Who is riding with 2 battery ?

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
I'm considering a rail.
Living in the Alps and being a tall -and so not so light- rider, i would need a second battery to be able to access higt altitude godness.

Do you have 2 batteries ?
Did you order the second cover at the same time as your bike ?
Are the 2 battery aligned exactly the same ?
Witch backpack do you use to carry the second battery ?

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
I have 2 batteries, bought it at the same time as my bike, got a nice discount as well with the cover included.
Battery is back at the dealer though, it fell out first ride with it. The lock has been adjusted now and the dealer has put a warranty claim in for the cover. Still to get a new backpack yet, but it will be an evoc or ergon.

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
I have 2 batteries, bought it at the same time as my bike, got a nice discount as well with the cover included.
Battery is back at the dealer though, it fell out first ride with it. The lock has been adjusted now and the dealer has put a warranty claim in for the cover. Still to get a new backpack yet, but it will be an evoc or ergon.
Can you let me know which back pack you went for please as I'm interested if the battery fits and how it feels thanks

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
I have a rail on test this weekend, and did 1100m of climbing in emtb mode before depleting the 625wh battery completely.

If i buy one, i would for sure need a 2nd batt for high altitude rides. I took the batt out, it looks very big to be put into a bag...

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Depends on your Battery brand mate? EVOC do a pack with a battery holder and back protector..

Plenty of space for all-day rides at altitude and lunch!

You can just get a LEVO battery in there if you remove the rockguard.

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
Living in the Alps and being a tall -and so not so light- rider, i would need a second battery to be able to access higt altitude godness.

Depends on how high you want to go, and how steep things are, and how much support you need of course.

The advantage of already living in the alps is that you tend to start out at high altitude, for instance getting to 1500m for me is only a 600m alt difference.

As you say not so light... when I take my little dude along, thus including Thule cart I got the extra ~40kg behind me on top of my own not so light weight; then taking into consideration muscle power (the more you provide, the less the bike has to do), in my case that ratio seems to be ~60% bike, 30% me depending on the path taken (and I turn to 'off' for downhill and "flat" (does not exist here really) areas), and I working hard on improving that, which means more weight for muscles but less weight because of that spare fuel called fat.
Taking those factors into account, I have gotten down to 20% battery in solely riding eMBTB mode on my Rail 9 + Thule Sport + kiddo, when doing 2x 500m altitude difference (up one hill, ride down in the middle ["weeeeeeee...." from the back ;) ], up another hill). Which IMHO is pretty darn good for the battery. Then with getting there and back home again, is a decent few hours of riding and proper exercise that will keep my muscles nice and toasty till the day after.

As such, yes, maybe, for a much longer trip, a second battery can be helpful; I have definitely considered it already. In my case though I can just toss that in the back of the thule, won't notice much of it though.

Hence, like a EV car, driving with battery, takes a wee bit of planning and knowing how much you consume.
But unlike an EV car, with a bike if you are running out, you can always, say at 20% left, turn to ECO mode for instance, which will still support you (so you are not completely dead muscle wise). You will be slower, but you'll get forward, which can just get you over a hill.

The good thing is, at least if you run out at the top, going back down is still easy ;)

Also, if you think you might have access to a charger during your trip, could always consider taking a charger along and taking a break. Though with biking and weight of the charger and duration of charge, I think the extra battery might be more useful.

PS: Many bikes 'peak out' at 130kg load on the bike itself, check manufacturer just in case. (bit silly btw, as when you are above those weights, an e-bike is excellent way to get you out there and to get started with exercise to lower that weight you have with you... just be warned due to extra wear on breaks/tires etc; I personally do not think it is too harmful)

Doug_m

Jan 28, 2020
Aberdeenshire
I'm tempted to upgrade my Rail 5 500wh battery to a 625wh.
Does anyone know what battery is correct, vertical or horizontal?
Wouldnt like to order the wrong one... ? ?

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
I'm tempted to upgrade my Rail 5 500wh battery to a 625wh.
Does anyone know what battery is correct, vertical or horizontal?
Wouldnt like to order the wrong one... ? ?

Check Trek Rail Parts Diagram - Aluminium - EMTB Forums which has the schematics.
Though that is for MY2020, should be mostly same for others as the RIB did not change too much.

Rumor is that MY2022 will see ~750W batteries coming btw... though with current shortages globally in the supply chain, I expect these parts to come around later (spring 2022, instead of usual summer/autum 2021) than sooner...

Doug_m

Jan 28, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Check Trek Rail Parts Diagram - Aluminium - EMTB Forums which has the schematics.
Though that is for MY2020, should be mostly same for others as the RIB did not change too much.

Rumor is that MY2022 will see ~750W batteries coming btw... though with current shortages globally in the supply chain, I expect these parts to come around later (spring 2022, instead of usual summer/autum 2021) than sooner...

I've had a look at the diagram but it doesn't specify vertical or horizontal, Only powertube mentioned.
Or am I missing something?

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
I've had a look at the diagram but it doesn't specify vertical or horizontal, Only powertube mentioned.
Or am I missing something?

Ah, I thought it was there, but it indeed is not.

The best most accurate way is to check your current battery (this as Trek manuals mention them, not which one goes in your bike).

Take the battery out, and check the serial part, you should see something like:

That "BPP291" in the picture is the important part (boxed in red).

BBP291.jpg

I am aware of the following models:

"US" Models:
BBP287 = PowerTube 400 Horizontal
BBP288 = PowerTube 400 Vertical
BBP285 = PowerTube 500 Horizontal
BBP287 = PowerTube 500 Vertical
BBP295 = PowerTube 625 Horizontal
BBP296 = PowerTube 625 Vertical

"EU" Models:
BBP282 = PowerTube 400 Horizontal
BBP283 = PowerTube 400 Vertical
BBP280 = PowerTube 500 Horizontal
BBP281 = PowerTube 500 Vertical
BBP290 = PowerTube 625 Horizontal
BBP291 = PowerTube 625 Vertical

Thus if you currently have a BBP285 (horizontal), upgrade to a BBP295 or BBP290), etc.

Do note that if you just "buy the battery", if you are going to then go on a trip, you need to bring the few tools along to dismount the bracket, and mount the other battery, some people manage it in 20 mins, but maybe you want to do something else during a rest than that, especially if other folks if you are riding in a group are enjoying a proper rest ;)

Trek and your favourite local bike shop sell the RIB as a package, and then you have a battery cover and everything in one go, which is a bit heavier due to the cover, but it will save you on finicking with it in a place where you might not have the most clean conditions, or drop the tools etc etc.

Even with longer rides I've only depleted mine down to 11%, but I have the rule to simply stop climbing and try to head down again at 20%.

Attachments

• Bosch-eBike-Battery_MY20_WEU_oReg.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 764

Doug_m

Jan 28, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Ah, I thought it was there, but it indeed is not.

The best most accurate way is to check your current battery (this as Trek manuals mention them, not which one goes in your bike).

Take the battery out, and check the serial part, you should see something like:

That "BPP291" in the picture is the important part (boxed in red).

View attachment 39003

I am aware of the following models:

"US" Models:
BBP287 = PowerTube 400 Horizontal
BBP288 = PowerTube 400 Vertical
BBP285 = PowerTube 500 Horizontal
BBP287 = PowerTube 500 Vertical
BBP295 = PowerTube 625 Horizontal
BBP296 = PowerTube 625 Vertical

"EU" Models:
BBP282 = PowerTube 400 Horizontal
BBP283 = PowerTube 400 Vertical
BBP280 = PowerTube 500 Horizontal
BBP281 = PowerTube 500 Vertical
BBP290 = PowerTube 625 Horizontal
BBP291 = PowerTube 625 Vertical

Thus if you currently have a BBP285 (horizontal), upgrade to a BBP295 or BBP290), etc.

Do note that if you just "buy the battery", if you are going to then go on a trip, you need to bring the few tools along to dismount the bracket, and mount the other battery, some people manage it in 20 mins, but maybe you want to do something else during a rest than that, especially if other folks if you are riding in a group are enjoying a proper rest ;)

Trek and your favourite local bike shop sell the RIB as a package, and then you have a battery cover and everything in one go, which is a bit heavier due to the cover, but it will save you on finicking with it in a place where you might not have the most clean conditions, or drop the tools etc etc.

Even with longer rides I've only depleted mine down to 11%, but I have the rule to simply stop climbing and try to head down again at 20%.

Wow Jeroen, what an incredible reply!
Thanks for your time and effort to help me out, total Dude ?.

Indeed my number matches to the BBP 281- 500wh vertical.

My plan would really be to buy to replace my 500 and sell it on so the upgrade doesn't cost so much. I can't see myself doing anything quite that epic to need 1150wh of battery ?.

Now to get quotes from the dealers.

Cheers again!

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I have 625wh battery and I simply don't have enough stamina to ride second battery. MAYBE some gravel road touring but then it's my ass that can't take it.

When my condition(?) get's better I hope Bosch has finally made a display that I can adjust the EMTB to lower assistance level and therefore get more range.

My bike (RAIL 5 2020) initially arrived with wrong 500wh battery and I got it changed to correct one.

olde-mtber

Nov 1, 2019
New Zealand
Depends on how high you want to go, and how steep things are, and how much support you need of course.

The advantage of already living in the alps is that you tend to start out at high altitude, for instance getting to 1500m for me is only a 600m alt difference.

As you say not so light... when I take my little dude along, thus including Thule cart I got the extra ~40kg behind me on top of my own not so light weight; then taking into consideration muscle power (the more you provide, the less the bike has to do), in my case that ratio seems to be ~60% bike, 30% me depending on the path taken (and I turn to 'off' for downhill and "flat" (does not exist here really) areas), and I working hard on improving that, which means more weight for muscles but less weight because of that spare fuel called fat.
Taking those factors into account, I have gotten down to 20% battery in solely riding eMBTB mode on my Rail 9 + Thule Sport + kiddo, when doing 2x 500m altitude difference (up one hill, ride down in the middle ["weeeeeeee...." from the back ;) ], up another hill). Which IMHO is pretty darn good for the battery. Then with getting there and back home again, is a decent few hours of riding and proper exercise that will keep my muscles nice and toasty till the day after.

As such, yes, maybe, for a much longer trip, a second battery can be helpful; I have definitely considered it already. In my case though I can just toss that in the back of the thule, won't notice much of it though.

Hence, like a EV car, driving with battery, takes a wee bit of planning and knowing how much you consume.
But unlike an EV car, with a bike if you are running out, you can always, say at 20% left, turn to ECO mode for instance, which will still support you (so you are not completely dead muscle wise). You will be slower, but you'll get forward, which can just get you over a hill.

The good thing is, at least if you run out at the top, going back down is still easy ;)

Also, if you think you might have access to a charger during your trip, could always consider taking a charger along and taking a break. Though with biking and weight of the charger and duration of charge, I think the extra battery might be more useful.

PS: Many bikes 'peak out' at 130kg load on the bike itself, check manufacturer just in case. (bit silly btw, as when you are above those weights, an e-bike is excellent way to get you out there and to get started with exercise to lower that weight you have with you... just be warned due to extra wear on breaks/tires etc; I personally do not think it is too harmful)
The great thing with Trek is the estimated distance left info. It has not let me down yet. But it does get a little worrying at times as the is drop because of a hill and power mode but then back on reasonably flat ground and in eco mode it soon recalculated the distance and find you only lost 5-10ks on that climb sometimes it's a lot more but I generally know and can work out how many is I need to get home. Once I had 8ks left and 5ks away from home it was going to be tight fortunately a tail wind came up and got home with 6ks left.

Manicm

Apr 23, 2020
Birmingham
I worryingly run mine to 1k on rides out and that’s Cannock, often 3k away from the car but in eco always seem to get back ok, would like more data like the levo app but felt the trek was better to ride which is all it’s about! Would like a bottle cage booster battery don’t think there’s one for the trek yet?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles