Wheelsets that don't play well with enduro/DD/DH casing tires

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
What are you experiencing with aftermarket/ upgrade wheelsets with regard to ease of mounting and unmounting heavier casing Enduro, DD or DH?

I have noticed a big variation in difficultly to mount and dismount tires between various aftermarket wheelsets. Note -usually we run Maxxis DHR DD casing rear and Assegai front in either DD or Exo plus?

Here is what I have found with the various wheelsets we use in our home.

1. Bontrager Line Pro Carbons - rim diameter (Trek confirmed they are on the bigger size of the rim spec for a 29) and profile makes these very difficult to mount with thicker casing tires. Also, the Bontrager rim strip takes up much more space than using rim tape. To reduce mounting issues many folks, pull out the Bontrager rim strip and go with traditional tape to get some more space in the center Chanel. Working on these tires is always a 3-tire lever affair that is a battle. Setting the tire bead with a flash can is required the first time around but once they have been on the rim they are easy to set with just a floor pump.
  2. Race Face Next R31 - rim diameter and shape make these require a little effort to get on and off, but I can usually get by with 1 tire iron and some elbow grease. However, setting a bead on these wheels may take multiple tries with a flash can and can be a pain.
  3. DT Swiss EXC 1501 - rim diameter and shape make these a breeze to mount dismount and set the tire. I rarely need to use more than one tire iron and its many times a hands only event. I have always been able to set them with just a floor pump.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My bikes all have DT Swiss HX 1700 wheelsets as standard .....so no need to upgrade....and yes, fitting most tyre brands is a breeze

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
My i9 Enduros were a major PITA to mount my Schwalbes on. I’ve heard Schwalbe tires are more difficult than others, so it may mostly be the tire that’s to blame, but it took me 3 tire levers at the same time and tons of soapy water to stand a chance at getting them to pop over the edge. These weren’t even tough casings either, just their regular trail one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles