• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Levociraptor, Turbo Levo motor failure and warranty void.

robertbreyer

Sep 6, 2023
Cape Town
Got a Levociraptor chip with a 2020 Specialized Turbo Levo 2nd gen. Motor failed. Clutch I believe. Second motor. About 2 months old, ridden twice. Specialized won't replace or repair due to "warranty voided".
I did the TCU reset but somehow Specialized still picked it up. Wheel diameter set to 1,000mm.
Any words of advice?
Did the TCU reset not work?
Does Specialized store data on their side with my bike details? Big brother watching me?
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-07 at 16.11.17.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
new motor, new firmware. Just like every brand they continue to develop firmware to defeat derestriction devices. I assume in this case the component scan history can no longer be erased by doing a TCU reset.

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
Got a Levociraptor chip with a 2020 Specialized Turbo Levo 2nd gen. Motor failed. Clutch I believe. Second motor. About 2 months old, ridden twice. Specialized won't replace or repair due to "warranty voided".
I did the TCU reset but somehow Specialized still picked it up. Wheel diameter set to 1,000mm.
Any words of advice?
Did the TCU reset not work?
Does Specialized store data on their side with my bike details? Big brother watching me?
View attachment 131583
So rebuild the motor and move on. Yes, you got caught. Feel free to do anything you want with your rebuilt motor and prepare to rebuild it again.

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Sure it was due to the Levociraptor and not because you went out of the warrenty period? You say it's a gen2, Spec gives 2y of warrenty.

lanceclifford

Feb 11, 2024
Utah, USA
Same thing just happened to me this week. Blew up motor #3 (bike has 6,600 miles on it) on my Kenevo Expert. Have always had Levociraptor on the bike, and have simply removed/reset in the past. Well apparently that doesn't work anymore. They denied me warranty because they saw evidence of the Levociraptor. I sent the motor to ebikemotorrepair.com and they are taking care of it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles