Article 2020 SPECIALIZED KENEVO

Churchill

Jul 15, 2018
Idaho
I have a 2018 Kenevo and was really looking forward to the new Kenevo. In fact, in March I had saved up $10,000 for the 2020 Kenevo. But time marched on and there were not even any hints as to what new technology the new Kenevo would have.
I became impatient, and I got tired of having all this money burning a hole in my pocket, so I bought a camping trailer and a carbon gen 4 Santa Cruz Nomad.
Now that the 2020 Kenevo has been released, I can’t help but feel relieved. The bike is a more of an evolution rather than a revolution, so I’m happy to stick with my older Kenevo for e-biking. I’m glad I spent my money on other things.
Lastly, I will say that this bike should have been the ultimate flagship bike for Specialized. Instead, they chose to use subdued styling and suspension components. Sad! This bike should have looked like a Ferrari not some low key garage build. Oh well, maybe next year.
Here is where my Kenevo money went, thank goodness:

64EA25D8-5219-4C69-9BCB-D38D8E2BA8F8.png

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Now that the 2020 Kenevo has been released, I can’t help but feel relieved. The bike is a more of an evolution rather than a revolution, so I’m happy to stick with my older Kenevo for e-biking. I’m glad I spent my money on other things.

Same for me, but without the 10.000 bucks waiting in my pocket :)
Definitely a good evolution - which is fine, no need to throw out a revolution every time. The Kenevo has been one when it first came out and the new one now is the one e-mtb if you look for a downhill-/big-jump beast like that.

But one reason i've opted for the Kenevo over the Levo two years ago was the durability that comes with the much thicker frame and bigger bearings all over the bike (i'm very good in breaking "light-weight" things). Now the rear-triangle and bearings of the 2020 Kenevo for me look very identical to the Levo. Am i right with this or is the 2020 Kenevo still having the more robust parts?

damo

Patreon
Dec 9, 2018
Norfolk
Finally a bike long enough for Paul Aston... shame he quit.
I don't know how you manual or lift the front wheel over obstacles with 24kg and 454mm chainstays?

I like the idea of the longer front end. I personally love a slack HA, with the steeper effective STA allowing for long reach without being over-stretched while sitting peddling, but I agree the chainstays seem way too long. I'd sacrifice 10mm of rear travel for 10mm shorter chainstays.

damo

Patreon
Dec 9, 2018
Norfolk
I rode 3 different levo’s (Fork lengths/ mullet) and two sizes of 2020 Kenevo Expert today at the Forest of Dean, UK (Mud/slop).

I was totally shocked as I thought I would hate a 29’er and was set on a Kenevo.

The Levo was everyone’s favourite by far. It was Lighter, more nimble and fun. Plenty of travel. The Kenevo was good but just felt heavy, burly and dulled in comparison. A great capable bike but too much bike unless you are riding full on DH tracks in the Alps.

I will now be getting the Levo comp with Lyrik and changing the air spring to get 160mm.
How was the Levo with mullet wheels? I wonder if mullet and a 160 Lyrik might be a good combo and achieve a slacker HA?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I rode 3 different levo’s (Fork lengths/ mullet) and two sizes of 2020 Kenevo Expert today at the Forest of Dean, UK (Mud/slop).

I was totally shocked as I thought I would hate a 29’er and was set on a Kenevo.

The Levo was everyone’s favourite by far. It was Lighter, more nimble and fun. Plenty of travel. The Kenevo was good but just felt heavy, burly and dulled in comparison. A great capable bike but too much bike unless you are riding full on DH tracks in the Alps.

I will now be getting the Levo comp with Lyrik and changing the air spring to get 160mm.
Was that an organised demo or a bunch of mates swapping bikes?

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
How was the Levo with mullet wheels? I wonder if mullet and a 160 Lyrik might be a good combo and achieve a slacker HA?

it was great. I have just ordered a levo and will change the air spring to 160mm. Will see how it goes with the 29er rear but if my ass gets buzzed will swap out the rear for a 27.5 no hesitation

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
it was great. I have just ordered a levo and will change the air spring to 160mm. Will see how it goes with the 29er rear but if my ass gets buzzed will swap out the rear for a 27.5 no hesitation
I've mulleted my bike and love it. Overforked it to raise BB, but the BB is lower overall (since it's an eeeb, you can just get shorter cranks). Super stable and slack. Even though you very quickly learn not to buzz your ass on a 29" wheel so you no longer view it as a constraint on your riding, it's so liberating to have the space back again! No downsides as the bike still maintains that 29er carving feeling. Had to drop rear rotor to 180mm as rear brake felt too powerful and just slid the saddle forward on the rails.
Not sure how much rear travel a levo has, but maybe try 170 front (or more ;)

AZCN

Oct 29, 2019
Phoenix
Anyone else look at the Norco Range and think the numbers just look a all around better? Shorter chain stays, you can achieve the same reaches/wheel bases outside of the s5, and much better stand-over height. Not to mention the price point is much better with better components. Yeah the BB is a 1cm higher and the travel is a cm less, and you don't get the triple clamp, but 12 speed gx, better brakes, and better wheels/tires are nothing to scoff at. Am I out on a limb on this? It seems like the Norco should be getting much more hype than it is, no? Am I missing something?
I was thinking that same thing. Don't get me wrong, the Kenevo looks dope too, but that Range is almost exactly what I want. I feel like it's not getting all that much press either. Can't wait to see some reviews on it.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I agree when it’s works ! My tcu was playing up (not turning on , sticking on a mode when on , not turning off and flashing blue and red) so took it to the bike shop to have it checked. Plugged it in and found nothing, tried a new tcu and still wouldn’t work properly, put a new battery connector on and still no different , tried a different battery and you can guess ! He’s now gunna get a new motor next week and hope it sorts it out , not too pleased !
Ps when it wouldn’t turn on I would roll it backwards and it would fire up, (noticed it after washing and bouncing on the back wheel) is that normal ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ps when it wouldn’t turn on I would roll it backwards and it would fire up, (noticed it after washing and bouncing on the back wheel) is that normal ?
A few people with suspected faulty crank sensors in the motor - or something like that, have reported theirs turning on when turning the cranks.. so maybe yours has something like this.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
A few people with suspected faulty crank sensors in the motor - or something like that, have reported theirs turning on when turning the cranks.. so maybe yours has something like this.
Ok , so would that effect the other issues , new motor next week and I’ll know ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles