LETS SEE YOUR RIDE FOOTAGE

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I have a foam cover on my older 6 and its night and day better (I know the microphones have got better on the newer ones but you still get wind noise) and apart from anything else its another protective device as I'm always dropping them when swapping position on changing batteries,

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Surprisingly the GoPro is being delivered by UPS tomorrow. Great timing as I’ll have a couple of evenings to get used to the setting and then try it out at the weekend

Anyone think it’s worth getting one of those foam covers to help with wind noise or are those not really necessary for amateur level recording?

They’re only around a tenner, so it’s not the cost, its the faff of taking the camera in & out of the cover each time you need to change the battery which puts me off getting one

I have one but don’t use it, I use windjammers (dead cat) as the 9 has two microphone that need covering. I think they work really well and you get a lot more for your money.
E6CAEFD0-FA49-451C-80EC-DE4BE5A237AA.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The insta360 go2 looks quite user friendly for just banging clips out. Gary did a few just using the basic app settings and they looked good.

Easy to mount and so on etc .. bla bla .. boring .. 60 seconds is my watching limit anyway.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
The insta360 go2 looks quite user friendly for just banging clips out. Gary did a few just using the basic app settings and they looked good.

Easy to mount and so on etc .. bla bla .. boring .. 60 seconds is my watching limit anyway.

I was looking at the go2 as it looks quite neat for its tiny size, but it’s a similar cost to the Hero 8 and the GoPro just seems to do so much more

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I was looking at the go2 as it looks quite neat for its tiny size, but it’s a similar cost to the Hero 8 and the GoPro just seems to do so much more
Sometimes more .. is less ....

Bit it's smaller .. +€1000 bike points .. lighter +€1000 bike points .. so it's free ...

I guess it depends how much time you want to spend editing. If you have the time, you'd probably get more from the gopro's. If you can't be arsed, maybe the go2 would be better.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Sometimes more .. is less ....

Bit it's smaller .. +€1000 bike points .. lighter +€1000 bike points .. so it's free ...

I guess it depends how much time you want to spend editing. If you have the time, you'd probably get more from the gopro's. If you can't be arsed, maybe the go2 would be better.

Like most electronic gadgets, I’ll probably get into the GoPro for a few months, film some POV trails, do some timewarp edits, take it underwater and amaze myself at the fishy footage, then get bored and hardly use it

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Like most electronic gadgets, I’ll probably get into the GoPro for a few months, film some POV trails, do some timewarp edits, take it underwater and amaze myself at the fishy footage, then get bored and hardly use it
Yea, that happens. That's why I changed my 7 with the 9 so I can just use the hindsight feature for most of my riding and if something happens I can just hit the record button to capture it :sneaky:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Done on a gp8 and edited on da-vinchi resolve.

Funnily enough I downloaded Davinci Resolve last night (seem as though it’s free) to my windows laptop and started having a fiddle. Oh my god it’s a huge piece of software that no doubt takes years to master. I also presume it works far better on multiple large screens with dedicated mixing desks & controllers, and not a tiny little laptop!

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Funnily enough I downloaded Davinci Resolve last night (seem as though it’s free) to my windows laptop and started having a fiddle. Oh my god it’s a huge piece of software that no doubt takes years to master. I also presume it works far better on multiple large screens with dedicated mixing desks & controllers, and not a tiny little laptop!
I run it on a not very fast laptop and although it works its not always happy ?. I also have a 40" TV as my monitor. My first vids were pretty crap as its a massive learning curve and YouTube destroy the quality if you don't have the correct settings.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I run it on a not very fast laptop and although it works its not always happy ?. I also have a 40" TV as my monitor. My first vids were pretty crap as its a massive learning curve and YouTube destroy the quality if you don't have the correct settings.

I used to use Cubase & Abbleton Live which is music editing software. Had multiple screens, mixing desk and controller gadgets and would spend hours & hours of my life locked away until the early hours editing loops, grooves and layering fx. Those memories came haunting me as soon as I opened Resolve !

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Currently trying to edit the South vid from two runs. Watching the clips on Windows built-in video editor and the laptop is constantly crashing and freezing. Also the gopro really struggles with bright conditions going in and out of the trees and as yet I don't know how to sort that out in editing so mostly picking the duller clips to put in to de-vinchi.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Currently trying to edit the South vid from two runs. Watching the clips on Windows built-in video editor and the laptop is constantly crashing and freezing. Also the gopro really struggles with bright conditions going in and out of the trees and as yet I don't know how to sort that out in editing so mostly picking the duller clips to put in to de-vinchi.

I have an iPad Pro too and it’s really fast for processing so will be using that with LumaFusion as suggested above by LH, hoping it’s nice & simple to use such as iMovies so that I DON’T spend hours & hours editing!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

Looking forward to the south edit. Whinlatter is on our list to visit

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
North and South loops for you Tubby - done on the Merida, not the Rise... They are nice rides, not too technical (Gisburn is not as nice but more technical and tighter in the trees)

Thanks Tony. I may have seen these before if you’ve posted them previously. I’ll be watching them again though

One of the problems with working from home the last 17 months since Covid is that I’m so easily distracted, especially by POV GoPro videos of trails being shred ?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Thanks Tony. I may have seen these before if you’ve posted them previously. I’ll be watching them again though

One of the problems with working from home the last 17 months since Covid is that I’m so easily distracted, especially by POV GoPro videos of trails being shred ?
You aren't alone! :D

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
I have an iPad Pro too and it’s really fast for processing so will be using that with LumaFusion as suggested above by LH, hoping it’s nice & simple to use such as iMovies so that I DON’T spend hours & hours editing!

This has some great tips on how to get started, I would recommend giving it a watch ??

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Ok, so Saturday was a wash out and killed our plans and had limited time at the trails today. I’m still in a cast on my arm and can’t ride so slapped the GoPro on my other half and made a simple little edit of an easy blue trail at Dalby. Just testing the camera out really

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Right then. The last edit above ^^ was done using the GoPro app on my phone, done another edit of the same footage using LumaFusion on the iPad which I downloaded last night so just getting used to it really

Forgot to take the wind cover for the camera at the weekend and the footage is ruined by wind noise, so had to fill the audio with music. I did leave a small section with the wind noise just to highlight how bad it was. All a learning curve …

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Right then. The last edit above ^^ was done using the GoPro app on my phone, done another edit of the same footage using LumaFusion on the iPad which I downloaded last night so just getting used to it really

Forgot to take the wind cover for the camera at the weekend and the footage is ruined by wind noise, so had to fill the audio with music. I did leave a small section with the wind noise just to highlight how bad it was. All a learning curve …

Have you changed the setting on the 8 or just left them as standard?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England

Was there not the option to export using 4K? thats a big thing to me on editing.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I was under the impresison YT compresses the life out of uploads to the point it's a waste of bandwidth upping beyond 1080? Happy to be put right, I've posted vids at 720 before that come out looking like they were filmed on an overipe banana.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I was under the impresison YT compresses the life out of uploads to the point it's a waste of bandwidth upping beyond 1080? Happy to be put right, I've posted vids at 720 before that come out looking like they were filmed on an overipe banana.

I watched a vid recently that said that yes YT compresses the uploads, so it’s good practice to film & export in 4K to give yourself the best chance of the highest final resolution. Don’t know how much truth was in this though, it was only an amateur YT’ers view

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
It’s filmed in 4K, exported in 4K, and then YouTube seems to convert it to auto mode at either 360 or 720, not sure why and haven’t looked into it yet

I’ve just seen that the quality on my vid link above is only 360, whereas on YT itself it’s at 1080. Weird. Maybe YT compresses ‘share’ links further, don’t know. I’ll do some research …

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles