YT SL ebike

osgrooves

Apr 26, 2021
UK
Does anyone know if YT are going to release an upcoming SL ebike in the next month? MBR magazine speculated that they would release one this year in one of their videos and I got an email from YT saying they are going to do a product release just before the Hurtwood Enduro on the 14th July. I am thinking of buying another brand but tempted to hold out if they’re about to release a Jeffsy SL. Anyone heard any rumours?

Larsey

Feb 4, 2018
MN
So with 170mm it will be a Capra style SL. I was hoping for a 140/150ish travel SL

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I'd like a 180/190ish bike with an sx motor. E tues. Sub 45lb so i can spin up climb trails and logging roads to lap dh trails and ride lifts/shuttle. So smallish battery x2. 2 x 400w batteries. Itll probably end up being a shorter travel sl bike though.
Scroll to the 5:37 mark in this vid "we have something more for this space soon"/paraphrasing

Gaba83

Dec 14, 2022
Switzerland
I am also interested, I have ordered the new Orbea Rise LT, I could still cancel the order, but I am tired to wait YT to realease something, they are too late in my opinion... Same for Canyon, I am disappointed with the new Fly:ON....

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Here we go

Screenshot_20240708_052336_YouTube.jpg

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Where are the YT SL rumours coming from? Since the DJI announcement, I feel like most sub 80nm motors are going to be a hard sell.

Personally I would bet on an updated frame and battery, but sticking to an EP801. The new Rise is clearly showing that is a valid design, reliability to be determined...

The fact this is coming just after eurobike makes me think it won't be a new motor brand otherwise it would have been announced in tandem with DJI or ZF or Pinion last week.

In an embn video, Steve Jones specifically showed a new Bosch CX, and we can deduce that they will be using removable 2x400wh as a platform, which is another very nice alternative to an SL design.

Looking forward to be completely wrong in a few hours.

Gaba83

Dec 14, 2022
Switzerland
it is not full power unfortunately, it is already online on the YT webpage, it is a 21 kg Enduro with Fazua 60... really disappointed...

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Fazua not delivering on RE at all...at least Relay has removable battery. A day late and a dollar short.
Im just not up to date on fazua. The bike itself looks to be a ton of fun. I see a lot of complaints on motor durability and service but then i see a lot of people really enjoying them and saying problems have been addressed. But some of those people are a bit chafed they havent seen the extenders fazua were supposed to have out by now. Current motor looks like range is fairly good for the size of battery but it does leave some rides crossed of the list. I'll wait and see how long term tests go. I like the idea of bosch durability, service, parts availability, rebuildabilty and available battery extender currently available but i do like yt and how my decoy has been. No rush. Like alpine touring ski bindings i never by first or even 2nd year latest greatest. There's alway little improvements after initial change

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I love my Relay with the F60 and Fazua just announced the new battery, same form factor but it's a 480 watt unit.

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
I like the motor choice and the component choice for this bike. is it the lightest SL out there? no. but it on par with other SL enduro style ebikes like the Mondraker DUNE and kenevo SL. also on par with power compared to the other SL ebikes out there. The Decoy SN is still a scoosh heavier but you also have to look at the specs of the other bikes in its class. they offer carbon wheels and put lighter tires on for one. i bet real world this bike is spot on weight wise. not much has to be changed on this bike whereas the others people will tend to put heavier tires on and coils and so on. put carbon wheels and lighter tires and this bike prob will get close to the 42lb mark.

SL ebikes are not for everyone though. the people complaining are just sour cause they want a full fat. the OG decoy is still available and still very relevant motor and geo wise. For people that want a lighter less powerful ebike this is another option in a ever increasing lineup of options. I for one will be selling my OG decoy to get this cause i fit in the camp of wanting less power. i am fit and prefer a bit more of a workout than what i get on my OG decoy. also tend to ride my Capra more and this new one could very well replace both.

Suteki

May 10, 2023
Toowoomba
I dont really know what people are upset about.

Most of these SL bikes they are comparing are shorter travel with less heavy duty components and light weight tyres. I swear some companies are purposefully putting on very light weight casing tyres JUST for the headline weight figure when in reality most people will probably immediately put on more heavy duty casings and find their bikes all in the same ballpark figures.

For the spec offered here the weight seems bang on. It's never going to be a lighter weight trail bike, it's a heavier, longer travel enduro bike.

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
I dont really know what people are upset about.

Most of these SL bikes they are comparing are shorter travel with less heavy duty components and light weight tyres. I swear some companies are purposefully putting on very light weight casing tyres JUST for the headline weight figure when in reality most people will probably immediately put on more heavy duty casings and find their bikes all in the same ballpark figures.

For the spec offered here the weight seems bang on. It's never going to be a lighter weight trail bike, it's a heavier, longer travel enduro bike.
Fully agree. some people just cant wrap their heads around that fact.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Fazua ride 60(kms until it breaks down).

Sweet, don't need to bother reading anything else about the bike so.

Respectfully, that's a load of shit. I have a Fazua Ride 60 and it's great - it might well die in the future, and probably will. My previous Bosch CX did as well at just over 1k miles.

Have you not realised yet that we're all beta testers with this tech? Spesialized were masters at selling crappy motors a while ago, that's maybe changed - I don't know.

But if you've never used a Ride 60 motor, then you can't fairly comment. I bet you this new YT is a superb bike to ride. There's a 2 year warranty on the motor which is par for the course.

The range extender, yes, for those that want/need them that's not a good situation I definitely agree..

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Respectfully, that's a load of shit. I have a Fazua Ride 60 and it's great - it might well die in the future, and probably will. My previous Bosch CX did as well at just over 1k miles.

Have you not realised yet that we're all beta testers with this tech? Spesialized were masters at selling crappy motors a while ago, that's maybe changed - I don't know.

But if you've never used a Ride 60 motor, then you can't fairly comment. I bet you this new YT is a superb bike to ride. There's a 2 year warranty on the motor which is par for the course.

The range extender, yes, for those that want/need them that's not a good situation I definitely agree..
Solid reasoning. I saw today on the yt youtube question and answer vid if there are any problems you yt looks after it rather than fazua. Ive found yt very ez to deal with. Quick email reply or phone call. Thats yt north america. Ive had parts shipped within a week of ordering them from california to new brunswick across the border on the other side of tge continent. My first shimano e8000 died after 1800kms. After 4 months of nothing from shimano canada i reached out to yt. They had me a motor in 3 days with a paid return slip/box for my blown motor. I should have just called yt initially. Good thing i had a bike park and gondola to do laps for those 4 months.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France

That's fair, I have never ridden a fazua, and the only one I have seen in the wild seems to have lasted long. But there are some serious horror stories on this forum.

But my issues go beyond the reliability. Why are YT charging twice the price for the SN when it will have so much less power and range then the decoy? I know this isn't specific to YT.

I rode a 70Nm Shimano motor for 5 years with a 504wh battery. After 3-4 years and 10,000km, on a cold wet winter's day the battery would not last an hour in the top assistance mode. Considering these SL bikes have such small non replaceable batteries that are going to be cycled frequently, I think they will age very poorly.

I have had 2 YTs, but looks to me like they are coming out way too late to the party with this.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I'm going to go ahead and say, this will probably be my next ebike. I'm not currently in the market for a new one, but I will more than likely have one at some point. I like the way YT bikes ride, and this one is the best to date. I will wait a year or two and pick up a core 2 for 5k and be happy.

One thing about the price is you have to look at the fact that the Decoy MX is currently on sale. The MSRP on both the MX and SN are exactly the same, and I believe the SN is better speced. Knowing YT, the SN will be on sale before the end of the year.

I think this bike is right where I want to be. I like burly components and would love a lighter bike. Even at 48lbs its 10lbs lighter than my current bike. That will be massive. Yt specifily said with this bike they used everything they have learned over the years. They said they were looking to build the best enduro bike, not enduro ebike. That just happens to be an ebike.

The big selling point for me will be the fact that it doesn't look like an ebike. I was almost sold on a Relay, but it still looks like an ebike. This one does not. Its as clean as the Heckler SL or the Fuel Exe. Where I live there is alot of riding that is not ebike legal. I usually just ride anyway, but they are starting to issue tickets now.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I like the motor choice and the component choice for this bike. is it the lightest SL out there? no. but it on par with other SL enduro style ebikes like the Mondraker DUNE and kenevo SL. also on par with power compared to the other SL ebikes out there. The Decoy SN is still a scoosh heavier but you also have to look at the specs of the other bikes in its class. they offer carbon wheels and put lighter tires on for one. i bet real world this bike is spot on weight wise. not much has to be changed on this bike whereas the others people will tend to put heavier tires on and coils and so on. put carbon wheels and lighter tires and this bike prob will get close to the 42lb mark.

SL ebikes are not for everyone though. the people complaining are just sour cause they want a full fat. the OG decoy is still available and still very relevant motor and geo wise. For people that want a lighter less powerful ebike this is another option in a ever increasing lineup of options. I for one will be selling my OG decoy to get this cause i fit in the camp of wanting less power. i am fit and prefer a bit more of a workout than what i get on my OG decoy. also tend to ride my Capra more and this new one could very well replace both.
Fully agree. some people just cant wrap their heads around that fact.

Exactly.

A proper Pro's pedal Enduro bike weighs 37-38#s ready to rip. Add a class leading mid power motor and battery and 44-47#s is where we end up. This isn't surprising.

Then some fool jumps on, mouths off about how his 130mm travel size small e-bike with 800 gram tires, inline air shock/ 34mm fork, 150mm dropper, no bash guard and with no pedals only weighs 45#s, so why is this 'new' bike so heavy. These people just don't know what they are talking about.

The YT Sl/ SN is right where it needs to be and frankly where any bike would end up with these sorts of components.

Full power e-bikes weigh 10#s more with a similar spec and really need even more burly components to deal with the extra forces, which would increase the weight even further. The thing is, going from about 45#s to 55#s dramatically changes the personality of your e-bike and some of us still want a 'bicycle' but just want to suffer less on the climbs while also not having to make any spec compromises to make the climbs more bearable. I don't want a motor bike, and full powers really seem to be broaching that line.

The new Nicolai with the Pinion weighs over 60#s. That's quite a ways from my 44.4# XL Relay with dual coil suspension, 1350 gram rear tire, tools and pedals on board. It's literally 36% heavier!

The way I see the market going is that full power e-bikes will be the more social use lower spec e-bikes, built to save money while being very reliable with no concern for weight, costing around $5K and weighing around 60#s. And the mid-power bikes will be the 'biker's e-bike' and will be full on enduro slayers with the absolute latest in technology, always CF frames and commonly cost $7-12K.

Worth noting is that Fazua is offering a fixed 475 watt battery this year, and the quick swap version next year. These are the same form factor as the old ones so you just swap them out. This part is just my opinion, but as Fazua continues to work the bugs out, I suspect they will start offering the 450 watts that is currently only available in boost mode, full time. Or maybe just 400 watts (up from the current 350). At this point we will have some pretty serious power and watts in a mid power package.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles