Will going faster make it easier?

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Stick to the beginner trails until you get comfortable and slowly progress to more difficult/technical trails. The motor is a two-edged sword. The extra power lets you ride things which would be very difficult normally, but you can also be riding at an 'unnatural' speed which makes losing control/hitting a tree/etc more likely, as well as magnifying the consequences.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
you can also be riding at an 'unnatural' speed which makes losing control/hitting a tree/etc more likely, as well as magnifying the consequences.
that surgey nature of it with more than 50% assist makes me overshoot corners so i set the FF to 30% unless it's a wide open track or climbing

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Whilst you're trying to advance, don't avoid things. Like leaving the car park at the start, you should have forced yourself to ride through the chicane to practice balance and looking ahead. You generally swerve around small roots on the trail, you probably want to ride over these to get used to how the bike reacts and to prove to yourself that you can.
Completely agree. My Achilles heel is tight switchbacks. A local trail has a bypass you can blast straight up, especially on an ebike, but lately I’ve been taking the switchbacks for practice. Still bomb straight down though :). On easier trails I sometimes ride over crap just to stay in tune. Turning to avoid can be riskier than than hitting some things head-on.

True romance

Apr 26, 2020
UK
So quick update. We have just got back from Wyre forest which have a few trails that are not to difficult although some sections we passed on due to the steep drops. Went with a change of mind set and taking in all the advice (which has been brilliant I may add) we tried to just attack the trails with more momentum and less worrying about avoiding rocks, roots and other obstacles. The results (bear in mind we've had lots of rain so the trails were very slippery) was a revelation! We both said we felt an improvement of around 15-20% compare to last week. Felt much more confident and in control with no mishaps along the way. Don't get me wrong we wasn't ripping up the trails (still taking it relatively steady) and are still far from anywhere near tackling more advance trails but by just finding out what our bikes are able to do is slowly building our confidence.

So the journey continues.....

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
So quick update. We have just got back from Wyre forest which have a few trails that are not to difficult although some sections we passed on due to the steep drops. Went with a change of mind set and taking in all the advice (which has been brilliant I may add) we tried to just attack the trails with more momentum and less worrying about avoiding rocks, roots and other obstacles. The results (bear in mind we've had lots of rain so the trails were very slippery) was a revelation! We both said we felt an improvement of around 15-20% compare to last week. Felt much more confident and in control with no mishaps along the way. Don't get me wrong we wasn't ripping up the trails (still taking it relatively steady) and are still far from anywhere near tackling more advance trails but by just finding out what our bikes are able to do is slowly building our confidence.

So the journey continues.....

the 29 tires still surprise me everyday, they roll Over things, that are sometimes scary, With such ease.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
You could be onto something here .. the future tyre name thread ..

The Michelin Roll over things (to steal more from above ...)...
First thing that came to mind was the Michelin Man that looks like a bread roll...

Unknown.jpeg

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Just time on the bike mate.

Weirdly if you go too slow and panic brake, it's more dangerous than faster and sending it. The bike, in most instances, will save you. A Kenevo will for example allow for a multitude of errors!! Kneepads always (and Elbow if your starting) and if you can't afford time off work then defo Body Armor.

I don't think anyone on here can give you a titbit that will change your riding or make you go quicker. Just get out and in the saddle as often as you can and you'll get faster. +1 for a coaching session. Don't drag a bad habit three years into your riding..

All I was told as others have said: Elbows out and look ahead and down the trail, not at your front wheel. You head towards danger you're fixating on..!

'It never gets easier, you just get faster.'

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I don't actually enjoy just bouncing off everything. I've been dialling it back a bit and choosing my lines - staying in control. I think I just like more technical - not rely on big burly suspension. Braking before, then letting go over rocky sections or dropping through deep wash outs. Avoiding those big rocks and roots etc. Maybe it's because the rocks here are pointy :LOL:.

Mar 29, 2021
UK
Hi all, recently got my emtb and have hit a few trails with my brother. Now we're both very new to emtb and trails plus are on the more mature side so not planning on doing anything extreme. So we're starting slow on some mixed trails that most would class as very mild I'd guess. However last weekend we went to Hopton woods and quite frankly it scared the shit out of us. Only did a very small section and bottled it. Now discussing things later and watching other riders got me thinking maybe we're just to slow? Does speed increase stability? We are literally just plodding around and I feel an increase in speed would possibly make things a little easier to tackle? Or am I just talking rubbish? Loving this new adventure but after last weekend think we're possibly out of our depth?

Cheers,
TR.
My advice would be to get some coaching if you are new to the sport.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles