Water/winter proof flat pedal shoes

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Check out 661 ankle braces.
They're about £20 each and support your ankle/foot more than protect it from hits.
I had to wear one to ride anything rough (or harsh) for around 5 years after a crash led to me needing a complete foot rebuild surgery, 9 months in plaster and years of physio back in 2002. I can ride fine and pain free without the support now. But I still have a pair just incase.
Are they not a bit cumbersome with shin guards, mid shoes etc? Sorry to hear about the foot sounds rough!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Are they not a bit cumbersome
Eh? you 'avin a larf mate?

d55d98ba679f5b6c8bb7f1474db6c814.jpg

I don't wear mid shoes or shin guards.
a looooong time ago when racing DH I did used to wear dainese DH race knee/shin combo guards. Knee/shin guards generally don't go right down to your ankles.
Stand alone mtb shin guards sometimes do but TBH are are a pretty stupid choice except for trials riding. (They don't stay in place well and make wearing knee pads a challenge)

Back when i wore the 661 ankle brace I'd wear a sports sock with the brace over it and done up snuggly and a sealskin sock stretched over the top of both but my shoe done up slightly looser than the other shoe on my good foot. (with sports sock & seal skin but no brace).

I still don't ever do my shoes up tight.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Eh? you 'avin a larf mate?

d55d98ba679f5b6c8bb7f1474db6c814.jpg

I don't wear mid shoes or shin guards.
a looooong time ago when racing DH I did used to wear dainese DH race knee/shin combo guards. Knee/shin guards generally don't go right down to your ankles.
Stand alone mtb shin guards sometimes do but TBH are are a pretty stupid choice except for trials riding. (They don't stay in place well and make wearing knee pads a challenge)

Back when i wore the 661 ankle brace I'd wear a sports sock with the brace over it and done up snuggly and a sealskin sock stretched over the top of both but my shoe done up slightly looser than the other shoe on my good foot. (with sports sock & seal skin but no brace).

I still don't ever do my shoes up tight.

@Zimmerframe have you tested this one yet? It has Garys jock strap even!!

But now your sticking with ankle braces that you don't need by the sounds of things because you've tasted that nastyness and don't fancy it again, not better to wear preventative gear in the first place to mitigate that damage and just get used to it? I don't know the odds of ankle injuries (I can imagine very high given how you have to jump off the bike or do a mid flight gymnastic routine xyz sometimes) and I must admit after ordering Jameson Etnies I know I need probably high top (maybe the five tens mid pro trail cross with d30 ankle guards still, but I'm kind of thinking dry/wet day type stuff I think, no idea really but I'll plunge balls deep into the research at least :D. The main thing is I need lessons asap....a few options around me too by looks.

Nice day today, phhfffff bikes in the shop still! After getting my shoes sorted (getting close)....oh and some ruddy knee pads, I'm sporting d30 CE2 forcefield buckets on my knees, there alright in fairness but move around like you say, better options out there but I have mutant calves as thick as my lower thighs!

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
@Zimmerframe have you tested this one yet? It has Garys jock strap even!!

But now your sticking with ankle braces that you don't need by the sounds of things because you've tasted that nastyness and don't fancy it again, not better to wear preventative gear in the first place to mitigate that damage and just get used to it? I don't know the odds of ankle injuries (I can imagine very high given how you have to jump off the bike or do a mid flight gymnastic routine xyz sometimes) and I must admit after ordering Jameson Etnies I know I need probably high top (maybe the five tens mid pro trail cross with d30 ankle guards still, but I'm kind of thinking dry/wet day type stuff I think, no idea really but I'll plunge balls deep into the research at least :D. The main thing is I need lessons asap....a few options around me too by looks.

Nice day today, phhfffff bikes in the shop still! After getting my shoes sorted (getting close)....oh and some ruddy knee pads, I'm sporting d30 CE2 forcefield buckets on my knees, there alright in fairness but move around like you say, better options out there but I have mutant calves as thick as my lower thighs!
Shouldn’t only need an analogy mtb then with all that calve power. ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
But now your sticking with ankle braces that you don't need by the sounds of things because you've tasted that nastyness
Nope. I'm simply a hoarder.
I have a ridiculous amount of bikes and bike related clothing and equipment.
A fair amount of which I'll never use again.

not better to wear preventative gear in the first place to mitigate that damage and just get used to it? I don't know the odds of ankle injuries (I can imagine very high given how you have to jump off the bike or do a mid flight gymnastic routine xyz sometimes)
Mate. I've genuinely only worn a helmet 9 times this year nevetmind all the stuff you seem to think you need to be wearing . To put that into context I've done well over 300 rides so far this year (about 3000miles) .
I absolutely hate wearing protective gear of any sort.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Nope. I'm simply a hoarder.
I have a ridiculous amount of bikes and bike related clothing and equipment.
A fair amount of which I'll never use again.

Mate. I've genuinely only worn a helmet 9 times this year nevetmind all the stuff you seem to think you need to be wearing . To put that into context I've done well over 300 rides so far this year (about 3000miles) .
I absolutely hate wearing protective gear of any sort.

I get it

baeba701f7d0eef4634ac4c876166062.png

benny.c

Apr 21, 2019
North West
Had this conversion done last winter by Lancashire sport repair and its awesome,
Northwave Himalaya boots converted to 5Ten sole
There is more detail on a different thread.
Combined with full length lycra tights , long trousers or shorts plus gaiters and Sealskin type socks .
I've used them in all sorts of filthy weather and never got cold or wet
Having a high ankle makes a big difference.
Not a cheap way of sorting the issue but its definitely the best I've come across.
I've wasted plenty of pounds trying to sort it on the cheap and none have been satisfactory, so I sucked it up and did this.

Manufacturers are missing the mark here .
Definitely a market for a winter boot with a 5Ten sole

View attachment 42447
Were the existing soles not really suitable for cycling without going clipless? I’d only use them for local woods, bridleways etc so wouldn’t need ultimate grip.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I do have rollers. And a roadbike. And lycra.
Only ridden the roadbike a couple of hundred miles this year and haven't ridden the rollers in 3 years.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Were the existing soles not really suitable for cycling without going clipless? I’d only use them for local woods, bridleways etc so wouldn’t need ultimate grip.
I tried them for a whole winter on flats before the conversion
I managed but they weren't ideal , probably ok for nothing too challenging
Started to struggle when the terrain got more challenging
Loads of grip for hike a bike though

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Cheers for that buddy ?I have these in my possession now and very impressed with them, ticks quite a few boxes, be interesting to see how they do on the pedals. Oddly the left sole seems to have a fault in it but shouldn’t be hard to replace. There’s a lot to like, it’s also a multi purpose boot so be decent for hiking and waterproof, bargain! It’s like the GR9s bigger brother...

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
@R120 did you own these by any chance? Just asking as there majorly tight, wondering if anyone ever broke these beasts in.....(vaude Moab)
Had to send back as too narrow for me, sadly they are the best shoe I’ve had my hands on at least for what I was looking for.

on another note using Trailcross Mid which are alright but more lightweight/less protective than I was looking at (maybe impacts next) but they started to smell of sweat/piss after a few rides, how do we keep them smelling acceptable? I bunged them in the washer but it split the stitching to one of the d30 ankle pads (meh) so I’ll have to glue it back and have a rethink!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It is rare that we get snow here but we did a few years back and I bought these Seeland boots both for warmth and for waterproofing. I just found them hidden away in a cupboard and gave them a try on the bike!! They worked great...a bit cumbersome but soooooo warm and totally waterproof...and wipe clean. So I was reminded that as is often the case the last place to look for protective warm or technical gear is a mtb specific shop or website...unless you are happy paying over the odds.
These are in fact snow boots. Seeland is a hunting/outdoor brand. Very similar design rubber and neoprene boots called muckers are used as horse stables yard boots. If you just want over shoes check out muck boot.co.uk. For £50 you get something far better than any bike overshoe.

20201128_163143.jpg

Reactions: cra

Jamescoughlan

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2020
Aberporth
I have the Vaude AM Moab too. They're amazing! Warm, dry and plenty gripper enough on my Hope flat pedals. No complaints here. I did go up half a size and would probably struggle with thicker socks like the Sealskinz. I wear those cheapo Merino mix socks from Planet-X and the combo works well.
I have terrible circulation in winter and these Vaude's with Galibier winter gloves keep my feet and hands toasty.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I have the Vaude AM Moab too. They're amazing! Warm, dry and plenty gripper enough on my Hope flat pedals. No complaints here. I did go up half a size and would probably struggle with thicker socks like the Sealskinz. I wear those cheapo Merino mix socks from Planet-X and the combo works well.
I have terrible circulation in winter and these Vaude's with Galibier winter gloves keep my feet and hands toasty.

Yes I followed the size guide, took measurements, much too small! Naturally the next size up was £30 more expensive - doh!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
...but leather is waterproof if it is treated with a good shoe polish. To be waterproof you really need something with good ankle closure, so typically a boot rather than a shoe. I use the leather 5-10 EPS boots in the winter and my feet stay dry. I am sceptical about shoes/boots with mesh or part mesh uppers even if they supposedly have some type of waterproof liner...even Goretex. I have over the years tried numerous boots for dog walking across wet and muddy fields etc and even the Goretex lined ones let in water unless the upper is constantly washed and treated with Nikwax, meaning the Goretex itself does very little.......except, in terms of the brands I have tried, Saloman which have stayed completely waterproof with minimal treatment of the uppers. So I suspect it really depends how the Goretex ( or other) liner is integrated into the shoe or boot. I came to the conclusion in the end that ( apart from my Salomans) the best bet is a heavy quality leather well polished.....or wellington boots!
What is the 5 10 eps boot can see mid cross and others but not that one. People mention free ride elements can't find that either.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think it was discontinued when Adidas bought out 5-10.
ps....last lockdown ride out on mucky bridleways I wore snow boots! They have big faux fur sock liners and are rubber on the lower section and neoprene above that. My feet stayed toasty and dry! Grip on the pedal was fine and they just washed clean with a hose when I got back. I dont need 5-10s or similar for those types of ride.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I think it was discontinued when Adidas bought out 5-10.
ps....last lockdown ride out on mucky bridleways I wore snow boots! They have big faux fur sock liners and are rubber on the lower section and neoprene above that. My feet stayed toasty and dry! Grip on the pedal was fine and they just washed clean with a hose when I got back. I dont need 5-10s or similar for those types of ride.
Most of what I see are spd I stopped using years ago found them a problem doing very technical stuff . Maybe just get another pair shimano lace up boots and gaitors. Have two pair then . Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles