Hope sensor magnet

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I have already asked for advice on this subject but was advised to post here just to avoid having to wait for my rotors, I’ve bought some Hope rotors but I seem to have overlooked the speed sensor magnet, I want a Hope magnet to go with the rotors, but I’m unsure what size to buy for my Whyte e150, can anyone with the same bike help with this question please, thanks guys👍

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
I have already asked for advice on this subject but was advised to post here just to avoid having to wait for my rotors, I’ve bought some Hope rotors but I seem to have overlooked the speed sensor magnet, I want a Hope magnet to go with the rotors, but I’m unsure what size to buy for my Whyte e150, can anyone with the same bike help with this question please, thanks guys👍
I used the hope rotor with the standard e150 magnet mate. All i had to do was bend the magnet inwards. When you first fit it with the hope rotors, because there is a sunken bit around the bolt holes, as you tighten the bolts it causes the magnet mount to bend outwards. All i did was fully tighten bolts, undo them and bend the magnet mount inwards just above bolt holes and it will fit flush to rotor.
I hope this makes sense!

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
It makes perfect sense mate, thanks for your reply, at the moment I’m having trouble finding the original magnet so I’ve bought another magnet off eBay with a hole in it and it’s the same size as the rivets on the Hope rotors, I’m gonna mount it to the back of the rotor and it should be powerful enough to trigger the sensor, I did this with my Radiator rotors and it worked flawlessly for over two years 🤞

golfatha

Jan 17, 2023
Northumberland
Hi I’ve got the Hope rotors and I bought the Hope sensor magnet there are 2 versions an R32 & an R24
eg R32 is 32mm from centre of rotor to sensor and the R24 is 24mm from centre of rotor to sensor all this info is on the Hope website

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Yeah I’ve seen the two magnets available from Hope, the trouble is that the R32 doesn’t look like it’s tall enough to reach the sensor on the V1 e150rs and I can’t remember what I did with the original magnet I took off my bike when I fitted my old Uber bike radiator rotors, that’s why I bought a magnet off of eBay, is you bike the 2020 V1 e150 or a later model please, if yours is the V1 and R32 magnet works, I’ll buy the R32 magnet

golfatha

Jan 17, 2023
Northumberland
Yeah I’ve seen the two magnets available from Hope, the trouble is that the R32 doesn’t look like it’s tall enough to reach the sensor on the V1 e150rs and I can’t remember what I did with the original magnet I took off my bike when I fitted my old Uber bike radiator rotors, that’s why I bought a magnet off of eBay, is you bike the 2020 V1 e150 or a later model please, if yours is the V1 and R32 magnet works, I’ll buy the R32 magnet
No sorry my bike is a cube actionteam but was just commenting to let you know the choices and specs of the Hope magnets looking from the none drive side of the bike I.e the rear rotor side I turned the wheel so the magnet was pointing to the 9 o’clock position I then measured from the magnet to my sensor located on the none drive side chain stay and this measurement was 32mm so bingo it was ordered previous to this my cube magnet was like a ring that used to be push fit on the axel and every now and again my motor wouldnt give me any assistance if I’d been stopped for 10 minutes or more but this is totally cured since purchasing the Hope one, Hope (pardon the pun) that this helps a little

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
Bit of a disaster if the glue ever gave way due to cold & wet conditions unless you carry a spare and one & some superglue
They are magents so they stick to the rotor anyway the superglue just helps it stay in place. Plus it's a KSL so it's hardly anymore effort to pedal it anyway.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
No sorry my bike is a cube actionteam but was just commenting to let you know the choices and specs of the Hope magnets looking from the none drive side of the bike I.e the rear rotor side I turned the wheel so the magnet was pointing to the 9 o’clock position I then measured from the magnet to my sensor located on the none drive side chain stay and this measurement was 32mm so bingo it was ordered previous to this my cube magnet was like a ring that used to be push fit on the axel and every now and again my motor wouldnt give me any assistance if I’d been stopped for 10 minutes or more but this is totally cured since purchasing the Hope one, Hope (pardon the pun) that this helps a little
No apology needed mate, I appreciate your feedback, to be honest the R32 might work even though it would be a decent distance away from the speed sensor, when I can see properly again (post eyes surgery) I will have a go with the magnet I’ve bought from eBay 😉

golfatha

Jan 17, 2023
Northumberland
No apology needed mate, I appreciate your feedback, to be honest the R32 might work even though it would be a decent distance away from the speed sensor, when I can see properly again (post eyes surgery) I will have a go with the magnet I’ve bought from eBay 😉
Hope it all works for you 👍

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
If you meant with regards to the surgery, thanks, if you meant the magnet, thanks also, I’m going to buy an A2 stainless steel machine screw and nyloc nut to secure the magnet, that way the machine screw will become magnetic too, I thought that the rivet was made of stainless steel too but it must be made of aluminium as it’s not magnetic, oh well not to worry, I’ve got time on my hands to sort it all out ☹️

golfatha

Jan 17, 2023
Northumberland
If you meant with regards to the surgery, thanks, if you meant the magnet, thanks also, I’m going to buy an A2 stainless steel machine screw and nyloc nut to secure the magnet, that way the machine screw will become magnetic too, I thought that the rivet was made of stainless steel too but it must be made of aluminium as it’s not magnetic, oh well not to worry, I’ve got time on my hands to sort it all out ☹️
Ah well I hope the surgery goes well too & ur back out there soon, here’s a couple of shots of my hope R32 magnet in line with the sensor, what you also have to watch out for is that there is enough clearance between magnet and sensor I’ve got about 3-4mm
IMG_2709.jpeg
IMG_2708.jpeg

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks buddy, and thanks for the pictures too, my speed sensor is in a different place and neither of the Hope magnets is tall enough ☹️ I’ve had one eye done already (right eye) but my vision is all over the place, I’m very short sighted and at the moment I’ve got one lens in my glasses, in my right eye everything is bigger than the left but my vision is still blurred despite the surgery, colours are different between both eyes too, sounds weird but in my right eye everything is brighter and whites are whiter, it’s just horrible at the moment and will only be corrected when my left eye has been operated on and I’ve got new glasses and that’ll be in the New Year ☹️ I can’t work 🥳which is the only good thing at the moment but I’m also unable to drive or do anything that could create dust 😟

golfatha

Jan 17, 2023
Northumberland
Thanks buddy, and thanks for the pictures too, my speed sensor is in a different place and neither of the Hope magnets is tall enough ☹️ I’ve had one eye done already (right eye) but my vision is all over the place, I’m very short sighted and at the moment I’ve got one lens in my glasses, in my right eye everything is bigger than the left but my vision is still blurred despite the surgery, colours are different between both eyes too, sounds weird but in my right eye everything is brighter and whites are whiter, it’s just horrible at the moment and will only be corrected when my left eye has been operated on and I’ve got new glasses and that’ll be in the New Year ☹️ I can’t work 🥳which is the only good thing at the moment but I’m also unable to drive or do anything that could create dust 😟
I feel for you there mate as our sight is the most important thing for us to have so I hope it all goes well and it’s a happy new year for you in the biggest way

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Cheers pal I really appreciate that and you couldn’t be more right, most people don’t really appreciate what we’ve got until it’s not working right, I hope you and yours have an awesome Christmas and New year too buddy 🫡🙏

golfatha

Jan 17, 2023
Northumberland
Cheers pal I really appreciate that and you couldn’t be more right, most people don’t really appreciate what we’ve got until it’s not working right, I hope you and yours have an awesome Christmas and New year too buddy 🫡🙏
Same to you mate and ur family you seem a top fella

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Know how you feel Sean being off the bike. At least it’s winter time so come spring hopefully you will be back out there, as I will. Recover well. The trails will still be there when you’re ready. 👍

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Know how you feel Sean being off the bike. At least it’s winter time so come spring hopefully you will be back out there, as I will. Recover well. The trails will still be there when you’re ready. 👍
I’m sorry to hear your not riding either mate, nothing too serious I hope, I’m keeping everything crossed for a cancellation at the clinic that’s doing my eyes, so I can get out sooner rather than later, your right though mate, the trails will be there, all the best for you Mike 👍🫡

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
This is my method for rectifying the magnet issue on my Hope rotor, a 15mm x 3mm neodymium magnet with a 5mm hole through the middle, an A2 M5 countersunk stainless steel machine screw and an A2 stainless steel nyloc nut, all that can be seen is the head of the machine screw as the magnet is at the back of the rotor, anyway here’s a couple of pictures, I might change the machine screw and nut for an M4 but so far there seems to be no sign of the head of the machine screw fouling on the brake calliper, and the sensor is receiving the signal from the magnet and registering this on my Kiox, I think it’s a neat finish but that’s just me 😁

A2806A36-BF5E-4046-ABDE-D55AFD16DC82.jpeg D44CAA23-56E4-451D-98C2-FEEE6FB6207C.jpeg

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks Mike 🙏I expect there could be even more clearance when I fit my new Hope calliper, there’s one thing I did forget to mention, if anyone else is going to do this modification, be cautious with the magnet as neodymium magnets are brittle and shatter if subjected to excessive pressure, this is my second magnet as I over tightened the first one and it did shatter into several pieces, this one is just nipped up 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles