Aftermarket brake fittings

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I have bought a pair of Hope brake kits but I’m sure that I’ll need to shorten the rear hose as well as definitely needing to shorten the front hose, anyway my question is about aftermarket brake hose parts, are they any good or should I stick to OEM parts, I saw this kit on eBay for around £8 and just wondering what to do, so as ever it’s over to you guys please

CE71C1AB-34B9-4E0C-A0B6-A697DF52C0EC.png

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
If the parts are the correct size etc then all you need to do is cut the hoses super clean, do not crush .
Good luck....

Split olives can be a bit rubbish tho....

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks for your reply mate, after all that I might not need to buy any just yet, I read the small print and it says somewhere that these brakes come with spare parts, I have a Park Tool hydraulic hose cutting tool which is as new as possible so there shouldn’t be any issues with that, do you think I’ll need a tool to push the barbed fittings in or will a firm hand be sufficient please

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
If the hose tool is like a small vice hold the hose with it then tap the hose fitting in with a flat surface like a cutlery knife. Be careful not to damage the hose liner on doing so and do not score the outer hose when holding as this is where the olive seals the fluid.
I use a very clean tiny tack hammer to put the inserts in.
Don't score the inserts either when tapping them into the hose . They need to be soomth to seal .
Hope all that makes sense
I have an old magura tool which is like two Lego bricks and a hole through so I can sandwich the hose in-between then grip the plastic brick for pushing the hose inserts in without damaging the outer hose

Probably a good idea to put the fittings and olive on before tapping in the hose inserts

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
If the hose tool is like a small vice hold the hose with it then tap the hose fitting in with a flat surface like a cutlery knife. Be careful not to damage the hose liner on doing so and do not score the outer hose when holding as this is where the olive seals the fluid.
I use a very clean tiny tack hammer to put the inserts in.
Don't score the inserts either when tapping them into the hose . They need to be soomth to seal .
Hope all that makes sense
I have an old magura tool which is like two Lego bricks and a hole through so I can sandwich the hose in-between then grip the plastic brick for pushing the hose inserts in without damaging the outer hose

Probably a good idea to put the fittings and olive on before tapping in the hose inserts
Many thanks indeed for your feedback mate, yes all that makes sense and I will use these methods on my brake hoses, hopefully it’ll work for me too, failing that I will buy the tool for the job 👍😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles