Brake recommendations

kefconstruction

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
Hi all
After some advice on a brake upgrade currently running trp trail evos, and these are leaking from the lever, been trying to bleed them for a week wondering why the air won't come out, so been looking around and really like the hope tech 4 v4 they'll be going on a Whyte e160

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Any well maintained 4 piston brake set......Xt if you like more of an on off feel....sram rsc if you like more modulated feel. One feature I would not be without is adjustable contact point.
Personally I have code rsc on both my bikes. ( Whyte e160RSX). Front is largely maintenance free, rear needs simple piston clean every few rides in the winter (uk) but only occasionally in summer.

P.s on virtually any off road surface other than tarmac stopping power is mostly limited by tyre grip and that depends on tyre choice and rider weight distribution. The exception to that is long descents where heat build up can have a detrimental effect. Size and thickness of rotors are the main ways to deliver better heat sinks.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It would be a shame to ditch the brakes that may be OK, try this:

For a lever bleed, try tying down the lever with a zip tie or a strong rubber band and leave overnight. Hang the bike up so that there is a continuous upward path for any air bubbles to flow from the caliper to the lever. This is especially important for the rear brake, due to the convoluted path. You may have to rotate the lever assembly and move the bars to assist this upward flow.

Then follow the usual procedure; tapping and rotating etc.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It would be a shame to ditch the brakes that may be OK, try this:

For a lever bleed, try tying down the lever with a zip tie or a strong rubber band and leave overnight. Hang the bike up so that there is a continuous upward path for any air bubbles to flow from the caliper to the lever. This is especially important for the rear brake, due to the convoluted path. You may have to rotate the lever assembly and move the bars to assist this upward flow.

Then follow the usual procedure; tapping and rotating etc.
But it sounds like he has a leaking master cylinder.
Replacement lever can be bought for £65

Screenshot_20241020-170217_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

kefconstruction

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
That's what I'm thinking, it's off to shop Friday see if they can do anything but I think it will be a new rear brake but will see what they say, with it been the rear don't think it's worth doing myself as will have to drop motor etc

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
But it sounds like he has a leaking master cylinder.
Wouldn’t that cause a slow lever fade? …depending on the severity of the leak.

If you want maintenance free, or service free brakes, don’t get Magura MT7’s. Regular lever bleeds may be necessary.

But with the right Magura rotors and setup properly they are a fantastic brake system.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That's what I'm thinking, it's off to shop Friday see if they can do anything but I think it will be a new rear brake but will see what they say, with it been the rear don't think it's worth doing myself as will have to drop motor etc
Not if you just replace the lever. Disconnect the hose from the existing lever, fit new lever and connect hose to new lever...then bleed...job done

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Hi all
After some advice on a brake upgrade currently running trp trail evos, and these are leaking from the lever, been trying to bleed them for a week wondering why the air won't come out, so been looking around and really like the hope tech 4 v4 they'll be going on a Whyte e160
I've run Shimano XTR's for 15 years, analogue and E-bike, never an issue, find something that works and stick with it.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I run Hayes dominion a4's with with uberbike race matrix pads and magura mdrp rotors. I love this combo and friends who've ridden my bike comment on how well the brakes work. I used to run shimano saints till I got tired of leaky masters and no warranty from shimano.

D

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
My current favourite is the Hope T4V4 with the vented rotors, I’ve had them on my Levo for about 6 months now. I tried the Maven ultimates for about a week and the Hopes went right back on. I have a mixture of brakes though; Code RSCs on 2 bikes, Magura MT7s on 2 bikes and Shimano XTs on the other 2. I’ll eventually swap everything to Hopes though, and any new bikes I build will be on Hope brakes.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
My current favourite is the Hope T4V4 with the vented rotors, I’ve had them on my Levo for about 6 months now. I tried the Maven ultimates for about a week and the Hopes went right back on. I have a mixture of brakes though; Code RSCs on 2 bikes, Magura MT7s on 2 bikes and Shimano XTs on the other 2. I’ll eventually swap everything to Hopes though, and any new bikes I build will be on Hope brakes.
What didnt you like about the Mavens?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
What didnt you like about the Mavens?
I was getting bad arm pump using them, tried all different positions and it didn’t make a difference. The arm pump went away as soon as I put the Hopes back on so it was definitely something with the brakes. Luckily I got them at cost and had the ultimate kit before it was available in the UK, I was able to sell them and make a nice chunk of cash.

Shimano will be releasing the new Saints soon, I’ll probably give those a go to see how they perform too.

kefconstruction

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
Really good replay to what people are running, sounds as tho everyone has a different preference to what they use and how they feel,
Regarding my trp I just got bike back today from shop (dalby bike barn) guys in there are really helpful, they found the seal on reservoir wasnt right so they sorted that out and bleed the brake I must have missed it when I was trying to bleed it, which was the reason air was continuously getting in, feels a million times better, so will see how it rides this week, if still not happy with it think I'll go the hope route!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles