Best way to transport E bikes without lifting

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Thanks. Yes, the bikes we are getting have a walk mode, although I wondered how well that would work up a ramp. I'm happy to push it up a bit, just don't want to lift too much, although I could lift one end.

I really, really wanted to get a lighter bike. After we ordered these I found a lighter (and better) bike, and I should still be able to cancel, as the dealers said they weren't sending the order until tomorrow, but they are being weird. But my wife wants to stick with these bikes anyway.
We started with 80lbs ebikes and hated them. They worked well but managing the weight turned out to just not be practical. My wife, who has been riding mountain bikes for decades, worried about crashing and not being able to get out from under the bike. So I highly recommend a light bike.
Regardless our solution was to ge
Regardless our solution was to get a hitch rack and simply lift one wheel at a time into the hoops. Cuts the weight in half.
But another option is to get an rv cargo hitch mounted platform with a ramp. Like folks use to carry light motorcycles.
The hitch racks are much lower to the ground so ramp or lifting one wheel at a time is not as high as trying to get it into a vehicle.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
We started with 80lbs ebikes and hated them. They worked well but managing the weight turned out to just not be practical. My wife, who has been riding mountain bikes for decades, worried about crashing and not being able to get out from under the bike. So I highly recommend a light bike.
Regardless our solution was to ge
Regardless our solution was to get a hitch rack and simply lift one wheel at a time into the hoops. Cuts the weight in half.
But another option is to get an rv cargo hitch mounted platform with a ramp. Like folks use to carry light motorcycles.
The hitch racks are much lower to the ground so ramp or lifting one wheel at a time is not as high as trying to get it into a vehicle.
Thanks. Yes, I was shocked at how much some of them weigh. I was trying to stay as close to 50 lbs as possible, and was all set until we decided to go full suspension. The bikes we are getting (Giant Stance) are pushing 60 lbs (based on reviews, Giant doesn't publish weights). Trek has a couple lighter bikes on sale but my wife didn't like them.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
Thanks everyone again. When I started this I was thinking about the protection from the elements that a van or trailer offers, I hadn't thought about the amount of money out in the open on a rack. For longer trips someday I hope to get a toy hauler, but until then I thought about a small utility trailer. But not sure I want to hassle with that for day trips, where I'll usually be either riding or driving, so security isn't as much of an issue. Of course putting a rack on is inconvenient too. So I'm still thinking of a van option but limited choices in my price range.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
I have the Quikr out of Colorado. They license the 1up design but made it better. They sell a ramp that attaches to the rack to you roll your ebike up, which I bought for my wife.
The rack is fantastic. Super quick to take on /off. Plus they’ll match the keys each time you buy. Nothing better.
Interesting! The easy on/off is appealing, although it is a bit pricey, especially $250 for the ramp!

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
I found another interesting rack option, right in my neighborhood actually. Not sure if they are actually shipping yet or not.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
Well, it took a while longer than hoped to get a vehicle. Although I wanted a van I got a truck, so am back to hitch racks. I could possibly put the bikes in the truck bed with a little front wheel rack, although I'm not not sure it's long enough, and it might be a little harder to get them in. I tried lifting one end of the bike at a time as suggested and it really isn't that bad, but a truck bed is probably higher than a hitch rack. And I'm surprised how easy it is to raise the front by locking the rear break. Note that I weighed our bikes and they are a 59-60 lbs, so not lightweights.

But my wife still thinks we should get a non-lift solution. Riding up a motorcycle ramp seems a bit dangerous, and I'm not sure I could hang on to the walk mode button all the way up, unless I got two ramps and walked up with it.

As far as hitch racks go, she really likes the powered rack I mentioned above. They are local and we may go see them today, but very expensive. There is another powered vertical rack in Canada, but also expensive and shipping is crazy. BIKE eRACK® Self-Loading Bike Racks | Made in Canada

As far as ramps with a regular hitch rack goes, one problem is usually you alternate the bikes for clearance, and the walk mode is only available on one side. So not sure how that is supposed to work. Racks with tiered tray heights can help with this, or racks with lots of spacing between the trays.

Another issue is off-road and RV use. Most racks are either not rated for it or have very reduced ratings. We were planning on getting a trailer someday, although a toy hauler is an option. I don't plan on a lot of off-road use, but some dirt roads are a possibility.

And another issue is the weight of the rack itself, taking it on and off my truck. Many are more than the bike.

So, here are the results of my research. There are other racks but most just aren't rated that great for various reasons.
  • Kuat NV 2.0 - I understand the tray spacing is narrow, although I will measure it today. No mention of RV or off-road use that I can find.
  • Thule T2 Pro XTR - apparently you can't use their ramp with it.
  • Yakima OnRamp LX - high capacity but only rated for 48 lbs off road.
  • Yakima StageTwo - Tiered trays, higher than ideal weight, only 42 lbs off road.
  • Velocirax 3X - their headquarters are right near where I used to live, and I go up there regularly. The videos make it look really easy but it still seems like you need to lift the weight of the bike a little. But the rack is heavy and only rated for 55 lbs.
  • Kayenta Outdoors electric Load'n'Lift - no need for ramp, expensive, reliability?? RV use is limited to when the hitch is no more than 5' from the axle, which seems unrealistic. No mention of off-road.
  • Quikr Mach 2 - expensive, I didn't pursue other specs
  • RockyMounts Gigawatt - At local dealer, 80 lb capacity, wide tray spacing, slightly reduced RV rating when hitch is more than 8' from axle. Higher than ideal weight.
  • 1up Heavy Duty - probably the best option. Light weight, good capacity, full rating for RV/off road. Not sure what tray spacing is, and not sure about delivery time.

Last edited:

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Well, it took a while longer than hoped to get a vehicle. Although I wanted a van I got a truck, so am back to hitch racks. I could possibly put the bikes in the truck bed with a little front wheel rack, although I'm not not sure it's long enough, and it might be a little harder to get them in. I tried lifting one end of the bike at a time as suggested and it really isn't that bad, but a truck bed is probably higher than a hitch rack. And I'm surprised how easy it is to raise the front by locking the rear break. Note that I weighed our bikes and they are a 59-60 lbs, so not lightweights.

But my wife still thinks we should get a non-lift solution. Riding up a motorcycle ramp seems a bit dangerous, and I'm not sure I could hang on to the walk mode button all the way up, unless I got two ramps and walked up with it.

As far as hitch racks go, she really likes the powered rack I mentioned above. They are local and we may go see them today, but very expensive. There is another powered vertical rack in Canada, but also expensive and shipping is crazy. BIKE eRACK® Self-Loading Bike Racks | Made in Canada

As far as ramps with a regular hitch rack goes, one problem is usually you alternate the bikes for clearance, and the walk mode is only available on one side. So not sure how that is supposed to work. Racks with tiered tray heights can help with this, or racks with lots of spacing between the trays.

Another issue is off-road and RV use. Most racks are either not rated for it or have very reduced ratings. We were planning on getting a trailer someday, although a toy hauler is an option. I don't plan on a lot of off-road use, but some dirt roads are a possibility.

And another issue is the weight of the rack itself, taking it on and off my truck. Many are more than the bike.

So, here are the results of my research. There are other racks but most just aren't rated that great for various reasons.
  • Kuat NV 2.0 - I understand the tray spacing is narrow, although I will measure it today. No mention of RV or off-road use that I can find.
  • Thule T2 Pro XTR - apparently you can't use their ramp with it.
  • Yakima OnRamp LX - high capacity but only rated for 48 lbs off road.
  • Yakima StageTwo - Tiered trays, higher than ideal weight, only 42 lbs off road.
  • Velocirax 3X - their headquarters are right near where I used to live, and I go up there regularly. The videos make it look really easy but it still seems like you need to lift the weight of the bike a little. But the rack is heavy and only rated for 55 lbs.
  • Kayenta Outdoors electric Load'n'Lift - no need for ramp, expensive, reliability?? RV use is limited to when the hitch is no more than 5' from the axle, which seems unrealistic. No mention of off-road.
  • Quikr Mach 2 - expensive, I didn't pursue other specs
  • RockyMounts Gigawatt - At local dealer, 80 lb capacity, wide tray spacing, slightly reduced RV rating when hitch is more than 8' from axle. Higher than ideal weight.
  • 1up Heavy Duty - probably the best option. Light weight, good capacity, full rating for RV/off road. Not sure what tray spacing is, and not sure about delivery time.
On your future RV selection, I highly recommend the toy hauler...and I don't necessarily mean the huge, 5th wheel monsters. I've had different pull-behind RV's over years, but the best choice I ever made was a medium sized toy hauler. Now, while I'm also a motorcycle guy, the beauty of the toy hauler is that open space in back that can be turned into whatever you want. Most of the furnishings in reasonably priced RV's is pretty sorry IMO. The open back let's you set it up however you want.

Then there's the open back end with the screen system that's usually installed that gives you a patio/porch like setting which is awesome when the weather and conditions are favorable. I can take my emtb or my dirt motor or both. I didn't go with any slideouts, as most any of them add about 1000 pounds at least.
IMG_20230506_080948862_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230512_192342738_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230513_164750717_HDR.jpg

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
On your future RV selection, I highly recommend the toy hauler...and I don't necessarily mean the huge, 5th wheel monsters. I've had different pull-behind RV's over years, but the best choice I ever made was a medium sized toy hauler. Now, while I'm also a motorcycle guy, the beauty of the toy hauler is that open space in back that can be turned into whatever you want. Most of the furnishings in reasonably priced RV's is pretty sorry IMO. The open back let's you set it up however you want.

Then there's the open back end with the screen system that's usually installed that gives you a patio/porch like setting which is awesome when the weather and conditions are favorable. I can take my emtb or my dirt motor or both. I didn't go with any slideouts, as most any of them add about 1000 pounds at least.
Thanks! I mentioned this to my wife and she liked the idea and we actually went and looked at one yesterday. I only have a half-ton truck so that limits me quite a bit, especially due to the heavy tongue weight of most toy haulers. But it looks like there are some options. Not sure when we'll actually get something though.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Thanks! I mentioned this to my wife and she liked the idea and we actually went and looked at one yesterday. I only have a half-ton truck so that limits me quite a bit, especially due to the heavy tongue weight of most toy haulers. But it looks like there are some options. Not sure when we'll actually get something though.
Yes, you're right to consider weight, but the 26' toy hauler pictured here has been towed by a 1/2 ton 2012 Ram since 2014 all over the U.S. coast-to-coast over many trips since we've been retired since then. The Ram does have a hemi which helps, but if you're judicious about the weight of the RV, a 1/2 ton PU can pull a decently sized RV. The load leveling, sway control hitches these days are pretty amazing.

I recommend staying away from slideouts and not going too long. My RV here weighs 4400 pounds empty. A lot of RV's and especially toy haulers have a lot of unnecessary weight in furnishings, lots of beds, etc. Really a toy hauler should be a big empty box with a kitchen, bathroom, and bed. I pulled all the unnecessary stuff out. Now if you have kids, you may need an extra bed or two. But I will say if you pick the right toy hauler, you don't need a diesel truck to pull it.
IMG_20230422_170523775_HDR.jpg

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
Yes, you're right to consider weight, but the 26' toy hauler pictured here has been towed by a 1/2 ton 2012 Ram since 2014 all over the U.S. coast-to-coast over many trips since we've been retired since then. The Ram does have a hemi which helps, but if you're judicious about the weight of the RV, a 1/2 ton PU can pull a decently sized RV. The load leveling, sway control hitches these days are pretty amazing.

I recommend staying away from slideouts and not going too long. My RV here weighs 4400 pounds empty. A lot of RV's and especially toy haulers have a lot of unnecessary weight in furnishings, lots of beds, etc. Really a toy hauler should be a big empty box with a kitchen, bathroom, and bed. I pulled all the unnecessary stuff out. Now if you have kids, you may need an extra bed or two. But I will say if you pick the right toy hauler, you don't need a diesel truck to pull it.
Thanks for the encouragement. Wow that's really light for that size. The ones are are looking at older and shorter but about 1000 lbs heavier. I'm mostly worried about tongue weight but we probably don't need to carry a full tank of water. It's just the two of us.

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Hitch rack with ramps is the way to go. The least compromises, cheapest option and simplest.

Thule make great racks and e-mtb specific versions.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Hitch rack with ramps is the way to go. The least compromises, cheapest option and simplest.

Thule make great racks and e-mtb specific versions.
On the need for a ramp may depend on the design of the hitch rack. I mentioned earlier that if you have a rack that will clamp the front wheel, you can pull the rear brake and stand the bike up on its rear wheel. Walk the bike on its rear wheel up to the rack and set the front wheel in the tray. Use the clamp for the front wheel to hold the bike while you only have to lift the back wheel into the other wheel tray on the rack. No lift of the whole bike is required, and with the front wheel captured, you have easier leverage to lift the rear wheel on to the tray. Pretty easy.

Most good hitch racks have trays and front wheel clamping designs that will allow this method. I use this method on my hitch rack for my local area rides, and it could be used anywhere you have a hitch rack mounted so that you don't have to lift the whole bike.

jrvide

Jul 15, 2024
Portugal
Hi. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Elite has one towbar rack that inclines and allow the bike to roll. It's suitable for bikes up to 30kg each. I have one and works perfectly.

1724341147510.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles