Cube with Bosch CX 4th gen.

ABMichal

Jul 18, 2023
Česko
Cube Bosch - creaking

Hi, i have already made 1 post about this problem but i still could not solve it.

I have cube hybrid reaction race 2021 with bosch performance cx 4t gen.

My main problem is when i do pedal hard sometimes i dont even have to pedal hard but it makes creaking noises.

There are a lot of forums on google that these motors have loose bolts, so i ordered set and unscrewed every bolt put grease there and torqued it except one smaller bolt that could not be accesed without taking the motor out (well it was the only bolt i could see but could not torque because of no room). But well i have f*cked 2 small screws as i “destroyed” their heads but i torqued them and one small on the bottom has a problem - i cant torque it because it spins, the thread doesnt look bad if i see it correctly but cannot be torqued…

I have cleaned my chain and it stopped making big creaks but continued to make smaller ones.

Now as im writing this i have made a ride on my property and it made pretty big scary creaks and somewhat of squeaks added to it.

Im getting hopeless, maybe its just derailleur hanger (can i somehow say if its the hanger? Without any tool?) or derailleur itself I just dont know. Does anybody has any ideas? Thx

Update: i have torqued the crank arm as much as i could and the big creaks are away. It still makes rarely small creaks and i have unlocked new sound - it sounds like if you hit your frame of a bike with skin (then it hurts :D). I would assume its a rubber. I have put wd-40 on one of my crank bearing? That thing you take out when you unscrew the allen key.

Last edited:

ANzgb

Jul 18, 2023
Croatia
Hello, i have Cube Reaction Hybrid too, and craking noise starts after around 150-200 kikometars. And cranking noise from head tube also.
I was 2 times at regular service, 1st at around 500 kilometars and second time at around 2200 and every time i mention that and they dont hear it.
And bike is only driven from home to work, not muddy nor wet condition all road. And now after 2800 kilometers cranking stops by itself.
I dont know it thats a good thing or not.

Regards,

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Im getting hopeless
Sounds like you need to take it to a shop or someone experienced in fixing bikes. You need to isolate where the noise is coming from - common places other than motor mounts or cranks/pedals include the seat rails, lower headset bearing, freehub (the part that the cassette fits on). The chain shouldn't make any creaks if it's lubricated.

ANzgb

Jul 18, 2023
Croatia
Sounds like you need to take it to a shop or someone experienced in fixing bikes. You need to isolate where the noise is coming from - common places other than motor mounts or cranks/pedals include the seat rails, lower headset bearing, freehub (the part that the cassette fits on). The chain shouldn't make any creaks if it's lubricated.
Probably i should but i guess i have to video the noise or else the wont do a thing. But now noise is gone, they didnt bother to fix it when noise was here now when its gone i think there is no point of saying something. Sad but true.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
Probably i should but i guess i have to video the noise or else the wont do a thing. But now noise is gone, they didnt bother to fix it when noise was here now when its gone i think there is no point of saying something. Sad but true.
Hi @ANzgb

In this situation, the best thing you can do is remove the motor and fix the stripped bolts and threads, removing the motor is easy, use loctite instead of grease when you torque them up.

This will have to be done by you or any competent mechanic (car or motorbike). I doubt a bike mechanic would touch it as you have voided the warranty by what you have done so far, which is fine.

The earlier Gen 4 motors had smaller bolts, with the odd torque head, holding the mounting plates on so these were a known weak point. Either cut a larger thread and get some appropriate-sized bolts or use a helicoil to repair the current one (a helicoil is stronger than original).

My first creak which was as you described came from a loose crank arm...

ABMichal

Jul 18, 2023
Česko
My first creak which was as you described came from a loose crank arm...
Well i have torqued the crank today as much as i could with my short wrench and voala it doesnt make these big creaks. But still makes small ones rarely. Also i have unlocked new sound and i would describe it as if you are riding and you scratch yourself against the frame of the bike. (Skin vs frame). I would assume its some kind of rubber. I have put wd-40 on one of the cranks but not the other, could it be this? Thank you!

Jasonr6

Sep 8, 2023
Kent
My problems creaking after changing lots of drive chain components and giving up and taking to a Bosch motor expert ? Found out that the motor mount bolt was eating into the soft alloy so now the frame is having to be replaced 🤦🏻

IMG_4085.jpeg

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Throw that tin of WD 40 in the bin. It's for water displacement. That's what the WD stands for and it's not designed as a lubricant. GT 85 with teflon is what you need on your bike. I can't help with your creaking though as most of them take some finding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles