• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Levociraptor vs Peartune for Gen 3 Levo

Mr. Light

Jan 3, 2023
Los Angeles
It’s very hard to find information regarding these products, seems no one wants to admit they run it. I’m looking for people that have real world experience with one or the other, on private land of course…………doesn’t anyone have a friend that has used one of these products?

A friend of mine just purchased a gen 3 Turbo Levo that he intends to ride on private land only. He’s looking for a recommendation on which de-restricter to put on his new Levo (that he only will ride on his private property). Any issues with either of the products throwing error/fault codes? Is there any problem with updating firmware, etc? Really just looking for advice on which one my friend should purchase :)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

bailer

Feb 1, 2023
SaskCan
I’ve got a new ‘22 expert sitting in my garage waiting for the snow to melt.
I’ve been purchasing stuff for it while I can’t ride.

I had decided against a derestricter but somehow ended up ordering the Peartune late one night! I’m not sure I will install it. I will wait until I see how the bike is without it. I decided on the Peartune because supposedly the mastermind maintains correct speed and distance with it.

Mr. Light

Jan 3, 2023
Los Angeles
Yeah I like the sound of that too and I WAS leaning towards it but I saw on some older threads, people saying it‘s installed in a location that is prone to moisture/failure. There’s almost no current feedback regarding the either of the units, haven’t seen anyone say that it doesn’t mess with the ability to update the firmware, etc.

The bike really does need it, IMHO, even here in the states where the limit is higher. 20mph comes up really fast and it’s an abrupt cutoff. Pedaling input feels pretty much worthless, a lot of energy expelled for minimal gain. This makes some jumps a sketchy prospect as many require speeds over 20mph, much more easily achieved on a regular bike.

At this point I think I’m leaning towards the Levociraptor but would sure love to hear some others’ experience in favor of or against

Last edited:

die

Jan 10, 2023
rovereto, italia
it depends on which model you have got, for example for the last turbo levo comp you need levociraptor because peartune doesn't work. Pay attention to your specific bike model.

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
Take a look at the Sb3 B.tuning as well, it was launched a few months back and so far it's been really well received

Accurate speed/distance
Custom max speed
Controlled via your iPhone or Android device

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
It’s very hard to find information regarding these products, seems no one wants to admit they run it. I’m looking for people that have real world experience with one or the other, on private land of course…………doesn’t anyone have a friend that has used one of these products?

A friend of mine just purchased a gen 3 Turbo Levo that he intends to ride on private land only. He’s looking for a recommendation on which de-restricter to put on his new Levo (that he only will ride on his private property). Any issues with either of the products throwing error/fault codes? Is there any problem with updating firmware, etc? Really just looking for advice on which one my friend should purchase :)

Thanks in advance
I have the pear tune on my gen 3 turbo levo, still gives correct speed and distance, i opted for the on/off version which you toggle using the walk assist button. It has worked flawless for me and compared to hitting the brick wall on the stock setting which is so unsatisfying and ruins the whole riding experience.
The only risk i took was if i had an issue with the motor it could be (Possibly) detected that i have used a chip but that is a risk i am prepared to take, i still ride with care and don't put any more stress on the bike than riding derestricted, i have never exceeded 30mph on it and i avg around 17-20mph and far less when off road and i can do the same on my none electric bike so people who claim it will break the components are talking rubbish, only accelerated wear on the chain and cassette but providing you use the gears correctly and dont take the P in turbo mode then your be good.
The only part of the bike it effects after the chain and cassette are the brake pads due to higher avg speeds when out and about which i can live with and is the case with bikes that weigh 24kg+..

Last edited:

Bolet

Apr 12, 2022
Spain
Take a look at the Sb3 B.tuning as well, it was launched a few months back and so far it's been really well received

Accurate speed/distance
Custom max speed

Hello George.

Can detect the seller when it has been uninstalled? For warranty?

Thank you

spenny

May 10, 2023
Italy
Hi, I have a Levo SL 2020, I tried the PT MSO (with on/off function) for months and I had no problems, I also did a Specialized firmware update with the chip installed (turned off) without any consequences.
I have installed the Velociraptor gen 2 for a month and the first difference I noticed is that good assistance is perceived even in ECO, which I did not notice with the PT.
It is simple to install without having to run the cable down to the engine.
The km and speed are correct, it has 5 adjustable speeds from the BLevo app, it has a thermometer, barometer, BT and is automatically deactivated and sends GPS coordinates after crash detection.
I would say that's all.

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA

Accurate speed/distance
Custom max speed

Hi George
I was under the impression that the Mastermind TCU will not display the correct speed or distance with any brand of de-restrictor ?

MrBaallack

Jul 2, 2023
Copenhagen, Denmark
I went testing a Levo at an authorized shop and had a good chat with the guy. I felt he was really competent and new what he was talking about.

He told me a story with a guy on a gravel bike, who came in for some warranty work. It had a fault which the mechanic haven’t seen before, so he called up Specialized.
Specialized took a look at the data and within 5 minutes they told him to reject any warranty work, because it was tuned. I don’t think the fault code was related.

He told me that could see that the derestricter changed the circumference to a specific number to get a specific speed. The circumference in the system was 800 mm instead of 2000 mm+
That will makes it it run faster without the bike knowing it.

But, with my background in automotive technologies, my logic tells me that Specialized wouldn’t be able to se it if the device is uninstalled again before going in. If the tuning devices run as my LBS guy told me, which makes sense, the controller will never register the high speeds. The devices that can show the real speed could be a problem, but then again, it could be a simple signal alternation to the display (newer levos) or of the device showing the speed.

So, I’m pretty sure that Specialized wouldn’t be able to, or at least not be able to find out right away.
Maybe I’m underestimating Specialized and maybe they’re able to se everything 😅✌️

Any one having real experience with warranty work done with a derestricted bike? With the device installed and with the devise uninstalled prior to warranty work?

Mr. Light

Jan 3, 2023
Los Angeles
I went testing a Levo at an authorized shop and had a good chat with the guy. I felt he was really competent and new what he was talking about.

He told me a story with a guy on a gravel bike, who came in for some warranty work. It had a fault which the mechanic haven’t seen before, so he called up Specialized.
Specialized took a look at the data and within 5 minutes they told him to reject any warranty work, because it was tuned. I don’t think the fault code was related.

He told me that could see that the derestricter changed the circumference to a specific number to get a specific speed. The circumference in the system was 800 mm instead of 2000 mm+
That will makes it it run faster without the bike knowing it.

But, with my background in automotive technologies, my logic tells me that Specialized wouldn’t be able to se it if the device is uninstalled again before going in. If the tuning devices run as my LBS guy told me, which makes sense, the controller will never register the high speeds. The devices that can show the real speed could be a problem, but then again, it could be a simple signal alternation to the display (newer levos) or of the device showing the speed.

So, I’m pretty sure that Specialized wouldn’t be able to, or at least not be able to find out right away.
Maybe I’m underestimating Specialized and maybe they’re able to se everything 😅✌️

Any one having real experience with warranty work done with a derestricted bike? With the device installed and with the devise uninstalled prior to warranty work?
I received DMs from a couple people who said they'd done warranty claims with no issue, just removed the chip and took it in. I will say, the bike is so good unlocked that it's well worth it even if the warranty did get denied. Just my $.02

JayMartin

May 26, 2021
Denver, CO USA
Been running the pear tune on my 2022 levo comp carbon for 1800 miles. Motor finally went. Removed pear tune chip and got a new motor and battery harness under warranty with no questions asked
Does delimiting contribute to motor failure? I've got 2,000 miles on my 2021 and was thinking about doing it. But obviously, I don't want motor problems so far out of warranty.
Thanks,
Jay

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Does delimiting contribute to motor failure? I've got 2,000 miles on my 2021 and was thinking about doing it. But obviously, I don't want motor problems so far out of warranty.
Thanks,
Jay
No and why would it? To low cadence, incorrect gear shitfting, incorrectly washing the bike, these are the things that kill motors. Chips dont put any more stress on the motors, they dont force the motor to work harder or faster, the motor still works within the spec.

Abbyrider

Feb 13, 2024
California
I have the pear tune on my gen 3 turbo levo, still gives correct speed and distance, i opted for the on/off version which you toggle using the walk assist button. It has worked flawless for me and compared to hitting the brick wall on the stock setting which is so unsatisfying and ruins the whole riding experience.
The only risk i took was if i had an issue with the motor it could be (Possibly) detected that i have used a chip but that is a risk i am prepared to take, i still ride with care and don't put any more stress on the bike than riding derestricted, i have never exceeded 30mph on it and i avg around 17-20mph and far less when off road and i can do the same on my none electric bike so people who claim it will break the components are talking rubbish, only accelerated wear on the chain and cassette but providing you use the gears correctly and dont take the P in turbo mode then your be good.
The only part of the bike it effects after the chain and cassette are the brake pads due to higher avg speeds when out and about which i can live with and is the case with bikes that weigh 24kg+..
May I ask if you used the Pear Tune MSO 4.0 vs MSO (are they different?) on your Gen 3 Turbo Levo, and by Gen 3 does that mean your bike has the SL 1.2 Mahle motor? I have a Turbo Levo SL Kids 2023 with that motor but there is conflicting information on websites (twowheelsempire) and on this thread as to whether the Pear Tune is compatible. I'm riding a kids bike because I'm really short. . .but I'm an adult and don't want to be limited that much. Thank you.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles