Brake problem

ari

Mar 1, 2024
Australia
Just fitted some secondhand rear brakes , the lever feels solid but needs to be pumped once to get braking happening[bled it 100 times , no air definitely ] , the thing is the caliper is a 4 pot and master cylinder is from a 2 pot system, so , is there differences with the 4 and 2 systems??[asking for a friend if its a noob question]:eek:

Anders

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2023
Norway
The thing is the caliper is a 4 pot and master cylinder is from a 2 pot system, so , is there differences with the 4 and 2 systems??[asking for a friend if its a noob question]:eek:

I think your friend has the answer right there

As a general rule, I would say that a 4-pot caliper has a bigger piston area, hence need more oil volume to move the pistons the necessary distance.
That would generally need a bigger piston in a 4-pot mastee than in a 2-pot master. If your master cylinder's piston is too small, I guess you would get the behavior that you describe.

Reactions: ari

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
it could just be that the pads are worn, the pistons need to be eased out. could be that there's not enough fluid, so it will create a vacuum to suck the pistons back, so maybe take the master cylinder plug out and put your syringe in or pot whatever you use to bleed in. Then pump the pistons out.
Another way to do it is to strap the leaver to the bars (close to) once the pads have connected to the disc and leave for a few hours. (again I do this while I have the pot in the leaver)

Reactions: ari

ari

Mar 1, 2024
Australia
it could just be that the pads are worn, the pistons need to be eased out. could be that there's not enough fluid, so it will create a vacuum to suck the pistons back, so maybe take the master cylinder plug out and put your syringe in or pot whatever you use to bleed in. Then pump the pistons out.
Another way to do it is to strap the leaver to the bars (close to) once the pads have connected to the disc and leave for a few hours. (again I do this while I have the pot in the leaver)
I'll give that a go , thanks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles