Vitus E-Mythique LT won't power on.

RonanGee

Sep 5, 2023
Ireland
Hi Guys,

I've a Vitus E-Mythique LT VR that after one spin won't turn on again. It was parked up for two days indoors before trying to turn it back on.

Bafang M510 motor.

The battery was around 50% when last powered off. I fully charged the battery to see would it help but no result. The light on the charger cable goes from red to green to indicate it's charged.

No response from the power button on the handlebars.

3 connecters at motor are plugged in.
Both connectors in the display are plugged in.

The battery itself: it has a RGB display and it's own power button. The light is Blue. If I hold it for 8 or so seconds it goes into a red mode. I can go back and forth from blue to red but can't get back to green. I read that there could be a sleep mode so that's why I tried holding the button for 8 seconds.

Hard to see but there does seem to be a tiny nick in the positive yellow cables heat shrink that exposes the pin.

The bike is my girlfriends and brand new. Will be contacting the seller as soon as I get her order details.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PXL_20230905_174558851.jpg PXL_20230905_174512234.jpg PXL_20230905_173854738.jpg PXL_20230905_173817995.jpg PXL_20230905_175628540.jpg PXL_20230905_175622914.jpg PXL_20230905_175029048.jpg

RonanGee

Sep 5, 2023
Ireland
I've checked every connection to see if it's tight except for connection 5 In this diagram which I can't find. I suspect it's maybe inside the frame

Screenshot_20230905-103623.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I was just reading about the battery and playing with mine.

When charging it looks like it flashes green when it's less than 66% and Blue when charging and over 66%

If I press the button when not charging at 66% it shows blue.

I think 10 second long press brings it out of sleep mode.

It does sound like a cable issue.

If you've not already maybe unplug the cables going to the display and put them in again, just to make sure they're seated correctly. Also make sure the controller one isn't pinched, it's only just long enough so it could get tight really easily.

@patdam any ideas ?

RonanGee

Sep 5, 2023
Ireland
I've checked every connection to see if it's tight except for connection 5 In this diagram which I can't find. I suspect it's maybe inside the frame

View attachment 124181
I'm starting to believe that junction 5 doesn't exist?? It's not in the down tube. Remote plugs into display, then display runs into the frame, behind the battery and plugs directly into the motor. As far as I can tell. EDIT: junction 5 is on top of the motor tucked up into the seat tubes. There appears to be two connecters in there.

PXL_20230906_181106515.jpg PXL_20230906_181300190.jpg PXL_20230906_181156992.jpg Screenshot_20230906-194105.png

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Do you think they might have been damaged by the dropper post ? There's quite a lot of space above the motor before you'd get to the dropper though.

It could just be something as simple as a faulty power button/that cable damaged.

Last edited:

RonanGee

Sep 5, 2023
Ireland
I'm leaning towards it being the handlebar controller. Will have to go down the warranty route.

Anssi

Jul 1, 2023
Helsinki
Yes, those connectors are pushed up the seat tube (I pulled my motor and took a look). Looks like there's quite a kink in the cable to going to the connector in your picture.

RonanGee

Sep 5, 2023
Ireland
Yes, those connectors are pushed up the seat tube (I pulled my motor and took a look). Looks like there's quite a kink in the cable to going to the connector in your picture.
Can you pull the motor without removing the chainring?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Maybe it's possible (the only real issue is getting to the bolt that is behind the chain guide, which you have to get loose and rotate) , but I got a Park Tool BBT-18 (fits perfectly) to remove the chainring.
And if you don't have one of those then I think any Brose/Bosch 8 notch lockring tool will fit.

RonanGee

Sep 5, 2023
Ireland
She's back and I have no idea why. At least I found my way around the bike a bit and now know where everything is! Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. I must check what colour the battery is at later, see did it go back to green

PXL_20230907_170826221.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Great news, though frustrating not knowing what it was - lets hope it doesn't do it again !!

I should have let my battery go down again instead of charging, but I'm guessing the light is Blue from 66-100% Green from 33% to 65% and Red below that.. I've only seen it change from green to blue though when charging then put it back in the bike to check the %. I can't find any manual for it and it doesn't correspond to the other bafang battery lights.

So your fork is 23 forks older than mine :) Does it work ?? Do the compression and re-bound clicks work ? Does high speed compression work or is it like hitting concrete if you drop or pop off anything - not even big things !

RonanGee

Sep 5, 2023
Ireland
Battery is blue now. So your guess might be correct. I'm half wondering did something get wet and did it need time to dry out. No idea.

It's my girlfriends bike so I don't know if the fork is any good. She can't tell the difference to be honest so it should do her for awhile. Her Ohlins on her Enduro was down from 160mm travel to 140mm and she didn't notice.

The rebound dial does click. It's light in the minus direct and very stiff In the positive direction. The compression adjuster does not click. It just rotates two full turns. Might end up stealing the Lyrik from her Enduro as long as the steerer isn't cut too short. Head tube on the specialized is very short.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Mines only been minorly wet. Not sure where water could cause an issue. If it is that would be nice to track it down and seal things up !!

My rebound is infinite in both directions. Low speed compression I have 5 clicks at random intervals, but neither actually do anything. I think they all have faulty dampers. I have to send mine back for inspection/repair/replacement.

I was going to swap the Lyric off my Kenevo but I've been too lazy ! I think it will just fit if I run it without spacers.

skismith

Aug 6, 2019
Hinckley uk
Battery is blue now. So your guess might be correct. I'm half wondering did something get wet and did it need time to dry out. No idea.

It's my girlfriends bike so I don't know if the fork is any good. She can't tell the difference to be honest so it should do her for awhile. Her Ohlins on her Enduro was down from 160mm travel to 140mm and she didn't notice.

The rebound dial does click. It's light in the minus direct and very stiff In the positive direction. The compression adjuster does not click. It just rotates two full turns. Might end up stealing the Lyrik from her Enduro as long as the steerer isn't cut too short. Head tube on the specialized is very short.
Hi, I have had issues on the 245 display after washing the bike or in heavy rain, if you take the display off dry it out on a radiator it turns on again. I solved my issue by clear frame wrap over the top of the screen & down the edges. Water was getting in around the clear part of the screen .
Not had any problems since I did the modification, good luck.

i_like_food

Nov 10, 2023
West Midlands
I've got exactly this problem. 3rd ride, washed it (no jet washing or powerwash obviously) and charged it. Back to the bike a week later and won't power on.

Checked battery, blue light.

Checked plugs to display, fine.

Not sure what to try next... Anyone got suggestions?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you short these two pins for a few seconds, it's the same as pressing the power on button :

1699695347485.png

That would help identify if it's the buttons or not.

Have used mine extensively in the wet so you have to wonder if there's either an assembly issue with some of the buttons letting water in, the display or a junction somewhere else getting water in on some bikes.

Another user reported success after leaving the buttons in a bag of rice for a few days to draw the moisture out.

SBJ

Nov 5, 2023
Cheshire
I have finally managed to get mine working

Charge the battery full with the battery in the bike

Once charged partially release the battery so that you can press the button on the battery

Hold the button on the battery until the lights go from blue green red then

When it goes green refit quickly and press the power on.

Screens booted up and worked every time since, I sense that water ingress is putting the bike into a safe mode!?

Emtbkris

Nov 11, 2023
Hampshire
I’m having this exact same issue on my emythique VRS. Received the bike on Wednesday, one ride and since yesterday not been able to turn on. I have tried everything and followed recommendations on here but still not turning on. Tried the battery button hold etc and in blue or red doesn’t work.

I did notice on the one ride I did get, when the bike was stopped but in trail mode still, it was as if the motor was trying to engage. The bike didn’t physically move forward but you could hear it and bike was ever so slightly rocking. I don’t think that is normal but has anyone else seen that?

I’ve removed the display again and trying to remove any moisture. Bikes been indoors since it was delivered, except that one ride!

Great bike otherwise, really was looking forward to getting out this weekend but back to waiting for CRC again :(

Any help and pointers welcome if you guys have any other ideas

Cheers all

SBJ

Nov 5, 2023
Cheshire
I’m having this exact same issue on my emythique VRS. Received the bike on Wednesday, one ride and since yesterday not been able to turn on. I have tried everything and followed recommendations on here but still not turning on. Tried the battery button hold etc and in blue or red doesn’t work.

I did notice on the one ride I did get, when the bike was stopped but in trail mode still, it was as if the motor was trying to engage. The bike didn’t physically move forward but you could hear it and bike was ever so slightly rocking. I don’t think that is normal but has anyone else seen that?

I’ve removed the display again and trying to remove any moisture. Bikes been indoors since it was delivered, except that one ride!

Great bike otherwise, really was looking forward to getting out this weekend but back to waiting for CRC again :(

Any help and pointers welcome if you guys have any other ideas

Cheers all
Try the above, I have had the exact same problem with mine for 10’s. The battery needs to be partially seated to the bike connector for it to work and you do have to be quick

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
ok, so for testing/reference.

I just tried that on mine ...

Working bike. Powers on fine.

Opened battery and lowered just enough to press the power. Pressed and it came up red, held and eventually it cycled blue green red and put the battery back. Pressed the power button - nothing :)

That kind of fits with your theory that the bike is going into sleep mode for some reason, except I forced a working bike into sleep mode.

I then tried it again - but the same result. Dead bike - it didn't bring it out of sleep.

This time I removed the battery. Pressed the button and it came up red. Waited a second.

Pressed it again. It went red. Held it this time and it flashed red then a second later went green. Released the button, re-inserted battery. Bike powered on.

Tried the same thing with the battery off the bike and the same results. Re-insert battery, press power for 3 seconds, bike powers on.

SBJ

Nov 5, 2023
Cheshire
ok, so for testing/reference.

I just tried that on mine ...

Working bike. Powers on fine.

Opened battery and lowered just enough to press the power. Pressed and it came up red, held and eventually it cycled blue green red and put the battery back. Pressed the power button - nothing :)

That kind of fits with your theory that the bike is going into sleep mode for some reason, except I forced a working bike into sleep mode.

I then tried it again - but the same result. Dead bike - it didn't bring it out of sleep.

This time I removed the battery. Pressed the button and it came up red. Waited a second.

Pressed it again. It went red. Held it this time and it flashed red then a second later went green. Released the button, re-inserted battery. Bike powered on.

Tried the same thing with the battery off the bike and the same results. Re-insert battery, press power for 3 seconds, bike powers on.
It does seem to be a common issue now as I have come across 6 separate occasions so far. All bikes delivered within recent weeks and failing after a hand full of rides

I did find corrosion in the connection from the motor to the switch which has since been cleaned out

Can water cause the battery to go into a safe mode?

IMG_7074.jpeg IMG_7072.jpeg

Emtbkris

Nov 11, 2023
Hampshire
It does seem to be a common issue now as I have come across 6 separate occasions so far. All bikes delivered within recent weeks and failing after a hand full of rides

I did find corrosion in the connection from the motor to the switch which has since been cleaned out

Can water cause the battery to go into a safe mode?

View attachment 128723 View attachment 128724
Hi thanks for your help and advice here, I have tried all variations of button on battery with bike on charge at same time and off charge with battery still connected and nothing seeming making any impact. I did get the bike powered on yesterday by that method but then by time I had my gear on and ready to ride, it wouldn’t turn on again.

This motor connector you have pictured, where is that located? Is it chain side or disc side? Is it easy to access just taking the top cover off or did you need to remove chain ring etc? I am mindful of warranties and don’t want to pull it all apart, equally if easy to access that motor plug I think that is a next step to try. Elec cleaner it and if it did get wet that would explain all the rest. Bike is dry now but would be good to check that connector

Emtbkris

Nov 11, 2023
Hampshire
Initially, still didn’t have any difference. I put the cover back on and did same battery button thing but no display.
About an hour later I went back to it hoping for a miracle, I took battery off completely and clicked button. When I put the battery on the bike the display came on itself. I thought might be solved, for now. But nope.

I now have a 05 where the speed would be. Bike clicks between eco and trail mode etc but no assistance from motor, as if bike is still off.
Speed is not being displayed as that 05 doesn’t go away.
I haven’t dared turn it off yet as know it won’t turn back on again..

Here’s the codes I’m getting now and the screen with 05 display.

All connections I can find are secure and ok that I can tell.

Think this is going to turn into a headache but open to any advice and pointers if anyone else has had this issue

IMG_4878.jpeg IMG_4875.jpeg

Jimmylowblow

Oct 26, 2023
Uk
Got to say all the posts about issues makes me paranoid to ride my e-mythique in the wet or even wash the thing. Ive done 3 rides, all wet and caught in the rain. I washed twice and dried once. I remove the battery once I have dried, I have noticed some small water drops in battery compartment and on the battery connection to the motor. I've even been using a battery cover sleeve thing to stop any water ingress. Hope you get it working again dude.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles