commencal 2021

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
The forks look like they are different offsets also.
Yes I am calling bullshit on something here. Someone has their photoshop messed up
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 6.14.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 6.11.11 PM.png

Not the new motor. Yo Commencal web dudes, wtf you doin'?

Last edited:

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
Checked in with Commencal USA today - they are still confident to have bikes in their warehouse by mid-December
Sounds positive then if US and UK are saying the same, I have a Meta Power 29 signature on order, so hopefully it will arrive just in time to be a nice Christmas present!

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
I have the ohlins version on order.
Recently I got a little concern. The head angle is only 63.5 degrees. This is DH slacknes...
In a recent test, the normal version of the meta power ( meta am , muscular) on which the meta power is based. The testers didn’t like the bike, because of being to slack and long. They had difficulties getting any weight on the front wheel.
Keep in mind that the power version has 450mm chainstay , muscular is 430mm.

What do you think ? Have they gone to far with the geo? Did anyone experience this on the 2020 version?

Would be nice to hear your opinion....

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Recently I got a little concern. The head angle is only 63.5 degrees. This is DH slacknes...
In a recent test, the normal version of the meta power ( meta am , muscular) on which the meta power is based. The testers didn’t like the bike, because of being to slack and long. They had difficulties getting any weight on the front wheel.

What do you think ? Have they gone to far with the geo? Did anyone experience this on the 2020 version?

I suppose a "light front" end is the trade-off for having a bike that's designed to shine on steep, fast, and rowdy DH trails

A bike that's "too long and slack" is more of an annoyance on a normal bike anyway where climbing efficiency has a higher value to the rider

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California

imo a +20mm difference in chainstay length is a huge difference, 430 is on the very short end of the spectrum these days & 450 is on the long end. the longer the chainstay the further forward the balance point of the bike will be.

also remember emtb have the motor weight & especially battery weight both far forward of the rear axle which will keep the front end weighted far more than a non-emtb.

the most comparable emtb geometry-wise would probably be the focus sam^2 in mullet mode with the long 450mm chainstay setting which makes the HTA ~64 degrees, Rob did a great review of just this recently:

personally I wouldn't buy a Bosch emtb given the lack of motor tunability & clunky crash-vulnerable control/display unit, & I prefer the higher pedaling ground clearance & rollover efficiency of a full 29er, so I think Commencal has completely nailed it with the 2021 Meta Power 29.

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
imo a +20mm difference in chainstay length is a huge difference, 430 is on the very short end of the spectrum these days & 450 is on the long end. the longer the chainstay the further forward the balance point of the bike will be.

also remember emtb have the motor weight & especially battery weight both far forward of the rear axle which will keep the front end weighted far more than a non-emtb.

the most comparable emtb geometry-wise would probably be the focus sam^2 in mullet mode with the long 450mm chainstay setting which makes the HTA ~64 degrees, Rob did a great review of just this recently:

personally I wouldn't buy a Bosch emtb given the lack of motor tunability & clunky crash-vulnerable control/display unit, & I prefer the higher pedaling ground clearance & rollover efficiency of a full 29er, so I think Commencal has completely nailed it with the 2021 Meta Power 29.

I follow your reasoning and agree with it. One could easily use an angle headset to reduce the HA if wanted. At 180cm I'm between M and L. Went for large , because I'm not the most playful rider, more the racer kind of rider.

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
December bikes now showing 15th as the “available” date.
And now back to just saying December. Beginning? End? Who knows! I’m guessing with the fact that there is still no update from Shimano on whether they have fixed the motor issue, Commencal have had to be less exact with delivery dates!

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
Went into my LBS today and EP8 powered bikes have been delivered in New Zealand. Apparently NZ is a test case for the fixed bikes. Once theyre all good to go the motors are being shipped out to the distributors and swapped in the country of sale.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
And now back to just saying December. Beginning? End? Who knows! I’m guessing with the fact that there is still no update from Shimano on whether they have fixed the motor issue, Commencal have had to be less exact with delivery dates!
I emailed them the other day and was assured it will definitely be December however they couldn't give a date so we shall see. I remain hopeful that Santa will deliver mine ??

Reactions: JW9

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
i've been digging into how to charge the EP8 battery separately off the bike, useful for charging off an inverter in your vehicle if the bike is on a rack outside, for charging extra batteries while you ride, also for charging batteries in optimum temperature conditions outside hot/cold garages etc.

seems like you need this adapter which apparently is not included with/is sold separately from the charger:
says it's for BT-E8035 which is the E8000 in-tube 504wh battery, but at bottom of page says "SERIES EP8 EP800 Series" so i believe it's correct.
pin pattern definitely looks different from SM-BTE60 which says for SHIMANO STEPS E8000 Series:

i could not find SM-BTE80 for sale anywhere on USA or UK ebay, i suspect not actually released yet.
i just emailed commencal USA to ask them to offer it for sale on their site.

SM-BTE80.JPG

also asked if this is the correct replacement derailleur hanger, rare to see them included with new bikes but imo should be, can ruin your riding vacation. can't tell if it's a generic version. not easy to find on commencalusa.com btw.

will report back..
Sacha

W15RHRMETA_675.jpg

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
Not gonna lie this long wait is brutal. I was eyeing up the previous year model something fierce.
I hear ya, I've been looking at getting the new Commencal since July and when pre-orders said September to October delivery I thought sweeeet, but then the EP8 debacle soon squashed that, I guess I am lucky enough to have my 2019 Trance so I shouldn't moan too much. I would love to get it before Christmas as I will have a week off work to go riding.

bazmacdonald

Jul 3, 2020
Inveness
Does anyone have any contact email addresses or direct numbers for Commencal in europe, been trying to contact them to upgrade my bike order but having trouble getting a reply, even the bike shop is having trouble getting a reply back from them also, thanks for your help :)

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
for stealth users note how the battery cover & left downtube power button mostly disappear in the black frame vs previous aqua color.
Which I why I have matching "electric lagoon" paint ready to go to paint the battery cover (will continue the aqua/white pattern and hope for a seamless look).

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
Commencal New Zealand shows Nov 15 as delivery date. Any future owners from NZ here?

I did some store searching and found that as well!

The UK store is showing Essential model as 15th December again and the Team model is 15th November, as the Signature has sold out there is no way of seeing a proposed delivery date for this model. If mine turns up unexpected mid November I'll be very happy!

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
awesome idea, could you share the paint spec/vendor?
myperfectcolor.com I got the color info from Commencal, they said this would be the closest match. Commencal does not sell the paint.

Hedrix Fast Dry Acrylic Enamel Spray Paint
Match of Pantone PMS 2237 C *
Quality: Premium
Sheen: Gloss
Size: 11oz Spray

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

20mm difference in chainstay length is fairly big but...
Don't fret it. Honestly.
Obviously longer stays = more stable/planted. Shorter=more tippy/playful but anything between 430 and 450mm is completely acceptible.
FWIW I switch between mtbs with stays of 400, 430, 440 and 444mm all the time and weight distribution becomes instinctive almost imediately.
Any decent ride can still go fast in the rough with a shorter stay and still manual and ride playfully with a longer stay.
your own personal set-up, control point positioning and chosen frame sizing preferences make far more of a difference.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Hey guys, I have a quick question and I am a bit stuck on this. After loads of research, I finally decided to order a Commencal Meta Power Öhlins edition :). However, the wait is killing me, I saw now that the RockShox version, the Meta Power Team edition will be in stock from the 15th of November. I genuinely don't know what to do, wait for 4 more months(or more if something goes wrong), or change the order. What would you do? Also, it is a 500EU difference at the end of the day.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles