I think you should thank the people that actually adhere to the advice of the health organisations and goverments since their actions will make it possible for you to be treated in a hospital or by a doctor in the near future.

If you are not a troll, but in fact actually believe what you write, I think you might benefit from understanding numbers and timeframes.

It is not the total deaths that is per se problematic, it is the rate at which people who get SARS-CoV2 that need hospitalisation. Influenca for example never lead to overloading hospital ICU beds. In Italy this happended in 2-3 weeks. They also did not care much until recently as you might know.

So, if we do not slow down the rate at which people get into our hospitals, the hosptials will be swamped and therefore ALL healthcare is affected. Your healthcare included! If you need serieus treatment for lets assume a car accident that might not be available. We are not talking yet about the fact that medical staff themselfs can get sick and can transfer this to the old, weak and sick in their hospital.....also maybe you....

Not understanding the severity of this is actually quite difficult. Whole countries do not want to risk destroying their economy for no reason. We are doing this because we care about other people and see a potential collapse of our healthcare if we do nothing.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I don't think any evidence is going to change his mind. Hopefully he's in a minority.

Although on a slightly contradictory note who is going out riding as normal this weekend?

I'm going out but there won't be a pub stop on route unfortunately.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Lucky buggers .. My birthday tomorrow and I was planning a mega KOM fest ! All I'm going to be doing now is perfecting my track stand until I pull my finger out of my arse and make the "Zimmer Bike Park". Enjoy it whilst you can !

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Lucky buggers .. My birthday tomorrow and I was planning a mega KOM fest ! All I'm going to be doing now is perfecting my track stand until I pull my finger out of my arse and make the "Zimmer Bike Park". Enjoy it whilst you can !

Yes that's the plan, who knows where we'll be in a week's time...

And the weather looks decent for a change!

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire

Oh, and Happy birthday for tomorrow :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles