Speed Sensor.............Just for Info.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Some time ago I ran over some sticks hidden in long grass and one caught in the speed sensor cable and pulled the sensor from its holder. My bike is the Whyte E160 RSX. The orange light told me I had a problem and the Kiox told me it was a Speed Sensor fault. Sure enough I found the speed sensor dangling down on its cable from the chainstay. So I just pushed it back into its holder ( I thought!), cancelled the fault report with the LED Remote square button. I tried the bike but power was pulsing on and off. So I switched off, left it a minute or so and switched back on. Bike was then fine..........until.......
I went for a ride 2 days ago which was just a fter giving the bike a good clean....both wheels off etc, and as soon as I started to ride I could feel the motor power pulsing on and off, then the orange light came on and Kiox told me it was a speed sensor fault. This was probably 2 months since the original issue of pulling the sensor from its bracket. This time the sensor seemed to be in position. I thought it may have been been trail rubbish stuck in there so just checked it was in position and clean. Cleared the fault, switched off, switched back on and all was well............no further problems on a 2 hour ride.
So here is the point of my post!!
When I cleaned the bike the following day I decided to take a closer look at the sensor. What I discovered was that months previously when it got pulled from its holder, I had pushed it back in but all that was really keeping it there was the stiffness of the speed sensor cable. I also then measured the distance fo the rotor magnet from the wheel axle centre and compared that to the position of the sensor from the axle centre. The maget distance was 35mm.....the sensor was 45mm!! I finally understood that the sensor was not in fact properly secured in its bracket!
Its a very different arrangement for the sensor compared to my E180. On the E160RSX the sensor is just a cyclinder but it has a raised section halfway along its length. The bracker/holder arrangement is a spacer against the chainstay plus a clip both of which are fixed to the chainstay with a small (2.5 I think) star bolt. The clip has a recessed centre that matches the raised section on the sensor...............that is what holds the sensor in position. It is only possible to locate the sensor back into its proper position by removing the star bolt and refitting! That is now done!

The amazing thing is it worked with no problem for several rides over a couple of months with the sensor way out of position and not coming out of that holder. I must have disturbed it slightly when I cleaned the bike before this last ride. Again the interesting thing is that even with it even further away from its proper position ( probably only 1 or 2 mm) it did not stop the bike working but rather pulsed the power on and off. Not sure why. Was the sensor in the motor partially working instead??

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Brilliant post Mike, I love reading your posts mate so much time and thought provoking information, I’m just trying to say thanks 🙏

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles