LETS SEE YOUR RIDE FOOTAGE

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I definitely get videos that run at 360 for a period before noticeably improving to 720. I guess that may be my broadband speeds? I dunno. On reflection, I got that 1080 thing from a GMBN tech video, with Doddy saying it's more or less the sweet spot. ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Mine are on YT at 4k.

So what’s the secret then ?I can’t find any explanations on my brief google searches. Some say it defaults to 360 whilst processing the vids, but processing should only take no more than an hour for a typical 15 minute video

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Actually, I just looked at one of your vids and it defaulted to 360, this was via the link on your signature, perhaps its a chrome browser issue ?

Now I found your channel on the YouTube app and the same video plays in 480p (Madness at Llandegla) - weird

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Actually, I just looked at one of your vids and it defaulted to 360, this was via the link on your signature, perhaps its a chrome browser issue ?

YT defaults to lowest quality unless you change it in settings, have you looked at the quality options, also it may only play 4K on TV. I've just checked and plays in 4K on the Youtube app in NowTV.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
YT defaults to lowest quality unless you change it in settings, have you looked at the quality options, also it may only play 4K on TV. I've just checked and plays in 4K on the Youtube app in NowTV.

Right this is bugging me now. I have a 12.9 iPad Pro which is the highest resolution screen. Both YouTube on app or browser is defaulting to 360, or 480, sometimes 780

I checked a video on my iPhone 11 and was able to change the resolution to 4K or 1080 via the YT settings, but the same video on my ipad only gave me the option of 360 or 480

My TV screen isn’t 4K, but 1080, and I cast YT from my phone to a chromecast, so presume it will be the same resolution as I choose on the phone before casting

Not sure why YT on the ipad only gives me a max of 780 though, odd

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
YT/Google will use an algorithm to check your BANDWIDTH availability, so it starts at the lowest res whilst it checks that bandwidth and then dynamically increases the resolution if the algorithm deems it acceptable. Nothing to do with your settings although you can manually jump in and tell it you want the resolution you desire (if you have the bandwidth and the video was shot in higher resolutions).

@Tubby G your iPad issue may be related to slow wi-fi throughput on the device and relatively slow broadband speed...

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
YT/Google will use an algorithm to check your BANDWIDTH availability, so it starts at the lowest res whilst it checks that bandwidth and then dynamically increases the resolution if the algorithm deems it acceptable. Nothing to do with your settings although you can manually jump in and tell it you want the resolution you desire (if you have the bandwidth and the video was shot in higher resolutions).

@Tubby G your iPad issue may be related to slow wi-fi throughput on the device and relatively slow broadband speed...

I’m on 70Mbps superfast, fastest I can get in my area

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’m on 70Mbps superfast, fastest I can get in my area

Upload speed is fast too, 16 Mbps, and that’s on my ipad using wifi - quick google informs me anything above 10Mbps is considered super fast, so quite sure I haven’t got an issue with my broadband speed. I am beginning to think the issue is with YouTube, taking days to convert from 360 to 1080

0FB0A1EE-3671-45C2-8A55-27522E4D1BD5.jpeg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Last one and then I’ll shut up for a while! All my subscribed YouTube channel videos and my own are now playing as 1080p

All I can think is that perhaps when I was looking earlier during working hours (around 4pm) there was increased internet traffic in our area, call it internet rush hour, and the bandwidth decreased, back to normal now

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
There you go. I eventually got it edited ?

looks a nice pleasant route up at Whinlatter, even better in the sunshine

I watched your Sutton Bank edit too. That’s my local trail. You picked the muddiest routes possible haha. The woods (Kilburn/Hood hill) you rode up at the end towards the gliding club is where all the best off piste trails are to be found

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
looks a nice pleasant route up at Whinlatter, even better in the sunshine

I watched your Sutton Bank edit too. That’s my local trail. You picked the muddiest routes possible haha. The woods (Kilburn/Hood hill) you rode up at the end towards the gliding club is where all the best off piste trails are to be found
Thanks for the info. I will check it out next time I am up there.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
I used to record in 4K on my GoPro 8 and drone (and static cam if I was using one), but have dropped everything back to 1080P now. Main reason is that it is plenty detailed enough and still looks really cool. Also you have fewer space issues on SD cards, and the resulting video is much faster to edit and loads much faster onto Youtube.

From a sound perspective, I found the foam covers to be quite effective to reduce wind noise. But it makes voices quite muffled. If you aren’t doing commentary, just recording riding noise, then they are perfectly fine. Nowadays I use Rode wireless mics with little dead cats on, with the receiver plugged into the GoPro media mod and clipped into the flash mount. The sound quality is much better, and I can have two transmitters to capture my own commentary and a pal if I am riding with someone else. Not cheap, but very very good.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I used to record in 4K on my GoPro 8 and drone (and static cam if I was using one), but have dropped everything back to 1080P now. Main reason is that it is plenty detailed enough and still looks really cool. Also you have fewer space issues on SD cards, and the resulting video is much faster to edit and loads much faster onto Youtube.

From a sound perspective, I found the foam covers to be quite effective to reduce wind noise. But it makes voices quite muffled. If you aren’t doing commentary, just recording riding noise, then they are perfectly fine. Nowadays I use Rode wireless mics with little dead cats on, with the receiver plugged into the GoPro media mod and clipped into the flash mount. The sound quality is much better, and I can have two transmitters to capture my own commentary and a pal if I am riding with someone else. Not cheap, but very very good.

Yes I noticed my SD card filled up pretty quick from recording in 4K. I’ve already changed the settings to 1080, but when hypersmooth is on it changes to 2.7k anyway, so I’ll try it out this weekend

I’ll also be using the foam cover at the weekend so interested to see the difference with the wind noise. I like to keep the music on, and edit to the beat, with some trail noise in the background, so not too fussed about a commentary

Only doing this for a bit of fun and creativity, not trying to be a YouTuber .Simply enjoy learning new software and documenting our rides

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate

I have a foam windjammer and dead cats on the mics. The gp8 is very sensitive to any noise. I also use a power pack so maybe need the media mod for two usbc inputs but as its fitted to my chin guard the full unit could be too bulky. I've also never had a problem with storage strangely enough.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
With the media mod and the mic receiver, it does get a bit heavy for a chin guard mount. My preference is a chest mount when I set it up like this.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
I have a foam windjammer and dead cats on the mics. The gp8 is very sensitive to any noise. I also use a power pack so maybe need the media mod for two usbc inputs but as its fitted to my chin guard the full unit could be too bulky. I've also never had a problem with storage strangely enough.

I too have never had any issue filming in 4k have a Sandisk extreme class 10 64gb SD card tho.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just a heads up for those that want to add tunes to their moves …

This site allows you to download up to 10 royalty free tracks per month free of charge, seems to have quite a large library too:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles