Anyone removed the Trek Rail Battery Lock?

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
I've got a '21 rail 7 and I'm happy with that fitment. It's for a 625Wh battery, and not the 750Wh, correct?

If the 750 uses identical part numbers for the lock mechanism I can’t see why it wouldn’t fit both. Though fitting the battery top first as you need to involves a little more faffing (bit of a wiggle and pushing the bottom in and down on an angle) it’d be nice to know the 750 drops in the same.
Obviously yes my ‘21 7 is a 625 and is a confirmed fit.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Anyone removing a battery lock mech to save 360 grams of weight is friggin looney tunes. You are saving 360 paper clips worth of weight. Better off shaving and taking a dump before you ride. The things people do to save this kind of weight is mind boggling. What exactly is the benefit of this amazing weight savings?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Anyone removing a battery lock mech to save 360 grams of weight is friggin looney tunes. You are saving 360 paper clips worth of weight. Better off shaving and taking a dump before you ride. The things people do to save this kind of weight is mind boggling. What exactly is the benefit of this amazing weight savings?
Hah wow, I believe here most are looking to secure the battery better and the weight saving is just a side benefit of that. Battery rattle and feeling more secure within the downtube and not having to faff about with a key would be the main benefits in removing the lock all IMO of course.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
You are missing the point. Maybe read a few threads on the forum before wading in with such an I’ll informed remark.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
We ride ebikes weight saving on static components is futile. However if you think anyone in this thread is replacing the lock for weight saving. Then you either didn’t read the thread or are frankly trolling.

I want the lock gone to reduce the risk of battery departure, reduce rattles, to improve fitment and reduce complexity. If it saves weight then that’s a bonus, but frankly I couldn’t careless if it added 500g

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
Ok here’s version 2.
I decided using 6mm angle and relieving some material was the way forward.

Battery interface holes are 6.0mm to allow for some adjustment, but fits perfectly on my bike with it located centrally, using CS screws.

The bottom battery mount is adjustable up and down the down tube around 2mm. So I set mine right in the middle which should allow for variations between individual bikes.

6283E4B3-B743-40FC-B7DD-1E286F8E1F6C.jpeg AC317191-6147-4EA4-9F3B-19B8C84E8B76.jpeg 2B31AAD9-DFFE-4F5D-81DC-30E6FB99BDAC.jpeg 22527755-DF07-4DEB-A409-64A18B643AF3.jpeg 97F584FF-A924-4F7B-9665-3D3F2A18EC59.jpeg D6E354DE-2911-42A3-B0F9-B4F59F518D75.jpeg

Last edited:

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
Ok so I’ve made a jig and can now replicate these little guys. Are we able to confirm that all 13 interested parties are happy with the product?
I will make this initial run for £30 each plus postage (or the equivalent from where you are) but after this lot I’d say the price would go up as there is some time in the fabrication.

Or obviously if you prefer to wait for the cnc product?

I can have them done in a week.

I’ve looked up international shipping and it certainly looks like I will need to send all units to your continent and have someone distribute.

Can those of you who put your hand up check what it’s going to cost an average to road freight to each person so we can work out the deal.

Is it only North Americans and Europeans on the list?

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
Certainly winning the forum award of the week for being creative and productive whist being off the bike. How's the injury's ?

Thanks Zimmerframe, this project may have been born out of boredom .

These injuries aren’t much fun to be honest, the broken back doesn’t seem to be nearly as painful as the internal injuries. I can perform light duties but cannot lay down, I’m getting about 3 hrs sleep a night.

Dave_B

Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
are you going to drill and tap these two holes?

previous conversations were suggesting that tolerance levels on the bike may require each user to drill and tap their own holes?

2022-10-19_10-47-09.png

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I’d like one but I’m in the arse end of the world and cost plus freight would probably be close to £100. I’ve already decided 2 years on the rail and I’ll buy a lightweight Ebike.

New design looks great though. Well done to @Arron M

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
are you going to drill and tap these two holes?

previous conversations were suggesting that tolerance levels on the bike may require each user to drill and tap their own holes?

View attachment 99599

My plan is to drill and tap these holes as not everyone has the tools to do so.
Since there is adjustment in the bottom battery mount to move the battery assembly up and down the down tube and I have built adjustment into the bracket itself I believe there is enough flexibility to cater for small manufacturing variations in the bike, I’d be surprised if tolerances in this area were over 1.0mm.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Ok here’s version 2.
I decided using 6mm angle and relieving some material was the way forward.

Battery interface holes are 6.0mm to allow for some adjustment, but fits perfectly on my bike with it located centrally, using CS screws.

The bottom battery mount is adjustable up and down the down tube around 2mm. So I set mine right in the middle which should allow for variations between individual bikes.

View attachment 99577 View attachment 99578 View attachment 99579 View attachment 99580 View attachment 99581 View attachment 99582
Could you machine out 'pockets' or cut outs on the flat parts. You know save a few grams more but not sacrifice strength. I mean that the flat part with the 4 screws doesnt look like its under any strain, so maybe less metal there wont matter.
Just a thought..

Dave_B

Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
the 750wh battery is 5Kg, so I would rather have too much metal for the strength in favor of losing only a few grams.

Apr 27, 2022
UK
I will, I can give everyone my PayPal address
@Dave_B just confirming, I'm still in. I'm away at work again until the end of November (at sea so no postal service!). Would you be able to hold on to mine until I got back to the UK? I can send payments through PayPal as suggested.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles