2024 Santa Cruz Heckler SL

mfa81

Nov 12, 2021
Boise, ID
10 mm longer fork slackens hta by about 0.5° and shortens reach. Stem is coming closer to you. Think about it 😉
shortens reach but not the toptube length since the sta slackens as well. but yes, shorter reach, longer toptube for seated position riding which is what I'm more concerned about. I'm riding a M hightower V3 which is longer than the previous V2 I had, the hackler now is even longer... getting close to the limit but if I would to size down to a small it's definitely gonna feel too cramped for me

Sebov

Jul 24, 2022
Bavaria
shortens reach but not the toptube length since the sta slackens as well. but yes, shorter reach, longer toptube for seated position riding which is what I'm more concerned about. I'm riding a M hightower V3 which is longer than the previous V2 I had, the hackler now is even longer... getting close to the limit but if I would to size down to a small it's definitely gonna feel too cramped for me
I have the same problems. 450 - 455 mm Reach for M is actually my preferred range.

Sebov

Jul 24, 2022
Bavaria
Whats your build gonna be? Thinking of going this route as well. Weight difference between c and cc is probably only 2-300g?
RS Ultimate suspension. Code RSC with Trickstuff discs and pads. SRAM X01 cable group with XX1 chain (for all black). DT XM 481/EX 511 rims with DT 350 hubs custom wheel set. Old Newmen Cockpit (SL Alu parts).
Don‘t care about C vs CC weight because of the E. But I don‘t like the C/CC concept. Specialized is better in this regard.

just got mine in the other day I got the x0 reserve cc build had a chance to get a few rides on it , before this model I had a pivot shuttle sl team build , quick comparison if your a very aggressive rider that loves the most rocky steep tech terrain the heckler sl is for you the bike smoothes out the trails night and day compared to the shuttle sl , for me jumps totaly amazing compared to the shuttle the heckler sl wants to pop off everything the suspension is much more active with the Rockshox ultimate front and rear on the other hand the pivot is about 3 lbs lighter gets up to speed alilttle quicker and maintains it with the full 29er but once the trails get rocky and steep going down the shuttle sl quickly reaches its limits with a very nervous rear I tried a ext storia coil which calmed it some what but in this dept the heckler sl is night and day calm controlled flattening out the gnar, the shuttle sl you will need better line choices compared to the heckler just flattening out the line I will take the more poppy and playful mullet setup vs the full 29 on the pivot for me jumping smashing rocky gnar and just poping off everything the trail has to offer is the perfect sl for me , I would have to say for my style of riding the heckler sl hit all the boxes the shuttle sl is a great bike to but thats depending on what the rider wants out of it ,so far I love the heckler sl it was money well spent and cant wait to get back out there again and push its limits more ,fazua ride 60 new firmware updates finally got it right since the Santa Cruz launch of the new heckler sl , smooth power , dead silent and much better super impressive range , hope this small review helps some sl owners .

Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 3.19.25 PM.png

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
...if your a very aggressive rider that loves the most rocky steep tech terrain the heckler sl is for you...

Yessss.... from where did you order? I've got the GX build on order and am (im)patiently checking my order status every day. Nice to see a bike that's landed.

Yessss.... from where did you order? I've got the GX build on order and am (im)patiently checking my order status every day. Nice to see a bike that's landed.
Piermont bike in ny has a gloss magenta instock gx medium build ready for pick up today ask for sunny and tell him al recommend you he will take care of you he's a great guy , if you need another size and build kit let him know he gets them fast , your gona love the bike .

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
just got mine in the other day I got the x0 reserve cc build had a chance to get a few rides on it , before this model I had a pivot shuttle sl team build , quick comparison if your a very aggressive rider that loves the most rocky steep tech terrain the heckler sl is for you the bike smoothes out the trails night and day compared to the shuttle sl , for me jumps totaly amazing compared to the shuttle the heckler sl wants to pop off everything the suspension is much more active with the Rockshox ultimate front and rear on the other hand the pivot is about 3 lbs lighter gets up to speed alilttle quicker and maintains it with the full 29er but once the trails get rocky and steep going down the shuttle sl quickly reaches its limits with a very nervous rear I tried a ext storia coil which calmed it some what but in this dept the heckler sl is night and day calm controlled flattening out the gnar, the shuttle sl you will need better line choices compared to the heckler just flattening out the line I will take the more poppy and playful mullet setup vs the full 29 on the pivot for me jumping smashing rocky gnar and just poping off everything the trail has to offer is the perfect sl for me , I would have to say for my style of riding the heckler sl hit all the boxes the shuttle sl is a great bike to but thats depending on what the rider wants out of it ,so far I love the heckler sl it was money well spent and cant wait to get back out there again and push its limits more ,fazua ride 60 new firmware updates finally got it right since the Santa Cruz launch of the new heckler sl , smooth power , dead silent and much better super impressive range , hope this small review helps some sl owners .

View attachment 125383

Real world weight with size and what that includes please (i.e. size, pedals, tires, bash guard, inserts, tools on board?).

Congrats and thanks!

A Happy Zeebra

Oct 1, 2023
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Picked up my Heckler this week. Did 30+ miles at the bike park. Geez this thing is fun. Really loves to jump and pop. Handles rough chatter so well. The FAZUA motor sits right where I expected for a SL, but had plenty of kick. Think all in all sits about 41bls given I did a lot of mods that got it little lighter but we are taking not by much. This is the “C” build size small.

My last bike was a LIV Intrigue Advanced 27.5. I’m 5’3” and generally had issue with bikes feeling too over the bike. This bike you feel very “in” it due to the geometry. I was wanting a little more progressive geo, mullet, light enough to lift over the tailgate of my truck but would get me up the hill. Love the Lyric fork with the damper 3, so smooth! This thing is fast, loves it rowdy, loves the bike park, and hit every expectation I had for it.
IMG_3497.jpeg

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Picked up my Heckler this week. Did 30+ miles at the bike park. Geez this thing is fun. Really loves to jump and pop. Handles rough chatter so well. The FAZUA motor sits right where I expected for a SL, but had plenty of kick. Think all in all sits about 41bls given I did a lot of mods that got it little lighter but we are taking not by much. This is the “C” build size small.

My last bike was a LIV Intrigue Advanced 27.5. I’m 5’3” and generally had issue with bikes feeling too over the bike. This bike you feel very “in” it due to the geometry. I was wanting a little more progressive geo, mullet, light enough to lift over the tailgate of my truck but would get me up the hill. Love the Lyric fork with the damper 3, so smooth! This thing is fast, loves it rowdy, loves the bike park, and hit every expectation I had for it.
Nice! What mods did you do?

A Happy Zeebra

Oct 1, 2023
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Nice! What mods did you do?
Swapped all the bolts to copper, matching copper cassette and chain, added my carbon bars, put my Rev grips on. 5Dev pedals. I want shorter cranks (155 or 160), but 5Dev is still working on the FAZUA 60 cranks and expect them to be able to ship soon. There is no frame wrap yet for this bike and my bike shop did a banger custom wrap that’s flawless. 👌🏼

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Mine arrived yesterday! Scrambled to get it built up for a shakedown ride after work. Not much to say yet, just bedding brakes and getting to know the bike. The paint finish looks great in person. Made a few cockpit adjustments after the ride and will have another go this morning using a custom assist profile to feel things out a bit more.

First impressions are positive - geometry is intuitive, suspension feel is firm but confident, descending is dead silent (no EP8 rattle-can here). Suspension will probably get firmed up a little bit from Santa Cruz's recommendation, I used all of it despite holding back to learn the bike. That said, I'm not sure when I used all of it so it manages it's travel well.

Motor noise is louder than I expected. I probably had unreasonable expectations based on reviews, but it's not silent. The character of it may have stood out since my ear is tuned to the EP8.

heckler-sl.jpg

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA
Mine arrived yesterday! Scrambled to get it built up for a shakedown ride after work. Not much to say yet, just bedding brakes and getting to know the bike. The paint finish looks great in person. Made a few cockpit adjustments after the ride and will have another go this morning using a custom assist profile to feel things out a bit more.

First impressions are positive - geometry is intuitive, suspension feel is firm but confident, descending is dead silent (no EP8 rattle-can here). Suspension will probably get firmed up a little bit from Santa Cruz's recommendation, I used all of it despite holding back to learn the bike. That said, I'm not sure when I used all of it so it manages it's travel well.

Motor noise is louder than I expected. I probably had unreasonable expectations based on reviews, but it's not silent. The character of it may have stood out since my ear is tuned to the EP8.

View attachment 126071

Great looking bike! Hoping that I get some positive news about mine delivering at the end of the week.

As far as the motor goes, I was previously on a transition relay. The motor was never "silent" but it was substantially quieter than my GFs specialized levo. I did notice the fazua motor being louder in the fastest mode - which makes sense. I also remember reading that fazua` claims the motor should get quieter over time while it breaks in. If you motor gets worse, it might be worth having a chat with your dealer/fazua.

A Happy Zeebra

Oct 1, 2023
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

View attachment 126071
Great bike. My FAZUA motor in my Heckler is the quietest of the most recent motors. Yeah it’s not silent but it’s pretty darn quiet. At the bike park I run it in medium support mode and it’s really hard to hear. In max support mode it’s more noticeable. Depends on how hard you work it. But even in its max effort it’s light years quieter than EP8z

Enjoy the bike I freakin’ love mine! Here is my first ride out

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Great bike. My FAZUA motor in my Heckler is the quietest of the most recent motors. Yeah it’s not silent but it’s pretty darn quiet. At the bike park I run it in medium support mode and it’s really hard to hear. In max support mode it’s more noticeable. Depends on how hard you work it. But even in its max effort it’s light years quieter than EP8z
Nice! After my ride this morning I decided something wasn’t right and sent Jenson a video with the sound. I have the expected whirr but also some clicking noises. Got a prompt reply saying they had a demo with similar noise, which needed cranks to be torqued. Fingers crossed it’s that easy - I’ll report back.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Anyone with an S build or GX AXS build happy with the Lyric Select+ fork and Super Deluxe Select+ shock? Who’s replacing the suspension with a FOX fork and FOX shock?

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Anyone with an S build or GX AXS build happy with the Lyric Select+ fork and Super Deluxe Select+ shock? Who’s replacing the suspension with a FOX fork and FOX shock?
It’s plenty good. I will eventually custom tune it because I always do, but not in a rush and won’t bother going Ultimate. Definitely not going Fox 😛 Might play with coil options.

First order of business for either of those build kits is a wheelset imo. I was hoping to like the Reserve SL AL set, but the bike outshreds it.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Only
It’s plenty good. I will eventually custom tune it because I always do, but not in a rush and won’t bother going Ultimate. Definitely not going Fox 😛 Might play with coil options.

First order of business for either of those build kits is a wheelset imo. I was hoping to like the Reserve SL AL set, but the bike outshreds
Thanks for feedback on suspension. All my bikes have been FOX. It’s hard to get a true read on the Select+ in a parking lot test ride.

I saw the S build has the RaceFace wheel set which I don’t care for. GX AXS build has the Reserve 30 SL AL wheel set…which has the lifetime warranty.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Only

Thanks for feedback on suspension. All my bikes have been FOX. It’s hard to get a true read on the Select+ in a parking lot test ride.

I saw the S build has the RaceFace wheel set which I don’t care for. GX AXS build has the Reserve 30 SL AL wheel set…which has the lifetime warranty.
Yeah. I’ve got along better with properly set up RS over the years but suspension is highly subjective. Especially on the fork, it is quite close to Ultimate level. I’ve only done a few rides but it’s performed well. I always prefer putting a custom tune that I don’t fiddle with into cheaper suspension parts, over paying more for knobs that are still a mass-production compromise.

The warranty is nice. I don’t quite understand why they spec’d it with SL AL instead of HD AL. Maybe for weight, but SL doesn’t seem right for this bike to me. That said, I ride high-speed PNW trail almost daily and have become pretty picky about wheel feel.

A Happy Zeebra

Oct 1, 2023
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

First order of business for either of those build kits is a wheelset imo. I was hoping to like the Reserve SL AL set, but the bike outshreds it.

The Damper 3 in this Fork is really good. Makes the Select + an outstanding ride without it being the ultimate model. . It was sooo much smoother over the rowdy stuff at the bike park last weekend than my Fox fork was. Really noticeable. The clicks on the fork are also more felt. I was noodling with rebound and it was far easier to just turn a click and feel a difference than say have to turn 4-5 clicks on a fox fork to feel it. So was appreciating this RockShox style of adjustment more than I expected.
If I would upgrade and swap the fork entirely it would be to a ZEB fork. I’ve been a Fox person forever and this is my first step away from FOX. If you have a really good suspension store near you they can mod the fork to be an Ultimate. I may consider it if I feel it’s worth it. But for now I was really liking what the fork did in the rowdy chunk. But the bike geo is really designed to get rowdy, so I see why they went this direction.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
The Damper 3 in this Fork is really good. Makes the Select + an outstanding ride without it being the ultimate model. . It was sooo much smoother over the rowdy stuff at the bike park last weekend than my Fox fork was. Really noticeable. The clicks on the fork are also more felt. I was noodling with rebound and it was far easier to just turn a click and feel a difference than say have to turn 4-5 clicks on a fox fork to feel it. So was appreciating this RockShox style of adjustment more than I expected.
If I would upgrade and swap the fork entirely it would be to a ZEB fork. I’ve been a Fox person forever and this is my first step away from FOX. If you have a really good suspension store near you they can mod the fork to be an Ultimate. I may consider it if I feel it’s worth it. But for now I was really liking what the fork did in the rowdy chunk. But the bike geo is really designed to get rowdy, so I see why they went this direction.
Great feedback. Thank you!

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Fourth ride today on one of my favorite local trails, which a 1mi / 1.6km descent. First two thirds is a flowy 15% grade in the trees with roots and little trail doubles littered about, last third is a 20% grade chunky "chute." This bike is an absolute riot! If it weren't for the motor noise issues I'd be at 110% stoke. Unfortunately the noise is proving hard to ignore on pedaly bits.
Got a prompt reply saying they had a demo with similar noise, which needed cranks to be torqued. Fingers crossed it’s that easy - I’ll report back.
Cranks were indeed quite loose and had to be torqued down a few times after riding around a bit. I checked motor mount bolt torque as well and all were good. This morning the torque held but unfortunately the noise persisted, seems to be worse when warm. Shout out to Darin at Jenson, who has been really responsive. We'll see how it plays out.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
The Loam Wolf review mentioned that something about the Heckler SL frame design seemed to cause a lot of resonance/ noise to be heard from the F60 motor that isn't present in other F60 iterations.

I can tell you that I don't even hear my F60 on my Relay.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
The Loam Wolf review mentioned that something about the Heckler SL frame design seemed to cause a lot of resonance/ noise to be heard from the F60 motor that isn't present in other F60 iterations.

I can tell you that I don't even hear my F60 on my Relay.
I do remember that from their review, but I think in my case it's more than frame resonance. I don't expect it to be inaudible on the steeper singletrack climbs in the quiet of morning, and I don't really hear it as much on gravel roads or at higher pace. Perhaps I should upload a video to share here for reference. A local buddy receives his today so we'll be able to compare notes.

A Happy Zeebra

Oct 1, 2023
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I do remember that from their review, but I think in my case it's more than frame resonance. I don't expect it to be inaudible on the steeper singletrack climbs in the quiet of morning, and I don't really hear it as much on gravel roads or at higher pace. Perhaps I should upload a video to share here for reference. A local buddy receives his today so we'll be able to compare notes.
Agreed, cause my Heckler is pretty quiet. Jenson really is super supportive in their sales so hopefully they can help you out quickly.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Agreed, cause my Heckler is pretty quiet. Jenson really is super supportive in their sales so hopefully they can help you out quickly.
So far they've been great. Here's a clip from my morning ride - the louder clicks are me turning the assist off and on but otherwise it's motor noise. Would love to get thoughts from the other HSL owners here.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Can't really tell anything from the clip because tyres and other noises are louder.
But as a world wide view, I don't even notice the Ride 60 motor noise in any situation in my Haibike unless I'm in Rocket with boost added, and pedalling like crazy up a steep climb. And I use more assist than you. 😜

My previous Bosch CX bike was like a diesel motor compared. Noisy and more powerful!

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Can't really tell anything from the clip because tyres and other noises are louder.
But as a world wide view, I don't even notice the Ride 60 motor noise in any situation in my Haibike unless I'm in Rocket with boost added, and pedalling like crazy up a steep climb. And I use more assist than you. 😜

My previous Bosch CX bike was like a diesel motor compared. Noisy and more powerful!
That’s a comforting reaction to the video 😂. It’s obvious to me but I’m quite keyed into it at this point.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles