2024 Santa Cruz Heckler SL

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
All battery powered devices have vampire drain.

Not sure why your buddy is shocked. Hasn't he ever owned literally anything with batteries before?

Li-Ion batteries typically have a discharge rate of 1.5-5% a month depending on the temp where the battery is stored. These bikes are draining 1-2% a day on a shop floor at room temp, definitely something wrong there.

Just for some context, I charged my spare battery to 50% 5 months ago and haven’t touched it since. I put it in my bike today and it was at 43%.

OZ-E

Jun 21, 2021
Australia
Struggling to pick a size on this bike.
I'm 5'9" and SC recommend the L for me but the reach looks a bit long.

I have a Mondraker Crafty M with 470mm and an Orbea Wild with 455mm

The wheelbase seems to suggest the Heckler L will suit me best.
I'm thinking a Large and a shorter stem but SC don't list the stem length.

Throwing it out here to possibly get some feedback on others experiences regarding size. Also if somebody can tell me the bar stem length.

tbones

Nov 14, 2023
Utah
I'm 5'10.5" and ride the medium. I have longer legs and a lot of seat post sticking out, but I love how the bike rides and feels.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Fellow Fazua owner (Relay) questions for those who have had a DU replacement

- What power mode do you ride in for your typical rides?
- How often are you checking your Engine temps?
- Have you been riding in the wet?
- Lunch laps on full Rocket, longer rides mostly River, default R60 profile
- What? I do make sure to keep the heatsink fins clear
- Dry weather is boring

By the way, I've still got the Lyrik you sold me years ago (pinkbike) running strong on the Sentinel 🤙

Dodger1

Oct 16, 2023
Devon. Uk
I’m 5’10 and have a medium, I also have long legs so more seatpost.
When I test rode the heckler sl at my local shop I also tried a large Bronson and HighTower for size comparison and I liked both sizes but the Medium just felt a little more nimble under me.

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA
Another update on my order: medium, GX AXS, magenta

Original shipping ETA was the beginning of May. Just received an update from my LBS that the ship date has been moved back to middle of July. Horrible news.

However, the S build is in stock and ready to ship. Decided to roll with an S build. Main differences are: lack of transmission, race face wheels vs reserve AL, and brakes. I was planning on throwing a brand new set of Shimano saint brakes on the GX AXS build when it showed up. So main difference is going to be the wheel set. Might look into running the traditional GX AXS upgrade kit or buying a transmission groupset at a later date.

Just ready to ride the damn thing..

OZ-E

Jun 21, 2021
Australia
Unfortunately I can't get a test ride on one of these. I have tested the Focus Jam SL though.
Wondering if anyone here has ridden both and can give some feedback on the ride difference please.

Andeh

May 30, 2023
Half Moon Bay, CA
I just put a Vivid on my HSL - first ride it felt great. I checked with SC first that it would fit, and asked their thoughts on tune. They said they didn't have an official tune, but something similar to some of their other bikes would work well. So I found one with a C37 R25 tune (same as the one on my Nomad) and it feels spot on.

ehfour

Feb 28, 2024
Vancouver
- Lunch laps on full Rocket, longer rides mostly River, default R60 profile
- What? I do make sure to keep the heatsink fins clear
- Dry weather is boring

By the way, I've still got the Lyrik you sold me years ago (pinkbike) running strong on the Sentinel 🤙
Nice!

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA
My bike finally arrived and I have been able to get out a couple of times on it already. Such a fun bike. Loving how poppy and flickable it is - noticeable upgrade from the Transition relay in that regard.

I had a matte ride wrap kit laying around from when I first ordered the bike last fall (originally ordered the grey color), decided to put it on before my first ride. It definitely took some sparkle out of the magenta. Unsure how much I like it and am pondering replacing it with a clear wrap.

Had my LBS install shimano saint brakes when the bike arrived. First time on saints, must say I really like them in comparison to the codes I had ridden before.

Question for the group: how silent is your bike? Do you notice any rattle when descending? I am Not wondering about the quietness of the fazua motor. But I can't pin down where a rattle is coming from when I encounter repeated bumps. It sounds like cable rattle but I am having a hard time replicating it when not on the trail. I notice that Santa Cruz still isn't guiding the rear brake line through the rear triangle, so maybe that is the culprit or contributing. Contemplating placing some foam of sorts around all of the cables in the bottom of the frame. What have others done? What have you used?

View attachment 140185 View attachment IMG_2783.jpg

Last edited:

Andeh

May 30, 2023
Half Moon Bay, CA
My bike came with a foam tube in the rear triangle around the brake line already. Check with your shop if they left it in place. In terms of rattles, mine is mostly pretty quiet - every now and then I hear something, but not certain where it's coming from. If I had to guess, it's from the excess ring controller cable up loose in the head tube area. When I had the lower guard / battery hatch off during brake install, the cables seemed pretty well secured down there.

Marshall Willanholly

Subscriber
Oct 24, 2022
Oregon
My bike came with a foam tube in the rear triangle around the brake line already. Check with your shop if they left it in place. In terms of rattles, mine is mostly pretty quiet - every now and then I hear something, but not certain where it's coming from. If I had to guess, it's from the excess ring controller cable up loose in the head tube area. When I had the lower guard / battery hatch off during brake install, the cables seemed pretty well secured down there.
How difficult was the brake install? I’ve got some Mavens waiting for my SL to arrive, hopefully this week!

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA
Although I didn't install my brakes, it looks pretty simple. Front triangle is completely guided. To make it a breeze, you can cut the old hose right before the rear caliper and attach the new hose directly to the old hose. Pull through from there. Pretty sure you could figure it by completely pulling the old line out first, but finding the brake guide behind the battery might be more tricky that way.
How difficult was the brake install? I’ve got some Mavens waiting for my SL to arrive, hopefully this week!

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
My bike finally arrived and I have been able to get out a couple of times on it already. Such a fun bike. Loving how poppy and flickable it is - noticeable upgrade from the Transition relay in that regard.

I had a matte ride wrap kit laying around from when I first ordered the bike last fall (originally ordered the grey color), decided to put it on before my first ride. It definitely took some sparkle out of the magenta. Unsure how much I like it and am pondering replacing it with a clear wrap.

Had my LBS install shimano saint brakes when the bike arrived. First time on saints, must say I really like them in comparison to the codes I had ridden before.

Question for the group: how silent is your bike? Do you notice any rattle when descending? I am Not wondering about the quietness of the fazua motor. But I can't pin down where a rattle is coming from when I encounter repeated bumps. It sounds like cable rattle but I am having a hard time replicating it when not on the trail. I notice that Santa Cruz still isn't guiding the rear brake line through the rear triangle, so maybe that is the culprit or contributing. Contemplating placing some foam of sorts around all of the cables in the bottom of the frame. What have others done? What have you used?

View attachment 140185 View attachment 140186
Silent for the first few months then it developed a creak and a rattle. It took some time to isolate the two sounds. The creak is coming from the fork (CSU issue - annoying, no way to fix). The rattle was caused by one of the cables contacting the battery. I added some foam around the cable and problem solved.

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA
Silent for the first few months then it developed a creak and a rattle. It took some time to isolate the two sounds. The creak is coming from the fork (CSU issue - annoying, no way to fix). The rattle was caused by one of the cables contacting the battery. I added some foam around the cable and problem solved.

Did you just add foam around the cables behind the battery guard, or up higher than that behind the battery?

Andeh

May 30, 2023
Half Moon Bay, CA
Although I didn't install my brakes, it looks pretty simple. Front triangle is completely guided. To make it a breeze, you can cut the old hose right before the rear caliper and attach the new hose directly to the old hose. Pull through from there. Pretty sure you could figure it by completely pulling the old line out first, but finding the brake guide behind the battery might be more tricky that way.
It's more difficult than you'd think compared to SC trail bikes. Rear triangle gets a foam sleeve stuffed down inside, then the rubber grommet fitted around it and the speed sensor wire. After the brake hose enters the front triangle, there's about 2-3" before it enters a guide tube, which is tucked up above the battery. There is a fairly sharp bend getting up to it, so there's no way that you can just feed it in the hole and hit the guide tube. I took off the bottom cover, fed the brake line through and out the bottom hatch. Then I dropped a Park Tool Internal Routing Tool line down from the head tube, and attached the brake line to it, and used that to guide it into the start of the guide tube. Once you get it into the guide tube, you can just shove it up from the open hatch and out the top. Then you reinstall the hatch.

Rodres

May 1, 2024
Lisbon, PT
I've just replaced the brakes on mine (trying out shigura) and agree it's not as simple as the trail bikes. In my 5010 you just had to push the line in and it would follow the routing.

In this one you do have to remove and reinstall the foam on the rear triangle - quite easy - and then have some sort of guidance when you remove the motor cover to send line beneath the battery.

Not having the proper tools I just put half a toothpick in the new brake line, old brake line in through head tube, insert that into the toothpick, put some tape around it and slowly push the new one in. All done.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles